New Ninebot E+ Owner & First Faceplant

dbfrese

I got my E+ about two weeks ago and have 17+ miles on it already. I was anticipating a long, steep learning curve, but my previous "pedal" unicycle experience really came in handy. Then again, it may have led to a little over-confidence. Yesterday I took my first serious "faceplant" -- I was going as fast as I dared in an empty parking lot (I've yet to hear the overspeed beeps or experience the pedal tilt) and I misjudged how close a speed bump was and couldn't get around it. I ended up on the asphalt with a few bruises, road rash on one shoulder and a strained tendon in my foerarm.  I had full protective gear, and glad I did. I doubt I will ever ride without it. If I did, my wife would likely kill me anyway! :P

Anyway, I'd already taken the protective foam off,'cuz I thought I was too cool for that -- and of course the E+ ended up with some deep scratches. Eventually I'll get some custom shells so I'm not too concerned, but I thought I'd try to polish it up a bit. 

I sanded out all but the deepest scratches, then remembered I'd gotten a Meguiar's headlight polishing kit for my car not too long ago. I used the series of abrasive pads, then the buffing wheel on my drill with the polishing compound. In a few minutes, it was looking almost like new! For those of you who have scratches that bother you, give it a try. Worked well for me.

Happy wheeling! 

It obviously would have been much more impressive if I thought to take "before pics" but trust, me, it looks tons better. Gouges were deep and ugly. It now has a decent shine to it. I might even go back and do it again and be a bit more aggressive with the coarser grit, now that I know I can get it shining again. 

IMAG0002.thumb.jpg.07e4c92c58ee12015cf3e

3 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

Wow..crash chipped ring also.  Must have been a bad one!

Yeah, it was pretty nasty. I'm just glad I didn't get really badly hurt. It was a good lesson, though one i'd rather learn in a parking lot than near traffic. I'm also glad no one else saw it!

Archived