Begode 900Wh Battery Recall Options

Jason McNeil

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Dude had the wheel since November of 2020 .he knows those are the faulty batteries and chose not to replace them as recommended.I have the litech batteries but I still choose to not keep my wheel inside my house at any time charging or not 

Their recommendation is to replace the batteries every year. Do you do this? Does anyone do this? The only reason for this ridiculous recommendation is to avoid any legal action if anything goes wrong.

I love the Nik+ that I've had for a year and it's been perfectly reliable but I don't think I'd buy (or recommend) another one of their products. Why would I want to take the risk? 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Aztek said:

I think the wheels must be stored in fireproof environment all the time when not in use.

At least if you have an older RS or Nikola. But it wouldn't hurt for the peace of mind, also for new and untested ones I suppose. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heymelon said:

At least if you have an older RS or Nikola. But it wouldn't hurt for the peace of mind, also for new and untested ones I suppose. 

Yeah I have a newer rs19 high speed ..got it in may ..it came with litech batteries and I’ve replaced the dc converter at 2 months and then blew two capacitors and had to replace the main motherboard at 4 months .when the capacitors blew it also blew the 30 amp safety fuses on both batteries.thankfully or it could have likely started a fire .I keep my wheel in the middle of a concrete floor far away from anything in a seperate garage .definitely don’t trust keeping it or charging it in the house 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

blew two capacitors and had to replace the main motherboard at 4 months .when the capacitors blew it also blew the 30 amp safety fuses on both batteries.thankfully or it could have likely started a fire

That's disconcerting. How and why this happened? 

10 hours ago, Heymelon said:

What about Nikola+ with "LG N50T 21700cells" (https://eucsale.com/euc-transport/begode/nikola-plus-100v-1800wh.html) bought this year? Throwing the code in google didn't really return anything, so I'm wondering if my timebomb is extra hot or.. no more than all of ours, anyway.. OR actually maybe it's a typo for M50T, which I guess IS an extra concern? :mellow:

1 hour ago, Phonoman said:

OR actually maybe it's a typo for M50T, which I guess IS an extra concern? :mellow:

Must be a typo for M50T. These were the cells Begode used, so that makes sense. And the M50T are the bad/dangerous cells, so be aware.

Maybe the info on the eucsale page is also just outdated and you already got a Nikola with the M50LT, which are good.

To be 100% sure, you can open the wheel and check the sticker on the battery pack. Or open one pack and check what it says on a cell.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Must be a typo for M50T. These were the cells Begode used, so that makes sense. And the M50T are the bad/dangerous cells, so be aware.

Maybe the info on the eucsale page is also just outdated and you already got a Nikola with the M50LT, which are good.

To be 100% sure, you can open the wheel and check the sticker on the battery pack. Or open one pack and check what it says on a cell.

Turns out the page is outdated not just by one letter. :D Thanks for nudging me to check! This brought me peace of mind as 48X seems to have good input overall through-out the searches (and I guess no fire reports yet?). 

IMG-20220917-180530.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aztek said:

That's disconcerting. How and why this happened? 

Not really sure I was under hard braking from about 35mph and at about 10 mph it went pop so all I could assume is there was a huge amp spike under regenerative braking that blew the two capacitors and then the safety fuses on the batteries .the wheel literally locked up and flopped very hard onto the face of it dropping me on my face and chest immediately was a very hard impact but I was fully geared up and had motorcycle helmet on.my best guess is cheap Chinese component issue .I try to block it out and not think about it so I can continue riding at 35 mph .🤣

3 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

.my best guess is cheap Chinese component issue .

Think you're right about that - and also just unlucky to have had the bad component in your wheel.  If it was a common problem with hard braking on the RS, then it would be a known issue.  I don't know for sure, but the RS  / MSX must be some of the most sold wheels, and abused too :D

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

try to block it out and not think about it so I can continue riding at 35 mph .🤣

I really hope this would not be the case with Master...

Cutting while riding with 90km/h would be often fatal.

7 minutes ago, Aztek said:

I really hope this would not be the case with Master...

Cutting while riding with 90km/h would be often fatal.

Not really, falling off euc in most cases are even safer, than falling off motorcycle - if you got good protective gear. You would simply slide. (Different story - if you slide under 18 wheeler.)

Edited by Funky

• 2 months later...

CPSC made ewheels' recall an official notice now... but hopefully everyone affected knows this info already.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/eWheels-Recalls-Gotway-and-Begode-Unicycles-Due-to-Fire-Hazard

ewheels MSP, RS, 100V Niks, from April 2020 through June 2021
(are directed to contact ewheels for free pack replacement)

Edited by RagingGrandpa

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The information given here is not the same as the one given by ewheels. I thought I was ok with my M50LT as per the info found here. But a communication with ewheels this week says those packs are fire suspects also.

Where does the info that the M50LT packs are safe come from?

I felt everyone with those pack should know.

3 hours ago, ChandlerJ said:

Where does the info that the M50LT packs are safe come from?

As far as I know, other than the S20 catching on fire in NYC when U-Stride rode it, there has not been reports of fires related to LG M50LT cells.

Can anyone post links to fires that were caused by thermal runaway of LG M50LT cells in an euc?