Mango

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

As an example tubeless tire. This has a benafit to be able to fix punctures without removing the tire and also give more sidewall strength as wheels gets heavier and less risk för snakebite punctures/valve tearing from tube due to torque forces and no battles to get the valve in a good position. It would also give a more mc feel to quality. 

But there are downsides to it too. As a heavier tire means more centrifuge force as speeds get higher making turning move difficult. Inmotion listen but the end decission comes from testing and what impact it has on other things. 

Kudos to Inmotion to actually test ideas, contemplate the pros and cons, and then make the final decision. 

Another thing I have raised on more than one time is use of stainless screws. But I got an explanation to why this is not used now, a very valid reason. One that I never considered before. But as wheels at higher cost tend to live long at the customer and we also tend to ride not just summer season in some areas, service play a much bigger role now. So we will see if they come up with a better solution.

I am not a big proponent for stainless steel fasteners. There are always pros and cons. 

Things at Inmotion is not happening at random. And one thing is very clearly is the V12 mosfet problems are a thing that they take very large steps to avoid in future designs. Which also bring a lot of other benefits due to this. 

Now I am curious on what they create. I like my V11. That weight is no problem riding. And it is manageable when you need to lift it a few stairs or into a car or do service. 

Inmotion know this. But speed is now very high on the list of what sells this upcoming wheel. With the necessary construction to have safety margins too. 

Thank you for sharing more info. It just reinforces my decision to wait for the V13 before I pull the trigger.

Edited by techyiam

Random thoughts … after 13,000kms on V10 and a Sherman and now considering a “bonking” wheel like V12T or RST or Master or V11.

App map tracking, social, and ride camera logging, data is something I value.

Still on the fence about complicated suspension if it ends up weighting more than the RS19. 

To me the suspension does not have to be perfect. Something like rubber hinge at the pedal hanger to dampen something. Or some composite wheel/rim that absorbs. 

I want durable, torque, speed, and weather resistance. 60-80km is ok. I dislike proprietary electronic connections. Which is why I kind of like Begode ecosystem. If they updated the RS shell and make it lighter… 

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

Another thing I have raised on more than one time is use of stainless screws. But I got an explanation to why this is not used now, a very valid reason. One that I never considered before

I'm really interested to know what the reason is could you elaborate? 

15 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Let me guess: stainless steel is softer, prone to stress corrosion cracking in chloride environment and binds up.

13 minutes ago, Eucner said:

Let me guess: stainless steel is softer, prone to stress corrosion cracking in chloride environment and binds up.

Possibly. And these would be good reasons. 

But I think the point is not stainless or something else. There must be a way to build these wheels as reliable and serviceable as mopeds, e-bikes, and other PLEVs. Those don’t have major problems with rusty screws and they are regularly kept outside in rain. 

• Like 1

I imagine it might be cost but stainless steel isn't just one product but many alloys. There are so many types with lots of different characteristics. If you are interested this link explains it in great detail..

https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2874

and explains how some stainless steel is magnetic too.

3 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Once Inmotion go public with more info on V13 we might know how the approach this.  For now they took on board the reason to have screws that works to make service easier. Material is just on point of this discussion. 

The overall impact if they were to use stainless screws is something I didn't consider but it made sense to me why they used the material they used up until now. Like all other major wheels that I recall. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

explains how some stainless steel is magnetic too.

This would mean a lot to manufactoring process. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Slightly off topic, Madpack said that he is hoping for Inmotion to ship him the V13 for review in July. On top of this, he is expecting the V13 to be the wheel of the year for 2022. Speaking of whom, I thought I was negatively misled by the negative vibe that he conveyed his S20/22 review video.

Quote from the S22 topic.

Sounds like the V13 (are there multiple variants?) might be closer than expected.

16 hours ago, squirrel said:

Fool me once...

Sure, I want to know more about the V13, but I think we should all expect it'll be 2023 before actual customers have working copies of it.

I don't thing it will take that long. That said I doubt it will be coming next too. 

I am careful to say time here because it has had setbacks just like the S20/S22 or what it is called these day. 

I do know that have gone in a different way in development than we normally see from Inmotion. On this side note I fully agree that is the right way for the future as principal. But I think the focus on speed will be a very bad thing. 

Following up on the speculations regarding this design "revolution" - can you guys imagine a "wheel" with design like this?

|-●-|

/-●-/

\-●-\

or this

-|●|-

-/●/-

-\●\-

and what it would mean for mass adoption and stability / comfort even for seasoned riders? No more clumsy kick-stands with poor design and stability needed - we could just hop off the cycle (not a unicycle anymore, technically speaking) and just leave it standing on its own at any spot without having to worry about balance. It would be capable of just balancing itself on its own - improving the steep learning curve. Also probably safer in turns and on slippery surfaces but still sleek enough to fit on narrow forest paths.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Where can I find Madpacks views on v13? 

In the comment section of the video below. It is in Marco's replies to Shane Hric's post. There were a total of 7 replies.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul A said:

What are the symbols trying to show?

Are they trying to show a dual wheeled unicycle like these?

More or less what I mean but with a twist - the wheels would have to be flexible in terms of tilting in turns and have independent suspension to compensate uneven terrain. The first depicted configuration with the wheels further apart and legs in between would be preferable IMHO. Electronics with the motor and battery in the middle. I believe the options already available as you mention in the examples are not quite there in terms of practical usability due to the fixed axle and no suspension - this is also a rather interesting approach:
yamaha-or2t-cornering-closeup.jpg

2 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Very good of you mate.. Thx. I have prepaid V12 ht... But I need suspension my back is hurting after EUC rides. Stronger abs needed. I'm 61

I agree with your sentiment. I got myself a V8S and really miss the suspension. I think it should be a must have going forward - a matter of course like on other vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ok, sounds like maybe a re-invented hoverboard with larger wheels and suspension.

If omni wheels ever developed to be robust, capable of high speeds, that would be a great innovation for EUCs.

All direction self balancing and movement.

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now since this is a V3 thread I can confirm it will NOT have a dual wheel configuration. 

Inmotion had a wheel like that and it was may fine for its time. But now we have wheels that have the battery and motor power to keep balance. 

Anyone trying a hoover board know what the problem is with a 2 wheel parallel config once one wheel hit an obstical while the other wheel doesn't. 

As for how the V13 will handle I don't know just yet. Except speed is very important in the way it is designed. And that comes at a cost. 

Personally I think this is wrong way to go but apparently Inmotion must be under the impression that speeds will sell otherwise I have a hard time see why to build a very fast wheel. 

It does mean I doubt I will be buying the V13. The "cost" are in so many ways that it is not one I expect will feel like an upgrade to me that is worth the investment needed. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Personally I think this is wrong way to go but apparently Inmotion must be under the impression that speeds will sell otherwise I have a hard time see why to build a very fast wheel. 

It does mean I doubt I will be buying the V13. The "cost" are in so many ways that it is not one I expect will feel like an upgrade to me that is worth the investment needed.

I hope you don't mean the V13 is going to sacrifice light-footedness, and torque for pure top speed. 

Although the Hero, the Master, and S22 are 80-ish lbs, give or take, you may feel the mass, but they aren't like the somewhat ponderous Abrams.

It almost sounds like the V13 is being put into the heavy cruiser class.

I'd personally buy a heavy wheel if it ticked all other boxes: robust design (including reasonable drop-protection), well-thought ergonomics, high build quality, power (torque), high speed, good range, reasonable suspension. I wonder if InMotion V13 will exceed Begode Master's performance though. If Master doesn't cutout or catch flames anywhere before InMotion come out with their presentation, V13's competition is very steep...

• Like 1

• Mango changed the title to Inmotion V13 Speculation