MSuper light kit

Looks like I order a MSuper V2 in the next days. I've some ideas to make a cover with PU/ PUR and like to integrate some LED lights. I know @Kevin Lee had a kit in the past. I like a single/ duo LED headlamp and the same in red for the back. Has anyone an idea what parts to use/ where to order? @zlymex does any of your friends have a diy/ after sales light kit on their EU?

Can the recuperation used to indicate a downhill track? I think of dual light: One LED normal ahead and the other 10 degree down?
Braking can be indicated by the gyro signal?
=> a CAN bus connection to read the signals?

20 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Looks like I order a MSuper V2 in the next days. I've some ideas to make a cover with PU/ PUR and like to integrate some LED lights. I know @Kevin Lee had a kit in the past. I like a single/ duo LED headlamp and the same in red for the back. Has anyone an idea what parts to use/ where to order? @zlymex does any of your friends have a diy/ after sales light kit on their EU?

Can the recuperation used to indicate a downhill track? I think of dual light: One LED normal ahead and the other 10 degree down?
Braking can be indicated by the gyro signal?
=> a CAN bus connection to read the signals?

There was some talk earlier about custom brakelight and how hard it would be to do... since then, I've learned that the ACS712 -current sensor actually tells you also the current direction, so in theory, you should be able to make a circuit that can tell when the regenerative braking is occurring (ie. the current runs "towards" the batteries) and use that to light up the brakelight.

Being lazy, I just use a torch(Straight, with a 18650 cell inside) simply bonded on the handle. I often hold another larger torch in my hand if I feel necessary.

I do have some bicycle headlamps(for my lighting post project) but they are difficult to mount as the battery is separated from the head. I recommend this if mounting is not a problem as it's reliable and quite bright(880 lm each)

For the rear lamp, I use a ready made bicycle one. It's fully automatic with several lighting mode and auto shutdown etc. More over, it will fully lit up when brake because there is an accelerometer inside. 2AA cells powered, it incorporate a light sensor as well to turn itself off during the day(but still light up when braking)

Oh right, I also have these:

1-125W-3000LM-Car-Motorcycles-LED-Fog-Li

NcUoqxS.jpg

Can be run straight from wheel-battery, they can be used with 12-80V DC voltage. 125W power (per light), but in reality, probably most of that is lost as heat. A single lamp should give about 2000-3000 lumens (equivalent of car high beams). Ordered one with white "edge" light and one with red, but the one in the box that said "red" had a green one. And the white one stopped working sometime after taking this picture :D  But I already got a replacement (kept the green one in the end). Btw, that picture is taken in fully lit room, but the lights are so bright that it looks like it's dark.

3 hours ago, Cloud said:

@OliverH i cant wait to hear your review of Msuper when you receive it

I've driven it last year on a long tour, drained the 850 Wh battery. Inclines, off-road, small tracks - all the things where my IPS having problems with me was a new feeling. It needs power to take turns (compared with a KS) but in the end I need the power of real parallel batteries. I've seen some behaviour handling I've never realised on the MSuper. I like this kind of action taken. Maybe the MSuper has it also and I never reached it. I'm currently heavier than you @Cloud and it pushes me uphill like a rocket. I felt safe in the end of the tour. Never had that feeling with an EU befor. The MSuper is something like a tank and takes all road conditions with no problem. It's not an EU for skill driving. But it takes me with the big tire through all bad conditions where still an 16" struggles. It's not a beauty, the MSuper ist just there to make what it's intended to do.

I need a new EU and can't wait for any other info "leakage" to the new MSUper specs and I think it's to late for season 2016. If they change anything on the battery setup like on the KS I wouldn't be happy. And looking on the normal MCM4 you can see not all new is better than the old. Maybe they fix the high speed cut off with the new MSuper but this is not an issue for me, as I like cruising.

3 hours ago, esaj said:

Oh right, I also have these:

1-125W-3000LM-Car-Motorcycles-LED-Fog-Li

NcUoqxS.jpg

Can be run straight from wheel-battery, they can be used with 12-80V DC voltage. 125W power (per light), but in reality, probably most of that is lost as heat. A single lamp should give about 2000-3000 lumens (equivalent of car high beams). Ordered one with white "edge" light and one with red, but the one in the box that said "red" had a green one. And the white one stopped working sometime after taking this picture :D  But I already got a replacement (kept the green one in the end). Btw, that picture is taken in fully lit room, but the lights are so bright that it looks like it's dark.

So I need no additional transformer which waste space and I can upgrade to the 850 Wh battery

I read on the web something like 20W. Are there different versions?

23 minutes ago, OliverH said:

So I need no additional transformer which waste space and I can upgrade to the 850 Wh battery

Yeah, tested them with the Firewheel-batteries in the picture.

I read on the web something like 20W. Are there different versions?

The leds are 20W, but the wattage is marked as 125W, so probably the rest is wasted as heat.

Specification:

Type Headlight/spotlight
Material Strengthening Aluminum Alloy
Quantity 1 pcs
Color Black
Emitter Brand Cree
Emitter BIN U7
Number of Modes 3
Mode Arrangement High-Low-Strobe
Lumens 3000LM
Range 200m
LED Color (Central Light) Cool white (6000k-7000k)
Angel Eyes Color (Circle Light) Blue/Green/Red/White
Waterproof IP54
Input Voltage DC 12-80V
Actual power 20W
Light Power 125W
Environment Temperature -40-40 degree centigrade
Cable Length Approx. 90cm / 35"
Size (for one pcs) 8.6*13*9.2cm / 3.4*5.1*3.6"
Net Weight 0.88kg / 31oz

The "mode" is changed simply by turning the light on and off... high, low, strobe, then it starts from high again. A bit of an annoyance maybe. There are three wires, two positive + one ground/negative. Yellow (if memory serves) on positive + black on negative lights up only the "edge" lights, red + black lights up the main light (and the edge lights). I was actually expecting the yellow one could be used to change the modes.

EDIT: Or maybe they mean with the 125W that it's the same light power as with 125W car lights (halogen?). Haven't measured the actual current (and thus, power) they take.

15 minutes ago, esaj said:

Yeah, tested them with the Firewheel-batteries in the picture.

The leds are 20W, but the wattage is marked as 125W, so probably the rest is wasted as heat.

Specification:

Type Headlight/spotlight
Material Strengthening Aluminum Alloy
Quantity 1 pcs
Color Black
Emitter Brand Cree
Emitter BIN U7
Number of Modes 3
Mode Arrangement High-Low-Strobe
Lumens 3000LM
Range 200m
LED Color (Central Light) Cool white (6000k-7000k)
Angel Eyes Color (Circle Light) Blue/Green/Red/White
Waterproof IP54
Input Voltage DC 12-80V
Actual power 20W
Light Power 125W
Environment Temperature -40-40 degree centigrade
Cable Length Approx. 90cm / 35"
Size (for one pcs) 8.6*13*9.2cm / 3.4*5.1*3.6"
Net Weight 0.88kg / 31oz

The "mode" is changed simply by turning the light on and off... high, low, strobe, then it starts from high again. A bit of an annoyance maybe. There are three wires, two positive + one ground/negative. Yellow (if memory serves) on positive + black on negative lights up only the "edge" lights, red + black lights up the main light (and the edge lights). I was actually expecting the yellow one could be used to change the modes.

EDIT: Or maybe they mean with the 125W that it's the same light power as with 125W car lights (halogen?). Haven't measured the actual current (and thus, power) they take.

I think that rating is only to compare with power balls. Or do they become hot? With the 20W i thought: a bit high for the EU. That's 40 W if reduced to one light back and front. Need to look if they've something smaller with less W. But that path I should follow.

55 minutes ago, zlymex said:

Looks awesome! I've found one entry in taobao. Are there two LEDs in it? I saw a video(at 1:49) hint this

I haven't taken the broken one apart, but I think there might be multiple power leds inside. There's also one red led inside that burns also when only the edge lights (they call them "angel lights") are on, you can see the red-tint in the fisheye-lens in these pictures when only the edge leds are on

HTB1jBMZIVXXXXXTXFXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg?size=2

48 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

It seems they have focused beams like a spot light and don't work as a flood light?

Yes, it's a spotlight, needs a some form of diffuser or some mirror-type thingamabob to use as a flood light.

1 hour ago, esaj said:

I haven't taken the broken one apart, but I think there might be multiple power leds inside. There's also one red led inside that burns also when only the edge lights (they call them "angel lights") are on, you can see the red-tint in the fisheye-lens in these pictures when only the edge leds are on

HTB1jBMZIVXXXXXTXFXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg?size=2

Yes, it's a spotlight, needs a some form of diffuser or some mirror-type thingamabob to use as a flood light.

OK. I was confused by the sentence fog light you find on most sales platforms regarding Cree. The U7 is quite huge isn't it?

8 hours ago, OliverH said:

OK. I was confused by the sentence fog light you find on most sales platforms regarding Cree. The U7 is quite huge isn't it?

Yes, it's somewhat large at something like 13x8x8cm and weighing several hundred grams a piece. I originally bought them for the custom frame, getting them attached to the Firewheel shell might be trickier (but doable).

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

I use these lights and they are bright enough in the night.

Aziz light explains all ;) I like that movie (5th element), even if the English version asks are you German and not are you extraterrestrial :(

Which version did you install? Is that the double light? What is used for the back?

I take the Cree U2 (diameter 55mm, length 85 mm- the length will/ could be the problem) for the front. Backside will become custom with @esaj brake light circuit.

Can someone do me a favour and do a measuring from the main body to the "fender". I need to know if the Cree U2 fit there and can be protected by the PU/PUR cover.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Kells said:

@OliverH

What did you end up doing?  I just received mine, and am looking to add lights as well... 

Nothing yet. Still in the box. Picked it last Friday at the parcel station. Still not sure what to use (LED reflector or an LED panel).

Archived