Unicycle as carry-on through SFO

World Traveler

Dear EU riders,

I'd like to buy an EU while I'm in the US in a few weeks, to take back home abroad. Wondering if anyone has had recent good or bad experiences carrying an EU inside an AA flight departing from SFO recently. I heard there were further bans a couple of months ago, and I'm wondering how strict the airlines are being after the fear of those low-end devices that burned while charging has diffused a bit.

Any recent personal experiences there?

EUCs are pretty much lumped in with the "hoverboard"/segwayboard ban, but airlines haven't banned carry-on lithium batteries, up to 2 160kWh batteries I believe.

So you must separate the battery & EUC:

• battery is the carry-on, as they are not allowed in the airport cargo,

• and the battery-less EUC is checked in, in some bag/luggage form.

One of our NYC riders was successful in doing this on a US domestic flight.

Doing a straight up carry-on, you risk having to dump the EUC.

You will have troubles most likely with TSA.   With hoverboard fires in full media swing here in California(local fire just killed two dogs and burned family house)guessing extra scrutiny.   

TSA tends to be a bit "behind" the times so ft don't expect proficiency with laws.  

Couple of weeks ago as they were hollering at people in horrible screening line back up "OK to leave iPads in bags...".  Well I left my non Apple tablet in bag and was pulled aside and scolded for having " laptop" in bag.......geez

2 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

You will have troubles most likely with TSA.   With hoverboard fires in full media swing here in California(local fire just killed two dogs and burned family house)guessing extra scrutiny.   

TSA tends to be a bit "behind" the times so ft don't expect proficiency with laws.  

Couple of weeks ago as they were hollering at people in horrible screening line back up "OK to leave iPads in bags...".  Well I left my non Apple tablet in bag and was pulled aside and scolded for having " laptop" in bag.......geez

If anything, TSA will be the easiest. It's the actually airlines that have been banning devices. TSA just cares if your electric device is a bomb. I brought my kingsong through just fine by making it easy for them to do a swab. The Southwest flight I was on was fine too since the flight attendants didn't ask me about my wheel.

QruMvbVvJg9c36FGQf2BbdQ4lpHsUFUxl8IWJTI6

YzeDXDMUsxkkx8891UuIaGuwdvA6kiK9o5gA_keo

Archived