NEW OneWheel GT

Richardo

FutureMotion added a new device to their lineup!
https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-gt

For comparison, he XR's stated specs were:
• 19 mph (30.5 km/h)
• 12-18mi range (19-28km)
• 26lbs (12kg)
• at $1799 USD

The new GT has:
• 20mph (32.18 km/h) (5% improvement)
• 20-32mi range (32-51km) (66-77% improvement)
• 35lbs (16kg) (35% "improvement)
• at $2,200 USD (22% "improvement")

I don't see any info on what cells they used in the battery, but they do say they switched to 21700s, and their marketing material shows two modules of 18 cells each
P8fZZyZ.png

They claim it doesn't share any parts with the XR or PINT, so a new motor too. What voltage is it running? who can say. They don't mention the voltage of the charger.

If i had to make up some crap about it, I'd say they want to add headroom to reduce the amount of cutouts OneWheel riders experience- but thats an uneducated guess.

Edited by Richardo
add detail
  • Like 1

What a monumental upgrade!!! 1mph! State of the art batteries that have been used for almost two years in eucs!!! and an upgraded mystery voltage!!! As usual they are half of what an euc is at the same price. Half as fast as an Rs, half the range, probably less than half the power. Only thing that isn't half seems to be the build quality. I wouldn't be talking smack if it went 25-30 mph but it doesn't.

The pint x looks much better. Similar specs to xr but only $1400. This one's actually starting to look like a fair value.

To be fair, I think it is good that they are introducing new models after several years of nothing, but the GT is kinda disappointing (pint x isn't really disappointing). it's just a bit disapointing that the speed didn't really increase at all. Onewheel has been stuck under 20mph for years and it looks like they will continue to be so for years to come.

• Like 1

Eh they just switched the battery type. Nice, unless you compare to EUCs where these are lower end specs. That's before the price, ouch, you can get a V11 or V12 for that!

2 hours ago, Richardo said:

I don't see any info on what cells they used in the battery, but they do say they switched to 21700s, and their marketing material shows two modules of 18 cells each

18p is 18*3.7V = 66.6V nominal and 18*4.2V = 75.6V max (charger).

2*18 cells * 3.7V nominal per cell * 5000mAh = 666Wh (assuming the highest capacity 21700s with 5000mAh). Better, but still meh.

Why don't they just come out with something more competitive?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Menace said:

I wouldn't be talking smack if it went 25-30 mph but it doesn't.

Would you actually want a 30mph OneWheel?
I'm not asking to talk smack- I've only ridden them a bit, but with the OneWheel form factor (6" rim!), I felt like 20mph was plenty.

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

18s2p is 18*3.7V = 66.6V nominal and 18*4.2V = 75.6V max.
2*18 cells * 3.7V nominal per cell * 5000mAh = 666Wh. Better, but still meh

Thank you for dropping the knowledge, Meep! I smacked my forehead after reading it, guess i was fooling myself about how well i knew simple electronics 🤦‍♂️

~~~~~~

FutureMotion is not really competing with the whole range of EUCs, in my opinion. They're sort of building a whole segment out of the mTen3... Thats the only EUC I would compare with OneWheels. It's an interesting comparison because the easy to list specs (like in my original post) are not what is important- it's about less tangible things like fun, how cool it looks, ease of use 

Edited by Richardo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Richardo said:

FutureMotion is not really competing with the whole range of EUCs, in my opinion. They're sort of building a whole segment out of the mTen3... Thats the only EUC I would compare with OneWheels. It's an interesting comparison because the easy to list specs (like in my original post) are not what is important- it's about less tangible things like fun, how cool it looks, ease of use

That's absolutely true, especially the mten3 bit! In the end, if people are having fun, everything is good.

But I wonder how the world would look if FM was as "irresponsible" as the people at Gotway, pushing performance and dragging an entire (tiny but existing) industry with them. But I do that in every Onewheel thread so I'll stop now;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richardo said:

how DARE you compare my beloved mten to a OneWheel! I Demand an uprising and we are headed to your house. Once I get 1000 people together and can find enough damn pitchforks.... We'll call ahead of time tho, just to make sure you arent out riding around or on vacation. :furious:

I do agree that 20mph on the AWESOME mten, is getting a bit fast tho.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Richardo said:

Would you actually want a 30mph OneWheel?
I'm not asking to talk smack- I've only ridden them a bit, but with the OneWheel form factor (6" rim!), I felt like 20mph was plenty.

I've put a few 1000miles on my Onewheel and once you get a feel for it yeah, I think 25 would be fine, 30 would be pushing it for me but I know of people that ride on the edge of cut off and have already been riding around 25. I'm sure they would jump at the chance to get one that can do 30. There are Electric skate boards already go that fast and they have even smaller wheels.

More that top speed the OneWheel has really needed more torque though. It's pretty easy to cut off going up hill or off road. I can't tell you how many trails I've ridden where I had to carry my onewheel up pretty much any incline.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

18p is 18*3.7V = 66.6V nominal and 18*4.2V = 75.6V max (charger).

2*18 cells * 3.7V nominal per cell * 5000mAh = 666Wh (assuming the highest capacity 21700s with 5000mAh). Better, but still meh.

I doubt they'll use high capacity 5000mah batteries. Having only 2 parallel packs (1 for the old pint) they would nosedive faster than gotway wheels catch fire. (low blow)

They used Sony vtc6 for XR and they will probably use Samsung 40t, molicel p42 or an equivalent high discharge battery with around 4000-4200mah.

So the wh would be closer to 500-550.

Eucs can afford to go with higher capacities due to more parallel packs, but wheels having less than 4 packs (such as the s18) can probably benefit from higher discharge cells.

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I started riding Onewheels more than 3 years ago and soon after added EUC's to my garage.  I still ride both and now have a Pint X.  A lot of comparisons are made between EUC's and OW's but IMO I don't think it's a fair comparison.  They aren't in the same category, not really even close.  Sure they are EV's and fall into the PEV category but the only things they really share are the EV components, battery, controller, bms, gyros, etc.  Beyond that they are 2 completely different animals.

As far as speed, I'd never want to touch 30 mph heck not even 20 mph on a Onewheel, way too loose and sketchy for that.  On a skateboard with wheels front and back sure.  The actual physics of the OW design lead to it being very maneuverable and carvy.  I don't have the background to be able to explain the physics, maybe someone here does.  The act of standing in front and back (OW) of a wheel compared to standing side by side (EUC) appears to make a difference in the discussion of speed and maneuverability. 

IMO after owning every OW more than once, riding on street, off road, hills, etc.  I think the GT is the sweet spot as far as where the Onewheel should be for it's niche to meet every ones requirements.  Would I get a GT, no.  I ride OW approx. 10% and EUC 90% so I don't ride them enough to warrant laying out the $$$ for it but I'd love to get on one and see how it rides.

Edited by Senior Coffee
  • Like 2