Ninebot random shutoff :(

DrOne

So I've had my Ninebot One E+ about three months now, and have put over 350 Miles on it.  In that time I only had one shutoff which I accepted as my fault for overpowering it on a funny piece of sidewalk that dipped and quickly inclined sharply.  I also kind of pumped my legs and I did a faceplant that messed up my palms a little.  It wasn't too bad though and I adjusted my riding style and didn't have any other issues... until today.  I had ridden 7 miles earlier in the day without issue, although it did fall over on it's side once when I was stopped waiting for a light, but I made it home no problem.  I charged it again for almost an hour since I had to ride to work and back home again later (about 4.2 miles) I made it about 1.5 miles to work and (luckily) while I was waiting at the light waiting to cross it shutoff without warning.  I had one arm propping me up against the light pole so I didn't fall, and although it turned on again immediately after, it continued to shutoff as soon as I stood on it.  I ended up having to carry it the rest of the way to work.  I did take off the pads to see if there was any loose connections or anything visibly wrong but could not find any.  I reassembled it and just for a moment thought things were back to normal, when it shutoff again and two times after that during my testing.  Needless to say I will not be riding it again until I contact ninebot and hopefully get a replacement control board or something.  A shame really because I really really really like riding my ninebot, but I realize how badly it could have gone if it had shutoff while moving.  I will update this post once I get in contact with Ninebot, and FYI I was on firmware 1.3.5. and the control board ver is 1.3

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about this. I know how tough it feels not being able to ride the wheel. But also want to say you are a super super lucky guy for it shutting off while standing. Get it fixed soon, and get a back up wheel if you dont already have one

Lucky! 

Reminds me of the time that my car's brake hose failed in a Wendy's drive-thru lineup.  I had just driven for 20 minutes through busy metro traffic and the brakes completely failed while approaching the window to pay for a hamburger.  I cruised past the pickup window and slid into a parking spot.   I guess I've already used up my good luck :/

7 minutes ago, musk said:

Any chance that the "lock" button on a phone app was pressed, maybe inadvertently in a pocket?

No chance, I don't have it connected to bluetooth when I ride, my phone has a lock screen that is not accidentally bypassed and I always exit the ninebot app after using it to check mileage etc., additionally when you lock it and then move the lights flash and it vibrates, it doesn't just shut down.

I had my first shut off at the weekend. I accelerated gradually to test out the top speed and the wheel simply stopped dead at full pelt (with no tilt-back).   I went down hard, face first but tucked in my head to save myself with a judo roll, however really bruised my palms and elbow in the impact.

My battery was at least 50% charged, so this came as quite a shock.  I'm quite nervous now of approaching the top end of the speed range in case it happens again - this time lucky, next time I could end up with broken bones!

If this is to be expected, everyone should learn to judo roll - probably the only thing that will save you in a fall at 20kph.

(I'm running 1.3.0)

Sorry to hear that, so I probably am not going to upgrade my firmware anytime soon.. I ride my E+ at topspeed almost constantly on my commute..

Lets put it this way. Its one wheel, kept from freewheeling by a single electric engine powered by a single pack of batteries. Everyone should learn how to Judo-roll on these devices, absolutely, no matter which manufacturer they chose. I hope they soon come up with failover systems because these random shutoffs can kill the reputation of EUCs as a reliable and safe vehicle.

10 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

Agree with esaj, mfgs have not yet felt the corrective brunt ofvlawsuits and laws regulating.  That will come and then, in a sad but necessary it took that move, eucs will evolve as safer.

Tell us one manufacturer name doing this travel. We've tried that in 2015 and the answers and understanding was not as we liked to have. You can't do it with the current manufacturers/ the way they look into that small business.

So I've emailed Ninebot, hoping for the best.  I also had to advise my friend not to buy a ninebot that he was really looking forward to until I see how the company handles this.  Funny that learning a judo roll was mentioned, as I have done a bit of training rolling and tumbling while training jiujitsu and always felt that it would serve me well if my ninebot ever shutoff randomly.  I would agree with the idea that everyone should learn to roll / tumble safely.  I'm really bummed about the ninebot failing, even if I get sent a replacement board it doesn't seem that they've been forthcoming about why these failures happen and or what they are doing to prevent them in the future.  It's hard to have goodwill for and promote company's product when they seem rather blase about the safety of their users.

On 1/20/2016 at 9:44 AM, Jag_Rip said:

Sorry to hear that, so I probably am not going to upgrade my firmware anytime soon.. I ride my E+ at topspeed almost constantly on my commute..

Lets put it this way. Its one wheel, kept from freewheeling by a single electric engine powered by a single pack of batteries. Everyone should learn how to Judo-roll on these devices, absolutely, no matter which manufacturer they chose. I hope they soon come up with failover systems because these random shutoffs can kill the reputation of EUCs as a reliable and safe vehicle.

By definition, a vehicle which keeps its rider in unstable balance unless just ONE component fails (MOSFET, gyroscope, processor, BMS, memory, battery cell, engine, hall effect sensor, etc.) can't be depicted as "reliable and safe". You don't even have a way to visually check the machine before riding as you would do with a bicycle. And not many vehicles pass from 'working state' to 'hard failure' within 1ms without notice.

As adults, we make a choice when we decide to ride an elctric unicycle. We can limit risks by

• wearing appropriate protection gear (after 2 failures with an other brand I always wear a helmet and wrist protections)
  • avoiding to ride among car traffic
  • limiting speed

but let's admit evidence: we have left total safety besides for -just- pleasure because we do not want to wait a few years for fully redundant systems with high grade components ;-)

My friend had his ninebot e+ with only 20 miles on it fully shut off today going about 10mph. It resulted in a broken collar bone and an evening in the hospital. I have the entire event captured with a go pro. He got with a lawyer and is planning on doing something about it. 

Im working on uploading the video and I'll link it here. Really bad fall. 

One thing to keep in mind is that Ninebot documents note to wear safety gear.  It's a possible loop hole in a medical expense lawsuit so make sure you "follow" directions.   Lawyers will call out plaintiffs inability to follow instructions so most likely at fault.   I'm not a lawyer but do live in California...land of lawsuits lol and I watched law n order on TV. Lol

40 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

One thing to keep in mind is that Ninebot documents note to wear safety gear.  It's a possible loop hole in a medical expense lawsuit so make sure you "follow" directions.   Lawyers will call out plaintiffs inability to follow instructions so most likely at fault.   I'm not a lawyer but do live in California...land of lawsuits lol and I watched law n order on TV. Lol

Using the recommended safety gear will not protect the rider's collarbone so would be irrelevant in this case.  The issue here is reliability and overall safety of the device and I hate to say it but it sucks.  There may be merit to the claim and having video of the incident may help it a lot.  

There is a need for redundancy in EUs which, if implemented, will end up driving up costs.  But better that than driving the manufacturers out of business through lawsuits.  I would certainly be willing to pay more for the knowledge that the device under my feet has redundant safety features.

It's up to you to not ride faster than you can safely fall off. 

I don't drive my car full speed and then complain the tires were not adequate when I can't take a hairpin turn. 

It's a single electric wheel you stand on that goes fast. Have at least a little respect for physics. 

Don't trust all your safety to a machine. Be responsible and be prepared for things to go wrong. 

He was going 10 mph and could easily take a fall, but it's hard to prepare for an $1100 device just straight up failing when it's brand new. Especially being made by a billion dollar company. 

You say not being able to make a hairpin turn. That's not like that. It would be more like your brake line failing while trying to drive in heavy traffic. It shouldn't happen and you certainly don't expect it. You can't always be prepared for full system failures on machines. Unreasonable to think that you could be. 

I know faces n collar bones will break even with gear but by rider illustrating proper recommended safety, it makes it harder for mfg lawyers to paint an image of someone not trying to be safe if that makes sense.   Plaintiff who can show they followed all rules will be in better position to win

18 hours ago, adhermes said:

Im working on uploading the video and I'll link it here. Really bad fall. 

Really looking forward to the video. Its useful to see the reality of how hard it is to recover from a malfunction.

It will do everyone a service to be reminded how serious a fall could be and to wear protection.

51 minutes ago, adhermes said:

Here is the upload:

https://youtu.be/hSWyCxrE2Uw

Happens pretty quick. We have slowed it down to frame by frame in 1080P and the pedals go complete limp all within one frame. Really hard to recover. 

I'm definitely not recommending a Ninebot to anyone anymore  :mellow:

EDIT: And it's not because of this incident (alone), but it has become a recurring theme in the forums that people have random shutoffs, fried mainboards due to bad firmware and generally the wheel is starting to seem really unreliable. Of course any wheel can fail any time, but Ninebot has clearly taken the lead in incidents. Of course that's also probably partially due to them being so common.

That looked really painful. :(  Even with the kind of protective gear we always recommend (helmet, gloves, pads) that fall would have been bad because of the way he hit. I definitely didn't see any sudden moves, overleaning, or other operator act that would have caused that crash. The road was perfectly smooth too.

What was that black thing that seemed to come off the Ninebot?

Archived