Modified Axle Socket

gon2fast

Greetings - Thought I would make a short posting on how to fabricate a socket for the purpose of removing the axle nut on the cable side of a EUC motor.

What you will need - 

24mm socket (deep preferably)

Rotary/Dremel tool. A grinder could be used as well, but after some testing I found that the Dremel did the best job for me

Disc(s) capable of cutting metal. I prefer the Dremel 426 cutting discs (3 mounted at a time*)

Safety goggles

I also use a couple of bricks to contain the sparks

image.jpg

Process - 

Basically I start making notches at the edges and then even out the metal between. Keep at this process until you have made the slot large enough. It took me about hour to get it done and cleaned up using three 426 cutting blades*. After I finished the slot I grinded down the sharp edges and will hit it with a polishing bit later this evening.

image.jpg

My first attempt was with the standard length socket on the right  Not very even and lots of sharp edges. I obtained the long socket last night at a local hardware store. Second attempt was much better. I would suggest buying two sockets to start with if you are not familiar with grinding.

This is a fairly easy project so long as you have the correct tools. It does take a bit of time to work through a deep socket, but it is well worth being able to remove your axle nuts without pinching motor cables or what not.

• Like 3