KS 14 Battery Configuration

OliverH

And i just got a third point : Once the pack nearest to the motor gets charged, this pack has a higher voltage than all the others and the voltage inversion diode will remain blocking off the other packs - so after the regenerative braking one just drives with this one pack until the voltage comes down to the voltage of the other packs...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SirGeraint said:

It had all 4 wires connected.  Here's a picture...

SM4P_vs_SM2P.jpg

That's weird, and the type seems not the same either. If the two black wires and the two red wires are not connected at the other end, it might be that one pair is used for current and the other pair is used for voltage sensing. If that is the case, you can just connect the two red wire together and connect the two black together. However, better to wait till Gotway's suggestion comes.

2 hours ago, zlymex said:

That's weird, and the type seems not the same either. If the two black wires and the two red wires are not connected at the other end, it might be that one pair is used for current and the other pair is used for voltage sensing. If that is the case, you can just connect the two red wire together and connect the two black together. However, better to wait till Gotway's suggestion comes.

the set up you are looking at is the new BMS packs. those two black wires and two red wires on that 4 pin connector seem to be related to the high and low voltage from pack to pack. Gotway has not confirmed this yet. I would light to a pic on @SirGeraint defective battery pack. Im pretty sure he has the old style BMS. Cut away the pastic and take a pic of the BMS board and wires. you cant just connect the two different wires.

6 minutes ago, NevNutz said:

the set up you are looking at is the new BMS packs. those two black wires and two red wires on that 4 pin connector seem to be related to the high and low voltage from pack to pack. Gotway has not confirmed this yet. I would light to a pic on @SirGeraint defective battery pack. Im pretty sure he has the old style BMS. Cut away the pastic and take a pic of the BMS board and wires. you cant just connect the two different wires.

I consulted someone(not from Gotway) and he said it is the formal way(I hesitate to call it daisy-chain) of parallel connection of battery packs. 
The drawbacks imo are the bit higher resistance and incompatibility with old ones compare to Y- or cross- connectors. 

17 hours ago, NevNutz said:

@NevNutz, here's the picture of the bad Battery Pack BMS board. 

Bad_Battery_Pack_BMS.jpg

17 hours ago, zlymex said:

I consulted someone(not from Gotway) and he said it is the formal way(I hesitate to call it daisy-chain) of parallel connection of battery packs. 
The drawbacks imo are the bit higher resistance and incompatibility with old ones compare to Y- or cross- connectors. 

@zlymex, are you saying that 2 of the wires (red & black) are for charging the battery pack and the other 2 wires (red & black) go to the next battery pack's charging connector?    If that is the case what is the input XT-60 connector for? 

It's a bit confusing since I have 1 of each battery pack.

2 minutes ago, NevNutz said:

Strange, they didn't have the 4pin connectors soldered to the HV and LV. It appears to be the same board though. Did you try hooking up the new battery? Just leaving the 4-pin connector unconnected. It should charge.

I connected the XT-60 output of my original GOOD battery pack to the XT-60 input of the replacement battery pack and it does charge.  I just don't know if this is acceptable.  I don't know if this makes the BMS on the first pack do all of the work for both battery packs.  And also, I would like to make a Y-Adapter so the XT-60 output of the original battery pack could go straight to the controller board  as well continue to the replacement battery pack.  I would like to know if this will cause any problems.  The problem is that I don't know exactly what the input XT-60 wires go to... if it is meant to be the charging wires.  The reason I would like to make the Y-Adapter is so that there isn't a single point of failure and to (hopefully) allow more current to be available to the motor.   Right now if something caused the replacement battery to have a serious problem then the controller board would have no power since it is the only XT-60 output going to the controller board.  Unlike how it was when it had the bad battery pack.

I hope that all makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived