Kingsong 18XL Knobby Tire(s)

kristof_explorer

Hi, I'm relatively new to both eucs and tubed tires, and looking for assistance finding a suitable tire for a Kingsong 18XL. I primarily ride on trails so I'm looking for a good knobby tire. It's my understanding from what I've read here that a 2.50-14 dirt bike tire (like this one) has been found to fit, but beyond that, the tire sizes start getting confusing. This is the only style tire that comes up searching 2.50-14, but some listings refer to it also as 60/100-14, and there are far more options available in size 60/100-14, like this Kenda for example. So I guess, what I want to be sure of, is a 60/100-14 size tire actually interchangeable with a 2.50-14? Or if not, is the 2.50-14 dirt bike tire pretty much my only option?

And, regarding the tube, is my assumption correct that I'll need a size 2.50-14 tube, not 18x2.5, like the stock tube? If so, I'm having difficulty finding one with the necessary angled valve - would I have any problem using an angled adapter with a straight valve?

Thanks so much for any help!

Chris

Yes, 60/100-14 and 2.50-14 are interchangeable, just different standards of measurement.

The original tube is fine for that size, after all they are usually suitable one size up or down.

Besides, straight valves are usually too long to fit an angle adapter in the 18XL.

More info on the sizings:
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/19313-tire-sizes-explained/

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yes, 60/100-14 and 2.50-14 are interchangeable, just different standards of measurement.

The original tube is fine for that size, after all they are usually suitable one size up or down.

Besides, straight valves are usually too long to fit an angle adapter in the 18XL.

More info on the sizings:
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/19313-tire-sizes-explained/

Thanks mrelwood! That's exactly what I needed to know.

• Like 1

I have been looking over 3 weeks for new tire for mine 18XL

I got those hextech pedals.. It lifted my wheel more up, meaning i can fit 76-355 (18x3) tires.

18x2.5 are 64-355

Sadly the biggest problem are tire WIDTH.. The space in casing is 73mm meaning i can fit max 70mm width tires.

But in 18x3 size, there's not many in 70mm width.

Non lifted 18xl there's almost no tires than only original..

Most 2.50-14 or 60/100-14 are smaller than 18x2.5 64-355. Less tire from ground to rim (Tire height)..  I think?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Hey Funky, thanks for all the info, I'll definitely consider the lift idea. So far I've tried a 60/100-14 dirt bike tire, even with outer knobs removed was too wide, a 2.50-14 motocross tire, which just slipped off the rim when inflated, and I'm going to try one more 60/100-14 that may have small enough knobs to fit. The width is definitely an issue though. But I really hope I can find something that works and improves handling on trails. Have you found anything so far that can fit your lifted wheel?

1 hour ago, kristof_explorer said:

Hey Funky, thanks for all the info, I'll definitely consider the lift idea. So far I've tried a 60/100-14 dirt bike tire, even with outer knobs removed was too wide, a 2.50-14 motocross tire, which just slipped off the rim when inflated, and I'm going to try one more 60/100-14 that may have small enough knobs to fit. The width is definitely an issue though. But I really hope I can find something that works and improves handling on trails. Have you found anything so far that can fit your lifted wheel?

Mostly only street tires.. All off-road tires are to wide.. =(

(I'm also looking in tire height as i'm more heavy rider, i need the safety of more air pressure so i don't bend the rim by jumping, going over potholes.)

64mm vs 76mm in height big difference.

I'm looking at Pirelli Angel Scooter 80/80-14 tire atm, i heard it's around 70mm in width, sadly don't know if it's 100% true.. (Very hard rubber being scooter tire)

Being 80/80 size its 64m in height so.. Could fit original 18xl that isn't lifted also.

6 hours ago, kristof_explorer said:

which just slipped off the rim when inflated

That’s just wrong. I’ve seen that happen on one VeeRubber tire, and it may be model dependent, but don’t lose your faith in the size group because of that!

6 hours ago, kristof_explorer said:

I really hope I can find something that works and improves handling on trails.

My friend installed a “Minicross” (2.50-14) (kids’ motocross) tire on his 18XL. It has much smaller knobs than an actual Motocross tire, so they are probably a better fit.

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Being 80/80 size its 64m in height so..

Just a reminder on using the term “it is”… I’d replace it with “might be” or even “could be”. ;)  If you want to be sure, consider +/- 10mm. :facepalm:

6 hours ago, Funky said:

Mostly only street tires.. All off-road tires are to wide.. =(

(I'm also looking in tire height as i'm more heavy rider, i need the safety of more air pressure so i don't bend the rim by jumping, going over potholes.)

64mm vs 76mm in height big difference.

I'm looking at Pirelli Angel Scooter 80/80-14 tire atm, i heard it's around 70mm in width, sadly don't know if it's 100% true.. (Very hard rubber being scooter tire)

Being 80/80 size its 64m in height so.. Could fit original 18xl that isn't lifted also.

This looks like a nice tire, but I primarily ride on trails and especially now when everything is covered in leaves, I need something with as much grip as possible. Surely, something must fit...

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

That’s just wrong. I’ve seen that happen on one VeeRubber tire, and it may be model dependent, but don’t lose your faith in the size group because of that!

My friend installed a “Minicross” (2.50-14) (kids’ motocross) tire on his 18XL. It has much smaller knobs than an actual Motocross tire, so they are probably a better fit.

Just a reminder on using the term “it is”… I’d replace it with “might be” or even “could be”. ;)  If you want to be sure, consider +/- 10mm. :facepalm:

Do you mean, there was something wrong with the specific tire/manufacturer? One thing I noticed was the lack of a bead around the inner edge of the tire, that the Kenda I took off had. Do you have a link to any tires like you describe? When I search for this I get a few different results, some with clearly bigger knobs than would fit, I just want to be as sure as possible after trying so many already...

If there is such a variance between model and manufacturer, I assume, maybe there is a 60/100-14 that is small enough too. The smallest knobs I have found on 60/100-14 are duro dm1155, I just wonder if it will be too wide? I wish there were something more like the Veteran Sherman tire though, completely covered in knobs.

Many people like Heidenau K66 80/90-14

They make also 80/80-14.. But width is around ~74mm. Could cut/sandpaper ~3mm each side then should fit maybe.

If i was going to get a tire for my self i would ge that. xD At the momment number #1 choice for me.

It was mentioned in this tread, with size measure >

• Like 1

Do you mean, there was something wrong with the specific tire/manufacturer?

I don’t know if VeeRubber systematically makes overly large fitments, or if that specific model was made to fit some specific vintage motorcycle, or if it was a faulty item. We weren’t interested in giving them another shot.

Do you have a link to any tires like you describe?

These look a bit like the one we tried:

https://www.motofree.pl/product-pol-38994-Opona-Cross-KBF-2-50-14-Romet-Mini-Cross-14-Cali.html

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Parts-2-50-14-Tube-Type-Tire/dp/B087BC9JQ7

The Duro you linked to seems quite similar. And the Duro seemed like the knobs don’t reach beyond the edge of the sidewall, so it could be a good fit. But more than the width, I’d be afraid of the shake while riding, since the center knobs are spaced so far apart.

If there is such a variance between model and manufacturer, I assume, maybe there is a 60/100-14 that is small enough too.

I’m sure there is. More than the actual measures, the size groups often seem to point more to the purpose or style of the bike. For example, strictly by the measures, 2.75-14 and 70/100-14 should be pretty identical. But so far I’ve only seen 70/100-14 Motocross tires, while 2.75-14 points more towards vintage off-road or crossover bikes. And while 80/90-14 should be a good bit wider, luckily it’s often the perfect size for 18x3” EUCs, just like the 2.75-14.

Except for the Shinko SR244 2.75-14, which is much bigger than SN26, K66, or even the C-186 of the same sizing.

Edit: The K66 is a magnificent EUC tire, and the 80/80-14 is much smaller than for example the SN26, from which 80/80 and 80/90 are almost identical. The K66 80/80-14 looked like a 2.50-14 when fitted on the V11. If there’s a chance that it could fit on the 18XL, I’d run to get one and try!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Edit: The K66 is a magnificent EUC tire, and the 80/80-14 is much smaller than for example the SN26, from which 80/80 and 80/90 are almost identical. The K66 80/80-14 looked like a 2.50-14 when fitted on the V11. If there’s a chance that it could fit on the 18XL, I’d run to get one and try!

V11 has 40mm rim right?

The k66 width is around ~74mm. From above tread shown. Sadly 18xl wheel opening is around 73mm.. Need to cut around 3mm of each tire sides to fit sadly.

Don't know how wide is the tire walls by it self doh.. (Maybe tire walls are more wide than "knobs" that can be cut)

Michelin City Pro 70/90-14. Are a option.

(70 should fit.. and being 70/90 the height would be around ~63mm.. Don't know if the "tire knobs" are counted in)

Michelin City Pro  80/90-14 width is around ~78mm

The search continues for 18x3 tire that would fit in 73mm opening.. :efefb6a84e:

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I'm also interested on try another tire on my xk18xl and I found this post very interesting.
Since my 90% use of euc is on road, I'd like to install something like the Bridgestone Battlax SC Ecopia or the Metzeller Sportec street, both are available in the size 70/90 R14 that is the nearest to 2,5x18 64-355 stock on our wheel.
My only concern is about to fit a tubeless tire on a tubed rim, is this possible ?
Even more most people says that those tires are not so good on eucs since are projected for higher vehicle weight and so, they are harder than standard euc tires, this will result in a loss of comfort and the wheel is easy to wobble more than stock tires.

Does anybody did this test ?

• Like 2

What i have heard, hard tires makes for more smooth ride. (OFC if the road is smooth..)

Because hard tire doesn't change form under weight so easy. Also you can put less psi in, if original tire had 35 hard tires can have ~20ish.

To put them on rim it's kinda hard i heard.

Tubeless tire are more heavy..

There's also is this tire: MICHELIN PILOT STREET 70/90-14

I personally like not so smooth tires like: MICHELIN CITY PRO that i mentioned.

Hard tires are more protected, less chance to get flat.. Dent rim..

• Like 1

Well, the knobs on the duro 1155 in real life turn out to be gigantic as well, though the whole tire seems a little smaller than the others. It actually fits entirely inside the wheel well, but with rubbing, without being mounted. So, the outer knobs will have to be removed or reduced at least... At this point I'm considering just making the unicycle wider...

18 minutes ago, kristof_explorer said:

Well, the knobs on the duro 1155 in real life turn out to be gigantic as well, though the whole tire seems a little smaller than the others. It actually fits entirely inside the wheel well, but with rubbing, without being mounted. So, the outer knobs will have to be removed or reduced at least... At this point I'm considering just making the unicycle wider...

Is the tire knobs to high? Or to wide?

It's 60/100-14 right?

The only sad thing is these tires that are (60/100, 70/90, 80/80, 80/90) Some are more wider and some are smaller.

( I mean one 60/100-14 can be 60mm width/height, one can be closer to 70 width/height)

knobs = normally bigger (In width/height) 60 width can be closer to 70 with knobs, same in height 60/100 = should be 60 height but add knobs = 70+

If you can't find some euc user who has that tire, and could measure it.. It's all in luck buying tires. One can fit, next one can't.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

My only concern is about to fit a tubeless tire on a tubed rim, is this possible ?

Sure it is. Fitting is not the problem, but if you plan to actually run it tubeless, you have a plethora of challenges in front of you. Just use the tire as it were a tube type tire, and you’re golden.

harder than standard euc tires

They definitely are. But a lower tire pressure fixes that. I ran the V11 original 18x3 CST C-1488 at 2.3-2.4 bars, and I run the 80/90-14 Heidenau K66 at 2.0 bars.

loss of comfort

I don’t think so. If anything, I feel it’s more comfortable to have a “thud” and be done with the bump, than to have the tire wiggle for a while after the bump. But I’m of course comparing with relative tire pressures, meaning that for the same ride feel a more rigid tire requires less pressure. With the same pressure of course they would be less comfortable.

Actually the same goes for my car. A high profile tire was less comfortable in bumps than a medium profile one. I suspect the reason being the wiggly after effect a higher profile tire has.

and the wheel is easy to wobble more than stock tires.

Definitely not. This could vary from tire model to another, but the ones I’ve replaced my 18x3 tires with have been more stable, more comfortable, and less prominent to wobbles. Again, running them on the same pressure, besides being pointless, could turn this around as well.

My experiences are only for 18x3 tires on the MSX and V11, though I don’t see how the 18x2.5 would be rudimentally different.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

They definitely are. But a lower tire pressure fixes that. I ran the V11 original 18x3 CST C-1488 at 2.3-2.4 bars, and I run the 80/90-14 Heidenau K66 at 2.0 bars.

I would love to have Heidenau K66 tire, it looks so "sexy" and i have heard it's the best.

Sadly it's width is ~76mm. Even if you would cut side knobs, it would be around ~68mm.. 80/80 should fit 80/90 idk.. (Hextech pedals that lifted my wheel ~17mm)

After searched on the web, my conclusion is that there are only 4 possibile road tires 70/90R14 in the category street tires.

1) Bridgestone Battlax SC 70/90 R14 34P
2) Mezeler Sportec street 70/90 R14 34S
3) Michelin City Pro 70/90 R14 40P
4) Michelin Pilot street 70/90 R14 40P

For some reason, I can't find fresh "City Pro", all are with a very old DOT, like if this tire where discontinued and only old parts are available on the market, I don't want to use a 6-8 years old tire, so I'll exclude this from my choice.
The Pilot Street have a 40 load index, vs 34 of Bridgestone and Metzeler, this means that this tire is harder than the two competitors and I prefer a softer one, so, another one has gone from the list :D
I'm with Bridgestone and Metzeler, both have a nice look, I had the Metzeler on my motor bike and it was a very good tire, and it is cheaper than the Bridgestone.
I think I'll give a chance to the Metzeler Sportec Street.
Do you think I can use the stock tube to inflate the 70/90R14 even if this is a little bit bigger ? 

1 hour ago, digithom said:

After searched on the web, my conclusion is that there are only 4 possibile road tires 70/90R14 in the category street tires.

1) Bridgestone Battlax SC 70/90 R14 34P
2) Mezeler Sportec street 70/90 R14 34S
3) Michelin City Pro 70/90 R14 40P
4) Michelin Pilot street 70/90 R14 40P

For some reason, I can't find fresh "City Pro", all are with a very old DOT, like if this tire where discontinued and only old parts are available on the market, I don't want to use a 6-8 years old tire, so I'll exclude this from my choice.
The Pilot Street have a 40 load index, vs 34 of Bridgestone and Metzeler, this means that this tire is harder than the two competitors and I prefer a softer one, so, another one has gone from the list :D
I'm with Bridgestone and Metzeler, both have a nice look, I had the Metzeler on my motor bike and it was a very good tire, and it is cheaper than the Bridgestone.
I think I'll give a chance to the Metzeler Sportec Street.
Do you think I can use the stock tube to inflate the 70/90R14 even if this is a little bit bigger ? 

Most of those tires i have seen are ~2016-2018 (At least where i live). What is "DOT"? xD

Do age do something to them?

Why not.. Tube simply will get bigger.. It will take as much air it needs and stop at tire size. (70/90) Should not be much bigger anyways..

I liked city pro because they got anti puncture protection. 3x layers. And other people have mentioned it's very nimble.

I saw somewhere that Michelin tire are good till 10 years. When they are made. Most are good ~6 years. (No wonder why most are old then?)

Update us if/when you get it please.

Edited by Funky

7 minutes ago, Funky said:

Most of those tires i have seen are ~2016-2018 (At least where i live). What is "DOT"? xD

Do age do something to them?

DOT is the acronym of Department of Transportation, and near this mark is reported a code which represents the week and year of production of the tire, it is printed in the tire.
In the image below, this tire was produced the 42nd week of year 2008

fabryka-opon_75Q-0_1_-004969.jpg

Update us if/when you get it please.

Yes, of course :)

• Like 1

Yee haw, I have some success to report! 🤠

After removing the outer rings of knobs from the Duro 1155, I found that this tire fits height-wise without further modifications. Unless you particularly enjoy sculpting tires, I wouldn't recommend it to others, but it's a knobby tire, on an 18xl! After a couple minutes of riding and finding a good pressure (12psi) it only feels sketchy on turns when leaning it a bit too far, scraping the pedals. It was super scary at 35psi. Other than that it actually seems to have more control on pavement than the street tire, and it really doesn't feel too bumpy. I've only gone ~10mph so far but already it gets pretty loud :P

I'll have to report back on offroad handling after a good ride, but yay!

20211223_120746b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kristof_explorer said:

Yee haw, I have some success to report! 🤠

After removing the outer rings of knobs from the Duro 1155, I found that this tire fits height-wise without further modifications. Unless you particularly enjoy sculpting tires, I wouldn't recommend it to others, but it's a knobby tire, on an 18xl! After a couple minutes of riding and finding a good pressure (12psi) it only feels sketchy on turns when leaning it a bit too far, scraping the pedals. It was super scary at 35psi. Other than that it actually seems to have more control on pavement than the street tire, and it really doesn't feel too bumpy. I've only gone ~10mph so far but already it gets pretty loud :P

I'll have to report back on offroad handling after a good ride, but yay!

20211223_120746b.jpg

Looks good, i have found about ~17. 60/100-14 size tires with knobs.. (Most look the same, little bit different knobs on each..)

Some other user with Hextach pedals:

On 12/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

With the elevation stands included in the hextech pedals you can:

photo_2019-10-25_11-.jpg

Edited by Funky

Hi all! So after having my wheel pulled apart for a LONG 3 weeks, ordering and trying a couple different tires, this one fits perfectly and is tons of fun. Btw thanks to mrelwood for your postings, very helpful..

We've had a lot of snow up here, and the S20 doesn't look like it's going to get here until June if lucky, so time to turn my beloved 18XL into one sweet snow cruiser!

Been playing around with tire pressure, still dialing it in. I weigh 215lbs, and ran the stock tire at 40psi. But this knobby tire is definitely stiff, so removed 5psi but think I could go lower in softer snow.  Either way, the ride was bouncy and fun, just took a little bit of time to get used to the different dynamics of the wheel when turning. But again, so much fun, and just happy to be riding again!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DCM4YI6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_PYGGY64NCTB0WCRDF40A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3