Are you a leaner or dismounter?

Paulandjacquelyn

I roll forward and back like I'm on a unicycle not leanign and not dismounting. I must be weird 

1 hour ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

At stop light crosswalks do you lean on a pole to avoid stepping off or do you just step off and back on without thought?  In almost three months I've maybe stepped off 5 times at intersections so definitely a leaner

5 hours ago, eurider said:

I roll forward and back like I'm on a unicycle not leanign and not dismounting. I must be weird 

This is something advanced, right? Not every eu-cyclist can manage to do this.
I for one definitely can not (yet). Am training on it though.

I usually lean if possible, but every now and then I dismount with one foot, just to not forget how to do so. :P

stepping down is always my last choice ... first i try going very slow up to the crossing if the light is red. if it just got red and if there is enough space i do some circles/8's until it gets green, or hold on to some pole/wall ... or if there is really no other possibility i step down. 

if it stops beeing this cold ... i definitly need to learn going backwards and front/back on tight spaces ... 

What i usually do in smal intersections with the cars going across, i get into the street and find a car parked right there and hold on to the mirror :)  Or to the edge of the trunk...when the last car passes, i cross, and at that point i can get ahead of the other pedestricans coming from the side in front of them.

We try not to be obvious here in our place since EUC's and Hoverboards are not allowed in the streets and the streets are full of cameras. When there are pedestrians on the crossing, we "walk" our EUC's to cross the streets.

Where I live, there is street furniture and dropped kerbs everywhere. Even in side streets there is often a waist high bollards next to the dropped kerbs at junctions to stop cars mounting the pavement (sidewalk) . At least half the houses have drives so there are also loads of dropped kerbs mid street as well. If I want to cross to the other side of the road I pick a drive next to a lamppost so I can stop and check it is safe to cross. As a result I can do entire journeys withou putting a foot down at all. 

The bad news is I'm nowhere near good enough at mounting without support and end up practicing that in the park.

I love the idea of jogging backwards and forwards, but that's the sort of thing I'd need to practice on (softer) grass. Unfortunately, currently the grass is soft enough to sink up to the axle!

The challenge with dismount is terrain is never same..  Slopes, bumpy walks, people, all make me worried that if I "miss" the mount and am off balance even a bit any small bump could be issue( embarrassment more so) as people stare at the crazy guy wailing arms and cursing to catch balanced lol

Practicing Mounting and Dismounting Without a Pole is Paramount when riding around traffic.  If you don't have it down comfortably, you can easily send your wheel under a moving car or into a crowd in an emergency stop.

My first two rides I had not practiced it enough because I had a wide open 5 mile smooth trail, so no need.  The first time a car ran in front of me was very awkward, and could have ended dangerously (and yes, embarrassingly).  It can also give EUCs a bad name in the public eye and we don't want/need that.

I decided after that to practice Mounts & Dismounts until it was second nature before going into traffic again.  I'm still not an expert, but I'm confident that the wheel is Mostly under my control now.

Find an empty parking lot in the early morning or evening, and you'll have plenty of room to either make mistakes or conquer it.

I think it is important to have every option available in the quiver. I usually lean on a pole, it's the quickest restart. In fact at the corner across from my house I carefully cleared away sticks from the sign post so I didn't have a bumpy restart! Dismounting seems important to have available on streets in town, it's a quicker more controlled stop for me. I realized when I read @zlymex 's message above that I always dismount my left foot down; I have to start practicing with my right so I can take advantage of the curb. When possible, I slowly roll up to the intersection to try and not stop at all, but I need more practice before I can rock forward and aft more than one or two repeats. Last option is to bug out, jump off, grab the handle and get of the road when trouble is coming fast!

I am a leaner. Sometimes i go out of my way to find a post/pole/tree, waiting for the traffic light to go green from many meters away.

I can get on and off very well. My problem is that by stepping off and on again, my foot almost never lands exactly right. Readjusting my foot until it feels good is a hassle when i do it while riding. Riding with feet not well placed is not a real problem, just not relaxed!

1 hour ago, johrhoj said:

My problem is that by stepping off and on again, my foot almost never lands exactly right. Readjusting my foot until it feels good is a hassle when i do it while riding. Riding with feet not well placed is not a real problem, just not relaxed!

Good Points @johrhoj.  I use a pole any time it's there, but practicing to dismount was very helpful for when there isn't one.  Now I need to practice left foot dismounts as mentioned above by @Villac.  I have not done that yet and I can see times it would make a lot of difference.

On 25-1-2016 at 4:59 PM, SuperSport said:

Practicing Mounting and Dismounting Without a Pole is Paramount when riding around traffic.  If you don't have it down comfortably, you can easily send your wheel under a moving car or into a crowd in an emergency stop.

Couldn't possibly agree more. I practised this until I had it, could perfectly make a sudden stop and could easily mount and dismount without looking like a fool or potentially hurting myself or somebody else. Because a negative view on the EUC's is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Very important to be able to mount and dismount and feel at ease with it.

Do agree with @johrhoj as well, once I'm riding and my feet feel in a perfect stance, I'd rather hold on to a pole or the traffic light than dismount, just because it feels so good. :)

Archived