Grip and rail bummper mod KS14C

UKJ

Hello,

I would like to remove my ks14c pedals to add side to side grooves for more fore and aft grip.

I see the allen head set screws that are about 5.5 mm and have tried using considerable force to turn them but they will not budge?

Does anyone know what I am missing?

UPDATE,

I cut side to side grooves with a dremel cut off wheel at 9mm spacing, very pleased with fore, aft grip now.

Rail bumper installed.

Because I find myself idling in my tiny living room to please my wife protecting the tile floor, and protect my shins I added an automotive hard rubber tube on the KS14 pedal edges. I drilled and tapped M3 holes and the head is inside the tube. A m6 insert fit perfect at the ends.

Time will tell how long they hold up and I think I will remove before off road.

But now easy to make new ones when they wear out.

ukj

gripmod.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010006.JPG

@UKJif it is any consolation, I tried to remove mine to install the trolley handle a bit deeper and the Allen key twisted like a wrought iron railing without it moving. It cannot be a left hand thread as the trolley handle bolts screw in OK  to both ends. I'm hoping @Cloudwill know as he has completely rekitted his recently ;-)

Possibly permanent locktite has been used in which case heating the set screws with a soldering iron might work.

@Jason McNeilhas mentioned that KS will be offering new peddles so I'm quite keen to know how to get the old ones off myself ;-)

4 minutes ago, Keith said:

@UKJif it is any consolation, I tried to remove mine to install the trolley handle a bit deeper and the Allen key twisted like a wrought iron railing without it moving. It cannot be a left hand thread as the trolley handle bolts screw in OK  to both ends. I'm hoping @Cloudwill know as he has completely rekitted his recently ;-)

Possibly permanent locktite has been used in which case heating the set screws with a soldering iron might work.

@Jason McNeilhas mentioned that KS will be offering new peddles so I'm quite keen to know how to get the old ones off myself ;-)

I battled with this problem myself a few months ago. The screw in one of the pedals came out ok but the other screw didnt. It was stuck. The thread was regular thread. So i, like many other kingsong owners, screwed the trolley handle in without removing the original screws. It works ok but from time to time you have to tighten the trolley and being not too deep in, it unscrews a bit as you ride.

When you replace the old pedals, id say just try to spray some wd-40 into the hole to lossen up the screws....also. Maybe you could try to heat up that part of the pedal a bit, it should get the screws moving if its stuck. You dont need too high of a temperature for this.  Try with the lubricant first before you do anything else drastic.

Thanks for the replys.

Update

Using a very hot heat gun and carefully filing down a slightely oversized allen wrench to fit almost perfect I was able to remove the 4 black axel retaining "set" screws. There are normal direction threaded.

NOW,

The 4 pedal axle ends seem visible, but how to push them out if indeed this is what to do. I think this must happen?

I see no other option, but this risks damaging the alu threads themselfs?

I am thinking a rod just a little less diameter, say 4mmish and a hammer to tap them out, but maybe there is a "one way" push fit?

Bye the way, just for fun  I watch the news while idling in the hall with as little wall touches as possible, new record 32 cycles, yes I am already addicted as I knew I would be!

Also found a row road posts about 2 meters apart with a 45° curb next to, excellent fun to slalom in between while going up and down the curbs!

One foot seems so hard on the inner leg bone!!!

Reverse coming along slowly as expected but getting longer and more comfortable with each hour.

ukj

If it's like the Firewheel it is just a slightly bent rod and the two hex end cap screws to keep it in place. Mine has the setscrew and nylon washer to give it some friction so the pedal will stay up. You just drive out the rod with a screwdriver once you have the end caps off.

meGIPRP.jpg

@dmethvin

Excellent ;) Thank you so much, as I thought, but so nice to learn from those who know, this forum rocks!

I just now after reading this valuable info, gently tapped out the pedal axle and to inform other KS owners there is no small set screw (black in above photo) to hold the axle in place.

GREAT, now I can figure out how to either using a dremel with cutting disk or router with bit the same diameter as the front to back grooves and cut grooves, side to side, making squares, to afford better shoe to pedal grip as we do some hardcore off road and my feet slip off from time to time. Sorry for my grammer!

I will try and post photo when upgrade is finished.

Thanks again!

ukj

I think you'll find the rounded end is just to help you put it back in and it doesn't matter which end you put it in from.

The rounded bit just works like a taper to help to feed it through the holes if the center is slightly out of line.

Archived