Anyone rides in the Netherlands?

Rodo

Hi all,

I've been watching "Not Just Bikes" in youtube and it looks like they have very nice bike lanes and paths in the Netherlands. Does anyone ride EUCs? Are they legal? I'm just curious I'm in the USA. 

No they are not legal in the Netherlands. Yet they do allow mopeds to ride on the cycle paths. Go figure.

I would still love to ride the Netherlands, I think you can go from one side to the other (and most places inbetween) without leaving a cycle path. Awesome network, I can only dream of something as nice in the UK :(

Hi Rodo,

Of course there are EUCs in the Netherlands.

There are about 55 EUC riders in our app group, which is not to say there are more.

Unfortunately, an EUC is not legal in the Netherlands, so you cannot immediately say that they are illegal.

Recently, a rider repurchased his own confiscated wheel at a government site.

A wheel that was taken because it would be forbidden to ride on a public road. He also had a fine of E500 for that.

The same government does confiscate the prohibited means of transport.

Another rider also had a take-in of his Monster. Luckily he got it back.

He should avoid the fine, partly because of driving on a prohibited means of transport.

The case  was closed the day before the case was due to lack of evidence.

Those are just 2 examples of the arbitrariness that our public mining and the police use towards EUCs/plevs why they think it is forbidden.

The Netherlands is quite fond of rules, especially those that are outdated - inexplicable or nonsensical.

As an example, consider that a (motor) vehicle must have a proper steering system.

An EUC doesn't have that, so it doesn't matter that you as a driver can be a good driver.

This does not mean that we have a small group in the Netherlands who enjoy riding on the beautiful cycle path network.

And all other paths in the woods, polders, parks and other places where it is nice to drive.

Below are some links to rides where some of the separated bike paths can be seen.

This just bikes also explains nicely why Dutch cyclists mainly ride without helmets. In the beginning (4/5 years ago) we mainly rode the euc without a helmet.

We have now come to our senses and almost all EUC riders wear a helmet!

Greetz, Gotmotion2016

• Like 1