Ninebot random shutoff :(

DrOne

There is a pretty big crack in road at point of accident.  It's hard to determine from video if it has a raised edge but any possibility the crack was blame?   Read my Malachi crunch post in general forum.....it looked like your friend was moving arms just before fall.    In my near fall when I hit hole causing me to lurch forward on power.   

Very glad although bad, no head injury.  Helmets please everyone!  Speedy recovery and scary to watch!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch!  I feel for your friend.

Noticing the wheel is black/blue (as opposed to stock) makes me wonder if the electrical wiring was ever disconnected/reconnected when installing the black shell?  (Depending on the type of paint or wrap, the black section could require a total teardown based on the video I've seen.)

>edit< absolutely not trying to blame anything/anyone, just trying to diagnose any potential causes.

Thanks for posting the video adhermes. Shows it is impossible to out run the cutoff without doing a roll. This cutoff was not even at top speed and it happen soo fast to recover. Very serious injury. Luckily his face did not hit the ground. Scary.

Looks like both his feet took off some impact, otherwise his face may have hit the ground. Scary.

16 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

There is a pretty big crack in road at point of accident.  It's hard to determine from video if it has a raised edge but any possibility the crack was blame?   Read my Malachi crunch post in general forum.....it looked like your friend was moving arms just before fall.    In my near fall when I hit hole causing me to lurch forward on power.   

Very glad although bad, no head injury.  Helmets please everyone!  Speedy recovery and scary to watch!

I went back to the exact spot last night and there's definitely no raised edges or any inconsistencies in the pavement. It was perfectly flat surprisingly. 

1 hour ago, Sergio Leiva said:

Hi I have the same problem the video is private and can not display it

1 hour ago, Planetpapi said:

I couldn't watch the video. I logged into my you tube account but It says It's private.? Can you just embed it here?

Lawyer maybe advised to take it down?

His lawyer advised that we make the video private for now. It seems there is a real case here so I need to respect his wishes. When the lawyer says I can share it again I will.

Also, that black thing that flew off the wheel (actually his Go Pro) recorded the whole crash from his perspective as well. Interestingly, while going the same maintained speed, right before the wheel cut off the motor revs up insanely fast and then shuts off. Mind you, his speed remained constant but the motor sounded like he was going 25+ miles per hour. That's the main reason the lawyer thought he has a case because it was clearly a failure and has now been caught from multiple video and audio sources.

18 minutes ago, adhermes said:

Interestingly, while going the same maintained speed, right before the wheel cut off the motor revs up insanely fast and then shuts off. Mind you, his speed remained constant but the motor sounded like he was going 25+ miles per hour. That's the main reason the lawyer thought he has a case because it was clearly a failure and has now been caught from multiple video and audio sources.

From looking at the video his speed wasn't constant though.  He looked to be accelerating away from you but if the engine noise became way faster sounding in a disproportionate way, something might have come loose inside...  Anyway.. If I suddenly hear a sudden fast "revving" noise from my NBot motor while not speeding up I'll prepare to bail.

1 hour ago, BA-B8 said:

From looking at the video his speed wasn't constant though.  He looked to be accelerating away from you but if the engine noise became way faster sounding in a disproportionate way, something might have come loose inside...  Anyway.. If I suddenly hear a sudden fast "revving" noise from my NBot motor while not speeding up I'll prepare to bail.

Yeah, he was accelerating away from me, but when you listen to HIS go pro video, he hits a steady speed and then it goes haywire and revs SUPER high and cuts off, all within literally 1 second. Terrifying really. 

16 hours ago, adhermes said:
14 hours ago, adhermes said:

Yeah, he was accelerating away from me, but when you listen to HIS go pro video, he hits a steady speed and then it goes haywire and revs SUPER high and cuts off, all within literally 1 second. Terrifying really. 

Does the high pitched sound seem like a "powered" sound or possibly an unpowered motor spinning sound?  If I wheel my unpowered E+ around by hand, it will create a pretty loud motor noise whose pitch is variable with speed. 

1 hour ago, adhermes said:

Maybe when the legal issues are resolved he could post his video here as well. I would be very interested in hearing the sound it makes.

12 hours ago, musk said:

You know when you lift your wheel off the ground and it starts to spin exponentially fast and then shuts off for safety? Imagine that sound, but the wheel not going faster, and then the shut down just like if you lifted the wheel off the ground. So it sounds as if the motor is revving up and spinning faster but somehow the gear that physically spins the wheel somehow came disengaged. 

I know it sounds strange and it's really hard to describe. I will not be buying a Ninebot, that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, adhermes said:

You know when you lift your wheel off the ground and it starts to spin exponentially fast and then shuts off for safety? Imagine that sound, but the wheel not going faster, and then the shut down just like if you lifted the wheel off the ground. So it sounds as if the motor is revving up and spinning faster but somehow the gear that physically spins the wheel somehow came disengaged. 

I know it sounds strange and it's really hard to describe. I will not be buying a Ninebot, that's for sure.

We bought my wifes Ninebot 2014/ 2015 as one of the first batches. At that time it was the first EU which looks like to be engineered in a new way. Time has changed, other products with other features appeared and Ninebot showed off having quality (testing) issues. With the right people and good testing procedures they can come back on the right way again. But it looks like they haven't learned so much since the first firmware disasters. Bad to say. They lost reputation.

I hope  other folks who have been injured badly due to equipment malfunction comes forward to sue Ninebot. May be a class action law suit. Ninebot should learn a lesson from these lawsuits and act more responsible. My 2 cents.

2 hours ago, adhermes said:

Very interesting.  I wonder what could make that sound if the motor weren't spinning.  Because it doesn't appear that your friend's movement speed increased, I'm trying to brainstorm any possibilities.  Perhaps if a tire was super low-pressure, the rubber could lose it's grip on the rim.  The rim could spin freely inside the tire and reach safety/cutoff speed, then shuts down with two beeps?  This sounds crazy I'm sure. :)  Were there any beeps heard on the gopro?

8 minutes ago, musk said:

Very interesting.  I wonder what could make that sound if the motor weren't spinning.  Because it doesn't appear that your friend's movement speed increased, I'm trying to brainstorm any possibilities.  Perhaps if a tire was super low-pressure, the rubber could lose it's grip on the rim.  The rim could spin freely inside the tire and reach safety/cutoff speed, then shuts down with two beeps?  This sounds crazy I'm sure. :)  Were there any beeps heard on the gopro?

@Paul Panait had an issue with the IPS Zero, where it would make this grinding noise when overpowered at slow speed:

Don't know if this is what was meant by the "overrevving" sound. @Jason McNeil said it has to do with a phenomenom called "cogging torque": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogging_torque

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this but BATTERY SIZE DOES NOT EQUAL MOTOR POWER OUTPUT. 

Stop spitting your gibberish. A 100wh battery at 24v will output the same as a 600wh battery at 24v. 

A 100wh battery will deplete faster, but until then it will still provide the same current!

STOP!

In response to the above video, that sounds like stripped gears on a motor.

I haven't seen the falling video but it sounds like if you hear the motor RPM rise and the wheel doesn't go faster, the tire became disconnected from the motor.  That is the ONLY way that could happen. 

I do remember someone recently saying their bot didn't power on and the wheel spun loose like a bicyce. That would be the same situation. 

With all of this put together I would suggest the problem is a assembly one. Nothing else. Nothing to do with electronics or batteries or the alignment of the planets, but a simple assembly issue involving poor gear meshing. 

Archived