dantaylr

I recently got a little mud on my s18, hosed it off, and now it’s not working. When I turn it on, the app displays a motor error along with a hall sensor error. The wheel doesn’t balance when I begin moving it and occasionally makes jerky corrections.

I dried it out for a few days (which worked last time the wheel got a bit water logged), checked the control board, and opened the hall sensor cable cover. No visible signs of any issues. I even tried unplugging the control board and clearing the capacitors by pressing the power button. 

Any ideas on other things I should try?

Images of the control board and app are here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nsrk56xo4z7z97s/AAAeM-2TPPi3fowz-_22gIMya?dl=0

4 hours ago, dantaylr said:

dried it out for a few days (which worked last time the wheel got a bit water logged), checked the control board, and opened the hall sensor cable cover. No visible signs of any issues. I even tried unplugging the control board and clearing the capacitors by pressing the power button. 

Any ideas on other things I should try?

The hall sensors are inside the motor - in ecodrifts teardown one sees the opened motor in the last picture https://ecodrift.us/kingsong-s18-we-disassemble-the-wheel-after-1000km-mileage-we-disassemble-the-wheel-after-1000km-mileage/. The 3 hall sensors are on the other side - "their" 5 wires in the black insulation go through a hole on the other side.

The defect can be anywhere from the connector of this 5 wires on the motherboard along the cable until inside the motor at the hall sensors themselves.

In case you consider opening the motor be sure to do some tutorial/reports reading/watching - it seems manageable, but there are some pitfalls (like a bunch of extremely strong magnets wanting to be aligned centered within the rim...)

11 hours ago, Chriull said:

The hall sensors are inside the motor - in ecodrifts teardown one sees the opened motor in the last picture https://ecodrift.us/kingsong-s18-we-disassemble-the-wheel-after-1000km-mileage-we-disassemble-the-wheel-after-1000km-mileage/. The 3 hall sensors are on the other side - "their" 5 wires in the black insulation go through a hole on the other side.

The defect can be anywhere from the connector of this 5 wires on the motherboard along the cable until inside the motor at the hall sensors themselves.

In case you consider opening the motor be sure to do some tutorial/reports reading/watching - it seems manageable, but there are some pitfalls (like a bunch of extremely strong magnets wanting to be aligned centered within the rim...)

Thanks for the link. I’m a terrible gear head when it comes to these. I’d just like it to work, so I’d be tempted to send it for repair before opening up the motor myself. 

Are you aware of cases where water made its way inside the motor of the s18?  It seems strange that it would get all the way in there. 

15 minutes ago, dantaylr said:

Are you aware of cases where water made its way inside the motor of the s18?  It seems strange that it would get all the way in there. 

EUCs are all but waterproof:(

Ewheels.com states an IP 54 rating - so it should stand splash water but no water jets...

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

EUCs are all but waterproof:(

Ewheels.com states an IP 54 rating - so it should stand splash water but no water jets...

Yeah I kinda got that from using it. It handled Seattle rain pretty well. At this point I’m trying to determine if there’s any way to prove it’s the control board or the motor, so I don’t have to risk tearing it down further. 

3 minutes ago, dantaylr said:

if there’s any way to prove it’s the control board or the motor,

And to answer the question - 2 of the 5 wires are supply. Ground and 3.3V or 5V. Most likely red and black. The other three wires are the hall sensir signals - so any electronics amateur should be able to check signals on the wires with a power supply and a dmm while turning the wheel. If you happen to happen anyone able to do this.

Here on the forum should be some reports for hall sensor checks and replacement in detail.