King Song Next Level Slides and Sherman's low pedals

UniGrad

Dude, Arc my man! I was not aware you went by the handle UniGrad on these forums. 

Longtime subscriber. I just got my self a used Sherman and agree on the pedal height. I own a S18 so I'm used to high pedals.

I believe you can get higher pedal hangers for the Sherman which if they do, i am definitely getting them as I do a lot of off road.

I was pleasantly surprised how stable the Sherman is off road. Besides the extra leg work to absorb bumps, rocks, dips, etc. I'm loving it so far. :D

Hope your legal battles are going in your favor. Best of luck mate!

Edited by 5Cauac
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

I just got my self a used Sherman and agree on the pedal height. I own a S18 so I'm used to high pedals.

I believe you can get higher pedal hangers for the Sherman which if they do, i am definitely getting them as I do a lot of off road.

@5Cauac just to make you aware, the "raised height pedal hangers" were advertised/stated by Veteran to be 1cm higher than the original but in reality they ONLY increase the height by half that at 5mm.

I had planned some time back to upgrade from the knobby to a street tire and so I also ordered the "raised height pedal hangers" to have on hand and swap out during the strip down. Once I had stripped the Sherman and taken the originals off, I did a side by side comparison and have included the photo of the measurements here.

In my case, although disappointed that I ONLY gained a real world 5mm height increase, I still considered the work/cost involved worthwhile due to loosing a little bit of height swapping from the larger diameter knobby (due to the knobs) to a 80/90-14 Michelin City Pro! (but a nice gain in width and a much rounder profile).

For your situation though, you may want to weigh up whether ONLY achieving a 5mm gain is worth the cost/work involved, as I also had to replace the 4 axle shims due to them being both badly gouged and bent/twisted (Veteran had also used Red Loctite during the torqueing up process of my axle nuts).

Hope this helps.

Sherman pedal hangers

Edit: The countersunk holes in the New pedal hanger were made by myself, as I discarded the "Joke" screws that Veteran have held in with Hot Glue (or was it dried up chewing gum :facepalm:) and modified the fixing method to some drilled and tapped inserts epoxied into the ends of the Roll Bars to take a countersunk cap screw!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

You just saved a brother some cash. :D

Glad to help a brother out!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

@5Cauac just to make you aware, the "raised height pedal hangers" were advertised/stated by Veteran to be 1cm higher than the original but in reality they ONLY increase the height by half that at 5mm.

I had planned some time back to upgrade from the knobby to a street tire and so I also ordered the "raised height pedal hangers" to have on hand and swap out during the strip down. Once I had stripped the Sherman and taken the originals off, I did a side by side comparison and have included the photo of the measurements here.

In my case, although disappointed that I ONLY gained a real world 5mm height increase, I still considered the work/cost involved worthwhile due to loosing a little bit of height swapping from the larger diameter knobby (due to the knobs) to a 80/90-14 Michelin City Pro! (but a nice gain in width and a much rounder profile).

For your situation though, you may want to weigh up whether ONLY achieving a 5mm gain is worth the cost/work involved, as I also had to replace the 4 axle shims due to them being both badly gouged and bent/twisted (Veteran had also used Red Loctite during the torqueing up process of my axle nuts).

Hope this helps.

Sherman pedal hangers

Edit: The countersunk holes in the New pedal hanger were made by myself, as I discarded the "Joke" screws that Veteran have held in with Hot Glue (or was it dried up chewing gum :facepalm:) and modified the fixing method to some drilled and tapped inserts epoxied into the ends of the Roll Bars to take a countersunk cap screw!

I came up with about the same... 5mm. Of course this is only IF you don't already have the 'higher' hangers. Veteran switched over fairly early on in their manufacturing. New hangers and rims came out about the sime time, iirc. I gained a few mm with hangers, but promptly lost them again, when I went to my pirelli street. I feel the hangers did make a little difference, but it damn sure aint enough to magically make it an 'off-road' capable wheel.

I like your thinking about the recessed bevels to glue some screws in. My sherm came brand new with loose screws and no pipe to find purchase. I fixed them with rtv and pushed the factory screws in. I SHOULD have went uber pimptastic, recessed the holes and rtv'd some stainless screws in. Obviously they don't get much pressure. Hell, how could ANY of it, its the cheapest thin wall tubing a person could find...:efee612b4b:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I like your thinking about the recessed bevels to glue some screws in

Shane, how very dare you suggest that I would stoop so low as to resort to the very slap dash method I was attempting to rectify by gluing screws back in :facepalm:, surely you jest good sir!!??

My solution was to make then insert and epoxy a plug into the ends of each of the 4 tubes and then drill and tap into each plug to accept 5mm stainless countersunk cap screws, to match All the side panel screws I'd also replaced immediately with stainless!

Pedal hanger mod

Edited by fbhb

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

Shane, how very dare you suggest that I would stoop so low as to resort to the very slap dash method I was attempting to rectify by gluing screws back in :facepalm:, surely you jest good sir!!??

My solution was to make then insert and epoxy a plug into the ends of each of the 4 tubes and then drill and tap into each plug to accept 5mm stainless countersunk cap screws, to match All the side panel screws I'd also replaced immediately with stainless!

Pedal hanger mod

Fair enough. Tbh, I havent had issue since I glued mine in. I know it sounds janky, but they really don't hold much. If I REALLY cared, I could always have a pipe fitter, bend me up some titanium, and tack inserts into that. I guess if I used my rails for sitting, they may need more solid solutions. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I guess if I used my rails for sitting, they may need more solid solutions. :)

Yep, a seated option is exactly my next addition/upgrade to the Sherm. I'm just now getting All the parts in to add a removeable/hinged Sur-ron seat set up, especially as my Sherman rides are Always maximum range!

Edited by fbhb

On 11/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, Richardo said:

Link us one of your good sliding videos!  I watched two so far and now I have to go to bed. Good channel but I wanna see one of these >10' slides!

Here's the channel if anyone wants to save a search

From memory one of the biggest slides I did was at the beach on the Sherman. It was closer to 25' I think. Here's the link to that vid (it's at the 1 minute mark)

Also thanks for checking out the channel.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:01 AM, 5Cauac said:

Dude, Arc my man! I was not aware you went by the handle UniGrad on these forums. 

Longtime subscriber. I just got my self a used Sherman and agree on the pedal height. I own a S18 so I'm used to high pedals.

I was pleasantly surprised how stable the Sherman is off road. Besides the extra leg work to absorb bumps, rocks, dips, etc. I'm loving it so far. :D

Hope your legal battles are going in your favor. Best of luck mate!

Hey 5Cauac yeah I was on these forums with the name UniGrad before making youtube vids.

It's great to hear from a long time subscriber! Sorry for the late reply here.

Yeah the Sherman is an awesome machine. I love it too. Currently mine is still in pieces and it will stay that way until I get word about the legal issues.

Shouldn't be much longer I would imagine.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:38 PM, fbhb said:

Hope this helps.

Sherman pedal hangers

Yeah wow 5mm is nothing. I think the knobs on the tyre are more than that.

Any amount of height increase is a good thing but when it's that little for that much work it makes it really hard to be like "yeah let's do this".

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:35 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I came up with about the same... 5mm. Of course this is only IF you don't already have the 'higher' hangers. Veteran switched over fairly early on in their manufacturing. New hangers and rims came out about the sime time, iirc. I gained a few mm with hangers, but promptly lost them again, when I went to my pirelli street. I feel the hangers did make a little difference, but it damn sure aint enough to magically make it an 'off-road' capable wheel.

I like your thinking about the recessed bevels to glue some screws in. My sherm came brand new with loose screws and no pipe to find purchase. I fixed them with rtv and pushed the factory screws in. I SHOULD have went uber pimptastic, recessed the holes and rtv'd some stainless screws in. Obviously they don't get much pressure. Hell, how could ANY of it, its the cheapest thin wall tubing a person could find...:efee612b4b:

Hey Shane nice to see you drop by. I'm gonna do a video soon about the convo we had about paragliding vs EUC. Remember that? How I asked which one would you give up if you had to give one of them up for life.

• Like 1