Help me decide between the V8S and the V10F

Hey all, 

Right now I have a mten3, v11, and v12

I'm looking for a wheel that fits in between the mten3 and v11:

• Light/maneuverable
    • Easier to carry up stairs or put in the trunk of a car
    • trolleying for grocery shopping
    • less likely to tip over on people who I'm teaching to ride.
    • can be used for walking the dog and picking up trash in the hood.
    • can get off grass and back onto a sidewalk ledge easier than the m103
    • can climb a curb without threatening a cut-out would be a plus.
    • sidewalk riding. 
  • Safe
    • Waterproofing
    • Low chance of 'cut outs' for beginners
    • durable
    • won't spin like a dervish when it falls over
  • Good for learning
    • won't require extreme precision on ankle placement like the mten3
    • isn't top-heavy like the v11&12 (or heavy in general)
    • Tricky riding, like learning to spin one-legged.

I'm about 200lbs (90kg), but I know how to ride. Most of all I want it to be a learning wheel for my wife after the baby pops, she's about 130lbs(60kg). Also for my dad and brother who are both about 200lbs/90kg.

Both wheels seem like they fit the bill, but on one hand Pico says he prefers the v8 for tricky riding, and on the other the v10 has the 2000W motor which seems like it'd increase safety/make it more useful on city streets where 20mph riding seems the safest. I also can't really estimate how much the extra 15lbs of the v10 will make learning a challenge for my wife. And the v10F is not really a huge price increase over the v8s

Is it a toss-up? Am I struck with analysis paralysis? Will either of them not be a significant improvement on my current stable for the needs I outlined? 

Thanks for pondering my predicament!

Richardo

Edited by Richardo
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Richardo said:

I also can't really estimate how much the extra 15lbs of the v10 will make learning a challenge for my wife. And the v10F is not really a huge price increase over the v8s

Apparently the weight difference is much less - around 8.5lbs. The V8S weighs 37 lbs compared to 45.4 lbs of the V10F. The V8S was initially announced as 33 lbs, but it wasn't fulfilled. (There are apparently two V8F-V8S motors in existence, a light one and a heavy cheaper one (800g difference). The V8S and recent V8F batches use the heavy motor. Perhaps some sellers do stock a lighter version with the lighter motor, but I wouldn't rely on it. Best check with your intended seller.

If the V8S is indeed only available at 37 lbs I would pick the V10F.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both are safe and easy to learn on, so that takes care of 2 out of your 3 requirements.

But then you also mention safely using this on city streets and going 20mph. This requirement is directly opposite of light/maneuverable/sidewalk riding. You need to prioritize which of those requirements are more important. V8S of course is more maneuverable but it is not a city street wheel, with a realistic top speed around 16mph for 200lb rider, and someone who is not riding curbs or steep hills regularly. V10F will get you the 20mph safely and more power but it is still not intended for city street use - you should be using V11/V12 for that. 

With that said I would pick V8S. The V10F use case overlaps too much with V11/V12 to make it a good buy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wise words in all replies already. As you said your self, they both fulfill the requirements, although @conecones is absolutely right in that 20mph target speed in any place or on any surface really, is not what the V8S can safely be used for.

I’m 193cm and was about 95kg when I last rode the V8 (original version). No matter how much battery and output power you’d add in that wheel, it’s a really small wheel for a guy my size. I wouldn’t dream of riding it near it’s top speed even on familiar smooth pavement. For a guy my size, the V8 series is a trick wheel, or a last .5 mile solution at best.

The V10F on the other hand has much more value as a vehicle. No problem riding 25mph on that one, even for me. Even on my current weight… :P

Yes, it overlaps much more with the V11 and V12 (envious!), but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. If you want two wheels that are good and suitable for you, of course they will overlap plenty.

There are/was a few really tiny females (50-60kg) riding the V10F in our community, and none of them would’ve ever changed to a smaller one as their main wheel. As always, new is new, and the V10F will feel big if you’re only ridden a smaller one. But that will go away in a matter of minutes on the V10F, and going back is already going to be a downer.

I would only consider the V8S in your situation if the V8S cost like half of the V10F or less. Which I’m pretty sure isn’t the case.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This all depends on whether the aforementioned 130-lbs wife is the one who would need to regularly lift it up & down stairs or put it into a car trunk. If that's the case, gotta go with the V8S or KS-16S. (My g/f can barely lift the V10F and considers it entirely too heavy/cumbersome to do so regularly.)

Otherwise the V10F is an interesting tweener that offers a bit more perf at a bit more weight but still decidedly lighter than the next tier up.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 11/23/2021 at 12:00 PM, conecones said:

Both are safe and easy to learn on, so that takes care of 2 out of your 3 requirements.

But then you also mention safely using this on city streets and going 20mph. This requirement is directly opposite of light/maneuverable/sidewalk riding. You need to prioritize which of those requirements are more important. V8S of course is more maneuverable but it is not a city street wheel, with a realistic top speed around 16mph for 200lb rider, and someone who is not riding curbs or steep hills regularly. V10F will get you the 20mph safely and more power but it is still not intended for city street use - you should be using V11/V12 for that. 

With that said I would pick V8S. The V10F use case overlaps too much with V11/V12 to make it a good buy.

Could a 140# rider ride a V8S at about 18-19mph realistically for 15 miles with a mix of hills and flats (well maintained sidewalks riding)?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SavageCat said:

Could a 140# rider ride a V8S at about 18-19mph realistically for 15 miles with a mix of hills and flats (well maintained sidewalks riding)?

140 what? lbs or kg? 

Kg - no. (Technically you could. But you wouldn't wanna do it..)

Lbs - easy yes.

As someone who wanted to ride regular bike speeds. 13-17mph. And now after ~500 miles riding mostly around 22-25mph. I highly recommend checking something faster. (Or you may be "needing" an upgrade pretty soon.) Or if you are okey going ~19mph then forget i said something. :) 

Just wanted to say that. As my plans also changed after little bit of riding.. And i was so happy that i went with little bit faster wheel from the start. From original plan 22mph wheel to 31mph wheel. (All i wanted was 22mph, but i knew i would be riding close to it's limits.. So i went with safer option and got myself little bit bigger wheel.)

Edited by Funky

44 minutes ago, Paul A said:

140 kg is 308 lbs.

V8s has maximum rider weight limit of 260 lbs.

And?

ks16s also has 265 lbs limit. But it didn't break under my fat ass. :D If one doesn't jump curbs and simply rides more or less smooth ground (no off-roading) You can go past "limits".

And my personal ks18xl some pages say also 260 lbs. Other pages say 300 lbs.. Who knows. I may be "safe" or may be over said limit by ~20lbs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe just do what this guy did.

He made it himself.

Mar 27, 2022

I would need it 2x bigger size for my fat ass. Thanks for reminding AGAIN. I'm going now eat my "feelings" away. :D 

At least 4x jets per hand instead 2x. :D I bet it has worse range than regular euc also..

Edited by Funky

34 minutes ago, Carey said:

I am extremely new to the EUC world and am actually looking for my own first EUC, but I bought a V8S for my son to use at college 2 months ago and he loves it.  He used it to learn on and so did I and my daughter.  I don't have enough experience to compare the V8S to any other wheel, but I can tell you that it was a very easy wheel for three different sized and aged people to learn on. Since that is one of your intended uses (for your wife to learn on), hopefully this is some sort of help.

P.S. As for me, I'm looking to buy a GW EX as my first EUC and wish you luck in your decision.

:barf: begody. Sorry i had to vomit.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:21 PM, Carey said:

I'm looking to buy a GW EX as my first EUC and wish you luck in your decision.

The EX was a very unsuccessful model, for good reasons. Also the manufacturer doesn’t make spare parts to others than the very latest models, so you may run into issues when you have to fix the wheel. Best to look at other wheels if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2021 at 6:10 PM, yoos said:

Apparently the weight difference is much less - around 8.5lbs. The V8S weighs 37 lbs compared to 45.4 lbs of the V10F. The V8S was initially announced as 33 lbs, but it wasn't fulfilled. (There are apparently two V8F-V8S motors in existence, a light one and a heavy cheaper one (800g difference). The V8S and recent V8F batches use the heavy motor. Perhaps some sellers do stock a lighter version with the lighter motor, but I wouldn't rely on it. Best check with your intended seller.

If the V8S is indeed only available at 37 lbs I would pick the V10F.

4 kilograms is a lot. That would make the V8S still at least 20% lighter than the V10F. Since he already has a V12, i would vote for the V8S, its also the most recently released.