MTEN3 aftermarket speaker ?

I was wondering ,

Watching "Wrong Way Channel on Youtube " There’s a video explaining the app EUC World, it shows something that I think It might be useful that´s the "AVAS" feature. using this you can simulate the engine sound of a motorbike for example, which helps pedestrians to notice your are coming in your almost silent wheel.

You can , configure a bell like sound, using your phone as a remote.

For both things you need a speaker, and here comes the question...is it possible to add speakers to the MTEN3, does the motherboard allow for a speaker connection?

Can we use the HC-05 to connect to the speaker?

Thank you for your comments.

There's a fair amount of room in there, but I don't know anything about the HC-05 so have no idea if it has an audio amp suitable to drive a speaker. Have you considered buying a proper bluetooth speaker and using that? EUCW doesn't care where it's playing the bluetooth sounds, it'll play AVAS to a speaker's bluetooth just as it would to a wheel. Audio uses the bluetooth audio profile and is separate from the data sent by the whee.

1 hour ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

I was wondering ,

Watching "Wrong Way Channel on Youtube " There’s a video explaining the app EUC World, it shows something that I think It might be useful that´s the "AVAS" feature. using this you can simulate the engine sound of a motorbike for example, which helps pedestrians to notice your are coming in your almost silent wheel.

You can , configure a bell like sound, using your phone as a remote.

For both things you need a speaker, and here comes the question...is it possible to add speakers to the MTEN3, does the motherboard allow for a speaker connection?

Can we use the HC-05 to connect to the speaker?

Thank you for your comments.

I've heard theres room in there for a BT speaker. I'll look when I open mine again. It would be a neat project, and maybe the usb port on the front, could be rerouted to power the BT speaker. I wouldnt do too much mucking about with the module on the wheel itself. As @Tawpie mentions, BT is a seperate data stream anyhow. IF you can find the room and IF its not asking for more power than that usb port can handle, I'd go for it! Luckily the usb port on the mten doesnt stay on unless the wheel is on. Yup, cheapo dollar store rechargeable speaker with cable perm attached?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

There's a fair amount of room in there, but I don't know anything about the HC-05 so have no idea if it has an audio amp suitable to drive a speaker. Have you considered buying a proper Bluetooth speaker and using that? EUCW doesn't care where it's playing the Bluetooth sounds, it'll play AVAS to a speaker's Bluetooth just as it would to a wheel. Audio uses the Bluetooth audio profile and is separate from the data sent by the whee.

What confuses me is that KINGSON for example, says things like "Slow down" and tilts the pedals. I was thinking in something similar for the MTEN3, because its a safety feature to have redundancy. Apart from the beeps, you can stream to a set of BT Headset. But, you are right, maybe we can have some app stream the warnings to the phone.

30 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

@TawpieYup, cheapo dollar store rechargeable speaker with cable perm attached?

I think that could be an option, sure.

You arent going to get the mten to talk to a bluetooth speaker. At least not without going deep into its code. The way other wheels make announcements, is baked into the programming. I would imagine the Mten simply doesnt have it. Probably not a case of... design for it, but don't implement it. 3rd party apps are the easiest solution, if a wheel doesnt offer that option, imho. I use eucw and a BT speaker on my sherm, for music and alerts. The mten beeps at me and I back off FAST. I would like to have internal music, but I bet space considerations would make it REALLY bad quality at best. Hang a speaker around your neck, like flava flav used to with clocks? Just dont get it caught on anything. Maybe a baby speaker clipped to a belt loop? Your hands are free, you could always do it JAM BOX, 80's style, up to your ear :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

I was thinking in something similar for the MTEN3, because its a safety feature to have redundancy

lol. KingSong and Gotway have different views on "safety". Think of KingSong as an over protective nanny, doing everything it can to prevent you from doing something that might result in personal injury. Gotway on the other hand, is that pimply faced 17 year old with the greasy hair and an arm in a filthy cast... you know, the one that's always having so much fun.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

lol. KingSong and Gotway have different views on "safety". Think of KingSong as an over protective nanny, doing everything it can to prevent you from doing something that might result in personal injury. Gotway on the other hand, is that pimply faced 17 year old with the greasy hair and an arm in a filthy cast... you know, the one that's always having so much fun.

Hahahaha.

That fire thing, on the other side is something to worry about? There's a post here that counts the number of fires, and it seems that GW/Begode is the best in this class. Maybe It's just coincidence.

I haven't heard that the MTen or MCM5 are any worse than other wheels when it comes to bursting into flames... but Gotway did send out a thing that said they don't recommend charging Gotway wheels indoors and at least for the high capacity models, eWheels has started installing not-made-by-Gotway battery packs before shipping to end customers.

I charge my wheels indoors (at my own peril). They are closely attended when charging though, they don't sit on the charger when we're sleeping and they don't sit around at full charge for long. I am noodling on an outdoor charge/storage solution though, bad things still happen to the best designed and built wheels. @Seba created the ultimate indoor solution but right now I'm not that motivated.

Edited by Tawpie

9 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

or 

Sure, this was the one I was looking for to post , but I didn´t remember the brand...basically is like a big adaptation from de Hoverboard bag, in the video they say that the stitches need to be improved, but overall I think its a great product...USD 109 to USD 129 is a bit high...

Really they need to go one extra step. In the case of a MTEN3 that fits on a 28 liter backpack ,if they make one lets say 35 liters, it would be able to fit the MTEN3 and the protective gear (with a foldable helmet), and would be the best short commute solution (Bus,Subway,...). It serves as a regular backpack also (Books,Notebook,Lunch,...).

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 4:44 AM, Made_from_aliexpress said:

No, mainboard doesn't support Bluetooth Audio, nor HC-05 does. But the most simple and cost-effective way is to get JBL Go or similar, small portable BT speaker. You can strap it to your backpack, make a beautiful custom 3D-printed holder that attaches to your Mten3 etc. :)

14 hours ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

That looks really neat! But I think I´ll take the cheapo option, besides been "portable" .

Something like this...

Lithium batteries do not need oxygen once the fire is on as it will fuel itself. Only real way to kill the fire is to bring down temperature. 

You might be able to contain this in  a bag but the temperatures are high and last minutes so if you are not around to intervene I doubt cheap bags like this can do the job. You can only relay on such a product IF it has passed regulated fire prevention stands.

• Like 1

The fireproof material will likely withstand the heat and not destruct.

It is the massive volumes of toxic smoke/gasses that are rapidly expanding and creating outwards explosive pressures.

Unventor commented that lithium fires do not need oxygen, they are self sustaining.

The chain reaction/domino effect of batteries reaching thermal runaway will be rapid, and reach intense high temperatures when it would no longer be possible to get within range of the wheel to drag it outside to burn.

Might be unlikely that fireproof blankets/bags/sacks will be able to isolate and contain the fire indefinitely till it burns itself out.

The incomplete Firesak video was already showing that the explosive force and expansion of gasses was ripping open the seams.

Don't think that having stronger seams or trying the seal the bag is even a good idea, the gasses need to vent, impossible/not desirable to contain.

Rockytop seems to have experienced an EUC fire, commented that the plastic housing melts, burning batteries start flying out everywhere, incredibly difficult to move.

The fireproof material's main benefit might be in that it provides a protective shield for the hands in the first valuable minute(s), allowing person to get close enough and move the wheel outside.

Seba's cabinet with automatic monitoring and self activated water sprinklers seems to be the best solution thus far.

Might be a bit beyond most peoples' technical abilities and costs though.

Edited by Paul A
correction of member attribution
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

It is the massive volumes of toxic smoke/gasses that are rapidly expanding and creating outwards explosive pressures.

I wonder if such a containment vessel such as those bags could also have some kind of massive expandable bladder attached that could expand to help contain these gasses.

Can we calculate the volume of gasses that could possibly be produced per cell and therefore the total volume per wheel based on the number of cells? Particularly for a fire that can produce its own oxygen, I just have no real idea how much gas we're talking about. (Imagine the wheel fire started in an otherwise vacuum sealed chamber--how much gas byproduct would be produced? Tens of square feet? Hundreds? More?)

5 hours ago, Seba said:

No, mainboard doesn't support Bluetooth Audio, nor HC-05 does. But the most simple and cost-effective way is to get JBL Go or similar, small portable BT speaker. You can strap it to your backpack, make a beautiful custom 3D-printed holder that attaches to your Mten3 etc. :)

Sure, that would be a good option. I was thinking in some kind of redundancy of the beeps, streamed via Bluetooth to a pair of headsets. I think that EUC World app can also stream warnings, and that uses the Bluetooth from the phone, so its easier to pair. The "slow down" from King Song I understand that is embedded in the firmware.

I need to configure the generic HC-05 module, with the AT commands, so I can use a USD 1 module, instead of the USD 30 from the spare. I guess that with the baud rate,password,and a few parameters more I would be able to connect to the Control Board.

By the way, thank your for the app you developed for the electric unicycles.

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

Don't think that having stronger seams or trying the seal the bag is even a good idea, the gasses need to vent, impossible/not desirable to contain.

He explains in the video that he need to improve the seals and that the production bags will have reinforced zippers with proprietary metal threads and a small vent hole for expanding air and smoke , and you are right, its a huge amount of toxic fumes that go out on that reaction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

I wonder if such a containment vessel such as those bags could also have some kind of massive expandable bladder attached that could expand to help contain these gasses.

Can we calculate the volume of gasses that could possibly be produced per cell and therefore the total volume per wheel based on the number of cells? Particularly for a fire that can produce its own oxygen, I just have no real idea how much gas we're talking about. (Imagine the wheel fire started in an otherwise vacuum sealed chamber--how much gas byproduct would be produced? Tens of square feet? Hundreds? More?)

That post was great, I´ll try to find the info and post some numbers, maybe its possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

I found an article...its something more or less close to 2.24 liters per 18650 cell. But not sure, I need to double check that.

https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/systems/May15Meeting/Maloney-0515-LithiumThermalRunaway.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I would think the rating on the Firesak is probably up to the task. Fireproof materials are not that expensive; See many options at  https://www.vitcas.com/thermal-textiles

Cloth.jpeg.53be71a9a114b307b2b3404353f36199.jpeg

Insulation.jpeg

At least this will help to contain the fire. It is worth giving a try.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

He explains in the video that he need to improve the seals and that the production bags will have reinforced zippers with proprietary metal threads and a small vent hole for expanding air and smoke , and you are right, its a huge amount of toxic fumes that go out on that reaction.

The problem with lithium battery pack fires are many. And to combat that you really need to understand how the fire works and thinks and what risk it pose.

Just as a comparison and Formula 1 racing drivers suit or undergarments can withstand a fire for about 1min. But eventually the heat will build up and cook the drive. 

As @Paul A also mentioned is the chemical toxin and the smoke. Most people that dies in fires (this is what fire brigade trainers told me when I were a fire warden at a call center) dies because they either got surprised by the heat buildup in confined space as in indoors or by smoke poisoning. 

when some plastics burn and you add water to put it out it turns into an acid from the chlorine in the smoke from the plastics. This too is something that one need to know about.

The energy released is huge. And it can be fast too which makes it almost as an explosion. It is something you need to respect and neat looking items might help you to feel safer. The big question is that a false security feeling or is it as good as it needs to be. 

The video do not impress me as these 2 people do not understand what they are up against if they drive a car with an item on fire inside it with smoke coming out. Putting out a video like this should make people think a bit what these are doing. 

• Like 1