Personal Safety Lighting - Guardian Angel Elite Review

BIGboiFASTboi

Intro...
Over the past several months, I have gone through bicycle tail lights, LED strip lights, and flashlights -- trying to figure out what the most convenient, yet effective safety light would be for me to carry on my person during evening/night rides.  The bicycle tail lights were cumbersome and limited in the way I could mount them to myself or my bag.  LED strip lights required me to carry an additional battery pack, and fiddling with settings that were not easy or quick to navigate.  Flashlights were difficult to mount, and had a bad throw pattern for people following me.  There were seemingly no *great* solutions for personal safety lights, that would give ample warning to those behind me that there is someone on the road, without blinding them out, or being a burden for me to use.  Then I found the Guardian Angels Devices!  

I had been looking at Guardian Angel Devices for quite a while, however I never bit the bullet because I was skeptical about spending $100 on a safety light.  Well, I purchased a hard shell back protecting backpack, the Point65 Boblbee 25L backpack, and I decided to deck it out with something that wasn't as cheesy as just running LED strips on the outside of that beautiful shell.  I wanted something streamlined.  Something highly visible from both sides, and behind me, easy to turn on and cycle through the different modes.  Something that had an internal battery with a high runtime, and has a solid build construction.  Lastly, I wanted something that I could easily swap from my backpack, to my shirt, pants, the EUC itself, etc.  (They have great mounting options, and it's all based around super-strong neodymium magnets.)  The Guardian Angel Elite ticked all of those boxes.  So, I went ahead and placed the order.  You'll find the review at the bottom of this post.  

** UPDATE: AS OF 2/9/22 THIS "PRICE HACK" IS NO LONGER  WORKING **
Price HACK...

Now, before you freak out about the price... $100 is a lot for a single light.  After all, even though it is a premium light, a hundred bucks could be a lot of tacos and beer!  Well, I recently received  some good news!  A few weeks after you purchase your GA Elite, you get an email offer from Guardian Angel, and they offer you $60 off of an additional GA Elite, or a free Guardian Angel Micro, if you leave a written and 30 second or more video review sharing your experience with the light.  I did that, and ended up making a full review video -- because I genuinely love using the light!  Anyways, once you submit your reviews, you will receive a confirmation email with a coupon code that allows you to purchase your second Guardian Angel elite for $41 + shipping. 

Bonus tip: Make your purchases using my "1196CLIP" promo code or URL, and you save even more!  I was able to redeem this promotion on both my original purchase, as well as my second 60% off purchase.  

How to Purchase...
Purchase the Guardian Angel at https://www.guardianangeldevices.com/p/elite-series-white-red-yellow-wearable-safety-light/?code=1196&campaign=AsReviewed (Or use Coupon Code: 1196CLIP for free shipping and a free clip.)

* Disclaimer: While I did pay full price to purchase this product.  I do receive a small kickback if you purchase using my referral link, or coupon code.  All proceeds go towards more gadgets to review in the future!  Thank you in advance

Video Review

Edited by Smokinsound
Needed to update "Price Hack" section which is reportedly no longer working. :(

I guess I'll see... yep. a hunit dollahs is way too much for a light, but I've got a light habit that's hard to kick so I got one. Actually, two—one for my son in law that bike commutes in the dark and rainy.

I got the 'submit a review' email and reviewed the universal clip mount, which is fine but the spring clip is so stiff it's a major pain to attach to anything so I'd recommend caution before buying that one. We'll see if I get the reduced price offer cuz if I do I'll take them up on it.

My current mounting solution of choice is to slide the included magnet mount inside the sleeve of my moto jacket (mesh, right now it's between the outside jacket shell and inner warmth/rain liner). That puts the light on my bicep without having to tolerate a strap and so far it's really nice. Very blinky, a bit above a car driver's eye level, and easy to turn off and on. The only thing I wish it had was a double or triple flash pattern like the shred lights. I'd like to mount another one on the top of my S18 because its rear light is beyond pitiful... so am eager to send them more money. Just not another Benjamin.

I also got the 'jaws' mount because they are/were running a "spend $99, get two mounts free" promotion. It's more useful than the universal clip because I can actually get it on and off without saying a lot of bad words. I clip it to the roll.nz on the MTen, which has no back light at all.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 5:30 PM, Tawpie said:

I got the 'submit a review' email and reviewed the universal clip mount, which is fine but the spring clip is so stiff it's a major pain to attach to anything so I'd recommend caution before buying that one. We'll see if I get the reduced price offer cuz if I do I'll take them up on it.

I think I received the "special offer" email about a month after the light was delivered.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:30 PM, Tawpie said:

My current mounting solution of choice is to slide the included magnet mount inside the sleeve of my moto jacket (mesh, right now it's between the outside jacket shell and inner warmth/rain liner). That puts the light on my bicep without having to tolerate a strap and so far it's really nice. Very blinky, a bit above a car driver's eye level, and easy to turn off and on. The only thing I wish it had was a double or triple flash pattern like the shred lights. I'd like to mount another one on the top of my S18 because its rear light is beyond pitiful... so am eager to send them more money. Just not another Benjamin.

I also got the 'jaws' mount because they are/were running a "spend $99, get two mounts free" promotion. It's more useful than the universal clip because I can actually get it on and off without saying a lot of bad words. I clip it to the roll.nz on the MTen, which has no back light at all.

One of the GA's strengths is definitely its mounting system!  I love how easy it is to move between devices, and even put on my shirt or bicep as you mentioned.  Super convenient, without having to but a light for every vehicle or outdoor activity.  

... and I agree $99 is much, but $60-70/each isn't so bad, especially if you get the free clips, to boot!  

Thanks for sharing!

Amazon, EBay.

Velcro the small battery/control box to top of helmet.  Very long running time from batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOFACE-Motorcycle-Helmet-Riding-Sticker/dp/B09K57GD2X/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?crid=10D2MHM097HFQ&keywords=helmet+led+light+strip&qid=1638926132&sprefix=helmet+led+%2Caps%2C576&sr=8-11

Edited by Paul A
Addition of Amazon link

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Amazon, EBay.

Velcro the small battery/control box to top of helmet.  Very long running time from batteries.

These are sweet.  My buddy runs it, but they peel off, especially in the high desert temps here in Arizona.  I also don't think they provide nearly as much awareness to drivers as the GA's.  

From the Amazon product description:

The 3M double-sided tape is more viscous,stick the light strip in position firmly, no need to worry about fall off; with waterproof design, can not be easily corroded, it is flexible and high-temperature resistance

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

The 3M double-sided tape is more viscous,stick the light strip in position firmly, no need to worry about fall off; with waterproof design, can not be easily corroded, it is flexible and high-temperature resistance

Totally understand what the description says.  I'm just sharing what my personal experience with it was.  With all due respect, they do fall off... Especially in the heat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

4 minutes ago, Smokinsound said:

Totally understand what the description says.  I'm just sharing what my personal experience with it was.  With all due respect, they do fall off... Especially in the heat.

We have extreme conditions!   my grip tape melted/peeled off my pedal 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

That is extreme conditions to be riding in, would be concerned about heat stroke.

Maybe consider an ice vest.

We mostly ride at night, during the summer...  Either way, 3M adhesive tape is known for failing above 90F.  I've never use it in any application that I wanted to be semi-permenant/permenant.  I'd probably use a silicone adhesive, instead.  

This is one of the reasons I chose Guardian Angel.  Everything attaches via clip, strap, jaws, and magnet.  They can be permenantly affixed to the mounts with screws if you don't plan on moving it between mounts/vehicles/bodies, like I do.  In my application, it's superior to an adhesive tape solution.  This thread is simply a review of my experience with the GA, and to share how to get a discount on the lights.  It wasn't really meant to be a general thread for safety lights, or as a place for debate.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul A said:

This is much higher quality than what comes on LED strip lights, I will agree!  Best on the market for extreme temperatures... Still gets gooey if left inside the car during the summertime... kinda like velcro does.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to note that the review discount no longer exists. I recently received the email and by submitting a review, you get a chance to win a free GA light of your choice.

Quite disappointed at this change. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, Waulnut said:

Just wanted to note that the review discount no longer exists. I recently received the email and by submitting a review, you get a chance to win a free GA light of your choice.

Quite disappointed at this change. 

Oh no, that really sucks to hear!  I suppose I'd better update the post to reflect this information!  I'm sorry this no longer works.  It was good while it lasted, I suppose.  Really disappointed that it didn't work for you, as well.

• BIGboiFASTboi changed the title to Personal Safety Lighting - Guardian Angel Elite Review
  • 9 months later...

I bought this helmet light, loving it, the second one I bought actually had a $10 discount coupon that unfortunately is not there now...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0948M2Y55

And I bought a rain cover for my backpack that is 100% reflective...love it... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TRMGW3H