Veteran Abrams - First Review!

eevees

On 11/2/2021 at 9:25 AM, nosamplesplease said:

This wheel didn't have much interest for me until I saw the teardown/buildup from EUC upgrades. The overall design of this wheel is much more straightforward than most wheels. Separate compartments for motherboard and batteries. Heavy metal frame, cast aluminum compartments with gaskets. They even have a breakout box for motor connectors. Looks to be much more robust in the traditional automobile/motorcycle sense. But most especially the assembly and disassemble looks EASY, like field service easy. Which really can't be said for most other unicycles. Almost every other unicycle looks like it needs to be put together or taken apart in a clean room. Dozens of tiny parts. Very few individual parts in the Abrams. More Honda less Mitsubishi. 

Just hope the durability is proved out over time.

Prior to that video the s20 had my absolute interest. Though in the context of field service, I can't see the Kingsong being nearly as straightforward. 

Jack talked a lot about the s20 being modular and a back to basics design that was going to be serviceable wheel in the 2 hr chat with black cobra.

I believe kingsong has embraced this same approach with the s20

Edited by Codespanker
Spelling
  • Like 2

675wh packs x4.

i am hoping Veteran plans to sell additional 675wh packs with plug and play capability for 4000wh rides when needed. There’s plenty of space inside the shell. 

Edited by Kekafuch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kekafuch said:

i am hoping Veteran plans to sell additional 675wh packs with plug and play capability for 4000wh rides when needed. There’s plenty of space inside the shell. 

There actually is No real extra space available within the shells to add additional 675wh packs, if you check out these photos below!

There is Only the tapered space between the packs, but to my eye, this space will comfortably accommodate the trolley handle, pedal hangers, battery terminal/fuse box and the motor cable junction box and nothing more, sorry!

Abrams Battery pack-side cover

Abrams Motor cable housing

Abrams Motor cable housing1

Abrams Motor bolts

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

The biggest drawback for me is how massively heavy and how massively expensive it is .... all for not that much battery and no suspension. I do longer tours in nice places with my EUC and have to throw it into the trunk of my car regularly. No way I can do that with a frigging 100lbs wheel when I already have a dislocated vertebra.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

There actually is No real extra space available within the shells to add additional 675wh packs, if you check out these photos below!

There is Only the tapered space between the packs, but to my eye, this space will comfortably accommodate the trolley handle, pedal hangers, battery terminal/fuse box and the motor cable junction box and nothing more, sorry!

Hmmmm, somebody better make a battery seat option! 

Good review, thanks eevee’s! Looking forward to the second part.

Can anybody please explain to me briefly why the battery on Abrams is almost universally condemned ridiculously small? (So that I will be able to go and rubbish other new EUC’s with less than 3000wh?) :-)

12 hours ago, That Guy said:

Good review, thanks eevee’s! Looking forward to the second part.

Can anybody please explain to me briefly why the battery on Abrams is almost universally condemned ridiculously small? (So that I will be able to go and rubbish other new EUC’s with less than 3000wh?) :-)

Smaller than Veterans first EUC, but I believe some of the complaints are battery size/weight related. It's a heavy wheel, and a VERY large one to boot. Many of the concerns are range efficiency related. 

The Abrams should be far LESS range efficient for it's cost than the Sherman. Which is valid.

Honestly as simple as it is to remove batteries, I can see people buying spares and riding the first pair in the morning swapping batteries and riding the second pair in the afternoon. 

Of course this requires baller-class budget, but it's almost doable.

Yeah, I get it that Abrams' battery is smaller than Sherman's and is very likely that the real world range will be no more than 120km (75 miles or so). Therefore it may may be about 20% shorter than Sherman. But using the entire Sherman's range of about 150km (90 miles) in one ride is a rare case for most, isn't it?

And I am also curious why the 2200wh battery on S20 doesn't bother people as much as Abrams' 2700wh. S20 will also have a similar size motor to Abrams', which means it will be draining the battery at the same rate and is very likely to have a real world range at least 10% shorter than Abrams. Do perspective S20 owners ride shorter distances?

Heavy it will be... I still can imagine lifting it up and down the stairs, but putting it in and out of the boot of my SUV may rather be a challenge... So it definitely is not a "last mile" device. Abrams' build quality will however, allow it just to lay down in the boot like a pile of bricks. But once again comparing it with the superhot S20, even despite the fact it is significantly lighter than Abrams, it could be even more awkward to "chuck in the boot" with its suspension and thickness?...

On 11/5/2021 at 12:54 AM, Kekafuch said:

675wh packs x4.

You might need a firmware upgrade to do that. Wonder if the MOSFETs can handle that load.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, That Guy said:

And I am also curious why the 2200wh battery on S20 doesn't bother people as much as Abrams' 2700wh.

I think there are a couple/three reasons:

KS hasn't ever made a wheel with a battery this large, so 2200Wh is an 'improvement" while Abrams is now the little-battery brother in the family.

The Sherman gave LK the rep as a high speed pavement eater and sits at or near the top of that pile—with ginormous batteries enabling its performance. KS has never played in that space so we don't expect top of the line range or speed or large batteries.

I view the S20 as "probably too heavy for off road", but I want more range off road than my S18 offers so I'm glad to see 2200Wh. Even though Abrams has Off Road Surging Passion, it's even heavier than the S20 is supposed to be so I expect much of the off road passion I'd have to be surging verbal commentary while wrestling it back upright on a steep slope. The S20 may well turn out to be too heavy as well but at least for me, the 30 miles I get from the S18 isn't enough range. If Abrams' weight makes it not so great off road and it turns out to be better suited to pavement, then I ask 'why not Sherman'.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, eevees said:

Thanks for watching! I just realized that I didn't go over the maneuverability...which isn't bad at all considering the size! I find it really easy to make sharp turns at slow speeds as well as fast high-speed turning which I do better on the Abrams than the Sherman (party because of the stability and party because I feel like I've mastered the way to turn the Abrams). The Abrams turns really well when I crouch a little and stick the apposite knee out. I rode with my buddy the other day who used to ride with me all the time when I was mostly riding the Sherman and he was like "wow! You're so much faster on the Abrams." You can't lean into the turns quite as much but once you master how to ride this thing, I absolutely love it. The Abrams has quickly turned into my new favourite wheel.

PLUS my last range test I did 120km! So in the summer, I think I can push the range even more. I didn't change my riding style or speed, the weather just warmed up by 5 degrees. 

Wow, that's indeed very impressive! Sorry, silly question, have you dropped this thing anywhere? How does it take "abuse"?...

• 1 year later...