Recomended tire pressure

Arie Stainfeld

I run 55psi. I know others that run 20psi. It's really a personal preference. At lower pressure, it's easier to go slow according to some. I like the absolute control at the higher pressures. I think your weight might also take a role in your decision. If I remember correctly, you can run up to 60. 

I do around 50. Like supersport said it gives you better control and it is more stable. Also gives you longer riding distance. The downside is a less smooth ride when you bump into 1-2 inch curbs etc. a compromise may be - pump the tire to higher pressure and change your riding mode to a softer mode (mine is on medium). When i ride is hard mode i am almost forced to reduce the tire pressure so as not to feel those bumps every time

I usually run at about 45psi but we finally got a nice day after a snowstorm and I was too excited to add some air so it was around 35psi. I have to say that it's a lot more comfortable to ride that low since you don't feel the bumps as much. 

I wouldn't say that higher tire pressures give more control, almost the opposite. You get better responsiveness and definitely more battery life since there's lower drag, but that friction with the ground provides more stability IMO because it makes the EUC less twitchy. I definitely wouldn't learn to ride with high pressures, it's harder.

19 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I usually run at about 45psi but we finally got a nice day after a snowstorm and I was too excited to add some air so it was around 35psi. I have to say that it's a lot more comfortable to ride that low since you don't feel the bumps as much. 

I wouldn't say that higher tire pressures give more control, almost the opposite. You get better responsiveness and definitely more battery life since there's lower drag, but that friction with the ground provides more stability IMO because it makes the EUC less twitchy. I definitely wouldn't learn to ride with high pressures, it's harder.

I would agree with @dmethvin I'm 160lb (72.5Kg) and I run at 45p.s.i.

Last week, whilst checking the pressure (which holds well on my KingSong) I decided to try 55p.s.i. This coincided with a frosty morning and I felt like I was skating on ice all the way to work. To my surprise, on the way home it was well above freezing and still felt like I was on ice. I reduced back to 45 p.s.i. and, sure enough, it was comfortable again. 

Tire pressure changes make a huge difference in responsiveness.  If I allow my pressure to drop, say, to 32 psi and then raise it again to just under 50 psi, I really have to reset my expectations on how a quick micro adjustments (turning) is going to work out for me.  Almost have to learn to ride again.  I exaggerate that a little.   Experiment.  If you make a big adjustment it may take some time for you to become accustomed to how that new pressure works for you.  Generally, I like to run close to 50, because I like the responsiveness, but as stated, when I become accustomed to a lower pressure level it is awkward when I re-pressurize.

2 hours ago, Ecko said:

I wonder how you got to 55psi! The new tire of the latest Ninebot One E+ Batch has a max pressure of 45psi! And the tire is also wider, its a 16 x 1.95!

IMG_20160204_103042.jpg

IMG_20160204_103106.jpg

My Lhotz says 30-45 on the side but I always pump to 50 or just under. No disasters yet.....I think they're just rough recommendations. I like how the bot tires are getting thicker. Definitely the way forward. If I get a bot in the future I think I'll pay extra for the big apple.

Like with a car tire pressure should depend on load (weight, speed) and road surface.

I (100kg) have mine (Lhotz) at 4bar = 58psi; for off-road use I would keep it lower 3-3,5

when it get's below 3bar, on the road I feel I have significantly less control

9 hours ago, Ecko said:

I wonder how you got to 55psi!

You are right, I never even looked, which is really weird for me because I'm sort of OCD.  But I do in fact use 55 PSI and like the ride there.  But you are correct in that my tire says 35-45.  Makes me feel silly that I missed that.  Thanks! :angry:    Just kidding, I appreciate knowing when I can make changes for the better.  I'll possibly drop to 45, maybe.

Archived