Is Suspension over-rated or still a gimmick? Wait for S20 or get V12?

I plan on buying my first EUC in April and I made my mind that I was going to wait and get the S20 but the more I think about it, I keep asking myself if suspension is really needed or improves the experience. 

I'm 110kg and live in a city with bad weather most of the year so I keep thinking about the V12 but I just don't want to destroy my rim because of my weight.

Also I've came from a OW so I've gotten used to the big tyre taking a lot of the bumps and stuff so I don't want to go to EUC and feel like I'm on a bike with no suspension.

Any advice would be great

• Like 3

Suspension most certainly has advantages. You don’t worry as much about smaller bumps in the road, your knees take a bit less of a beating. The ride is smooth and comfortable… there is a noticeable difference and on pavement it’s nicer for sure.

But you pay a weight penalty for suspension. And it’s far more complex so there are more things to fiddle with and go wrong.

On a hard tail you’ll develop skills that arguably make you a better overall rider, but you can def learn all you need to know on a suspension wheel too.

If comfort is your bag, suspension is the way to go. If simplicity and reliability is more important—non suspension is a good way path.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

I’m new to the euc world and did go with suspension (V11). But I’ve been a cyclist for many decades on traditional frames and suspension frames. I ride mostly in an urban environment with some light off roading these days. I would never go back to a non suspension bike. I currently have front shocks with a hard tail on my mountain bike. The streets in my city are crappy and having some dampening has saved me a number of times from unpredictable road conditions. I ride up and down curbs, down stairs, through river beds, basically I can go almost anywhere on my current setup. I could never do that on a road bike. That being said bikes are years ahead of where eucs are in the suspension era, but the new versions are what tipped me into getting one. 

• Like 3

If you ride trails, get suspension.  Oneweheels are fun, but they are toys compared to EUCs.  I go on loads of trails that onewheels would have zero chance of making it on, but that is southern California with lots of rocky trails.  The S20 looks to be a super wheel.  They've incorporated just about everything serious riders were asking for.  If it's in your budget, that's the one I would get.  

• Like 1

I’ve read so many people saying that they will never go back to riding a non-suspension EUC. Me included. Yet I haven’t read anyone who has tried a suspension EUC to say that they’ll never switch to one. Some are still waiting for the tech to catch on, sure, but the advantages are already so huge that many of us feel like the markets have already turned.

Kind of sad for the V12 though, since it’s a marvelous wheel in every other regard, and would deserve a long lasting spot on the markets which I don’t believe any non-suspension wheel will get anymore.

Since the suspension is first introduced for the enthusiast segment, it makes the current suspension wheels big and heavy and with a lot of power, range and features. The tech will surely drip down to mid-sized wheels as well, but that might take a few years still. Even I keep dreaming of the day that we’ll have a reasonably priced V10S with suspension, ~1300Wh battery, and 28-31 mph top speed… :dribble:

I haven’t found the V11 weight to be an actual problem for me, but the S20 weight definitely would be. It takes a good and healthy back to lift a 35kg wheel into a car trunk.

But if you’re waiting until April to buy your new wheel, I don’t think you should decide just yet. I’m confident that Inmotion will reveal their new S20 competitor before the S20 starts shipping. Personally I’m definitely waiting for that revealing before making up my mind on my next purchase.

• Like 3

I ride two 16” wheels, an S18 and a Sherman, and the suspension wheel is my least favourite wheel. Sure, it is a comfortable and cushy riding experience, but in the end, I just don’t feel as safe on one.

In fact, I think it is more dangerous overall. Maybe the S18 in particualr isn’t tuned right in some respect, but I’ll take my V10F or 16x over the S18 any day unless my route will consist of 80% cobblestone roads.

There are two major schools of how best to start EUCs -- get a relatively small used/inexpensive wheel to learn on and upgrade later (selling the learner wheel at minor loss or passing it down or keeping for family/friends, small errands etc) or buying the wheel you eventually want to ride when you are great (because you saw batman riding this thing with great success and for once you can afford the [subjectively] very bestest and latest of something). It is generally easier to learn on a lighter/smaller wheel (it would still be larger, heavier and faster than a OW). You also won't worry as much about crashing. Suspension adds another layer of fragility here.

Waiting for the S20 as a first wheel might be the wrong/risky choice in any case: it is a big step for KingSong, there are many innovations and a lot of pressure. You might wind up waiting til midsummer or later only to encounter first-batch issues. Unlike onewheels, EUCs often need an extra iteration or two before most problems are ironed out. It is best to leave new releases to experienced riders simply because they will have an easier time identifying and fixing issues. 

Even if you want to eventually get the S20, It would be a shame to just sit out the wait. I would get a well-proven starter-medium EUC in the meantime and get to learning. I would pick a non-suspension one (cheaper, lighter, more robust, less maintenance), e.g. V10F, 16X or even the smaller 16S,V8S -- all these wheels still beat the OWGT in most specs. I have not tried a OW, but most EUCs have a 16"x2.125" or larger tire vs 11.5"x6.5" on the OW. I think the larger diameter alone should eat bumps better despite less width. Many members here have OW experience and can easily confirm (or deny) this statement.

Edited by yoos
  • Like 3

I started with KS-16S (680Wh) and I must make a note: do not start to learn riding EUC on big/complex/top class.
You, or better said EUC, will often fall, thats normal learning process (with increasing probability of higher class EUC). And make a scratches/dmg etc. is easier acceptable on cheaper thing (well, it stills hurt a mind as sooner or later you will be addicted to your EUC).

• Like 2

One experienced local rider has taught about a dozen newbies to ride during this year’s weekly EUC meets, all successful in free-mounting and riding by oneself in about 10 minutes, all with his precious own 34kg Sherman. He has a good technique for how to teach, so only a few riders have even had the wheel tumble.

I don’t see starting to learn with a large wheel to be an issue. We learn to ride with 200 kg motorcycles, to drive with 2000 kg cars, and to fly with however much an aeroplane weighs… and so on. The learning technique and methods are different though, so having learned on a flippy V5F only gives you that specific experience and skill. Numerous beginners have recently learned to ride with the large, relatively heavy, and spectacularly tall V11. It’s just a different learning path.

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, Junior said:

I plan on buying my first EUC in April and I made my mind that I was going to wait and get the S20 but the more I think about it, I keep asking myself if suspension is really needed or improves the experience. 

I'm 110kg and live in a city with bad weather most of the year so I keep thinking about the V12 but I just don't want to destroy my rim because of my weight.

Also I've came from a OW so I've gotten used to the big tyre taking a lot of the bumps and stuff so I don't want to go to EUC and feel like I'm on a bike with no suspension.

Any advice would be great

I have not had the "pleasure" to ride a OW, yet. But from what I have seen it has its limits in terms of speed and how fast to accelerate or brake due to risk of a nose dive. 

I think you will get 1.1x the ways to go about learning how to ride an EUC by the number riders you ask. And what model to use 2-3x as many different answers. 

I would recommend to be careful of speed until you have like 2500+ km in you legs. It has to do with body subconscious reaction in case of surprises or an emergency. 

Now since we know still very little about the S20 in terms of feel and how it rides and looking at history 1st batch seems to always have some extra quirks in the box. For that reason I would not have the S20 as a prime pick. 

Question is then to go for a second hand wheel. At this you are always at risk of getting a bad deal. It is hard to judge in the beginning if it is your skill or the wheel that cause problems. 

No matter what wheel you buy I doubt it will be the last. So if you want something that is well proven. Fairny simple to service and that can take a beating and practical all around I would look at KS18L or XL version. It depends on range ang speed you plan to ride. They both have same top speed but throttling is different and due to this top speed safety is slightly different too. On the other hand price and weight goes up with XL version. 

A cheaper lighter version is the Inmotion V10f. The benafits of this are a fairly light wheel at a lower price. Not a top speed wheel but fine to be a light complement wheel after an upgrade to a fast or more complex wheel. 

This is my overall go to tip for most rides. Unless they have anything specific they want from their wheel. It is about finding a start, once you know more what you grow into or expand your view how you can use the EUC that is when you are ready to spend more money too to get what you at that point want. The lesser money you use on first wheel the more or earlier you can buy the next real solution. 

It is the way I adviced people buying their first PC too. Most don't know what they are getting into. Some will turn out to be gamers others creators others will only be surfing the web and few will never get to use it.

In many way an OW is similar yet so very very different to an EUC. 

Sorry for the long text. If you look at my profile/signature then you will see I did the same thing. 

I will give out a secret bombshell here to. :popcorn:

I really doubt the S20 will be the only new wheel for 2022. I have a gut feeling something else will come up to be discussed too. :ph34r: But that will also be a 1st batch decision to consider too. 

That is how much I dare to say right now.

• Like 2