Heard something rocking and turned out to be loose battery

Wheel Rider

I believe I was so close to having a battery explosion.  I feel obligated to share my story with other EU riders.

I've been riding my Airwheel Q3 for about a year and half.  I don't remember when I started noticing something moving inside whem I slightly rocked the unicycle.  I just ignored it as I thought it was always there.  But I recently noticed the loose part inside seemed to make a bigger movement.  I had to do something. Yesterday I decided to open it and take a look.  Once it's open, it was immediately clear its the battery that was moving inside its chamber.  All four pieces of double-sided tape were dried up and failed to hold the battery in place.  The plastic wrapping the battery started to break down and exposed the cells due to rubbing against the case.  

Looked further, I was so frightened to see some dried glue falling off and I saw 4 wires stuck between the metal plate and the case.  The dried glue was to fill the gaps between the screw columns and the battery(that explains bigger movement).  The metal plates are to divide the control and battery chambers.  The edges of the plates are really sharp.  The wires would eventually be cut if the battery rocked a few more times.   To prevent possible shorting the battery, I carefully moved the wires out of the gaps and immediately put tapes around the plated edges where the wires touch.  How Airwheel engineers fail to see the potential danger?  

Fixing the loose battery problem  easy I just used strong (3M 20 pound) double sided tape to hold the battery to the metal plates and use a glue gun to inject glue to fill the gaps between the battery and screw columns.  If I had not fixed it, the battery would eventually explod likely during my riding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016/1/25 at 3:29 PM, Wheel Rider said:

I believe I was so close to having a battery explosion.  I feel obligated to share my story with other EU riders.

I've been riding my Airwheel Q3 for about a year and half.  I don't remember when I started noticing something moving inside whem I slightly rocked the unicycle.  I just ignored it as I thought it was always there.  But I recently noticed the loose part inside seemed to make a bigger movement.  I had to do something. Yesterday I decided to open it and take a look.  Once it's open, it was immediately clear its the battery that was moving inside its chamber.  All four pieces of double-sided tape were dried up and failed to hold the battery in place.  The plastic wrapping the battery started to break down and exposed the cells due to rubbing against the case.  

Looked further, I was so frightened to see some dried glue falling off and I saw 4 wires stuck between the metal plate and the case.  The dried glue was to fill the gaps between the screw columns and the battery(that explains bigger movement).  The metal plates are to divide the control and battery chambers.  The edges of the plates are really sharp.  The wires would eventually be cut if the battery rocked a few more times.   To prevent possible shorting the battery, I carefully moved the wires out of the gaps and immediately put tapes around the plated edges where the wires touch.  How Airwheel engineers fail to see the potential danger?  

Fixing the loose battery problem  easy I just used strong (3M 20 pound) double sided tape to hold the battery to the metal plates and use a glue gun to inject glue to fill the gaps between the battery and screw columns.  If I had not fixed it, the battery would eventually explod likely during my riding.

How was your Airwheel Q3 twin-wheel scooter now, is it okay?:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived