BMS alternative to KEBYE for a MTEN3

Hello, new here to this forum.

I'm going to build my version of a MTEN3 for two reasons. The first one is that something that costs around 600 in my country ends up in 1800 ! Second, it´s really difficult to import gadgets with big batteries (IATA) , they must ship by boat...

Looking at the tear down videos from "De-Bodgery" on Youtube, I'll try to make some of the updates he mention. Concerning the BMS from KEBYE that lacks of protection circuits, I was wondering wether it could be possible to use a BMS inside the plastic box (battery box),that has one or two temperature sensors , Overdrain protection and all the safety features a BMS has to have, also a bluetooth connection will add an extra bonus to monitor each of the cells.

Maybe someone has already been over this issue and can help me.

Thank you for your support.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
KYB -> KEBYE

• meepmeepmayer changed the title to BMS alternative to KEBYE for a MTEN3
21 minutes ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

Hello, new here to this forum.

I'm going to build my version of a MTEN3 for two reasons. The first one is that something that costs around 600 in my country ends up in 1800 ! Second, it´s really difficult to import gadgets with big batteries (IATA) , they must ship by boat...

Looking at the tear down videos from "De-Bodgery" on Youtube, I'll try to make some of the updates he mention. Concerning the BMS from KEBYE that lacks of protection circuits, I was wondering wether it could be possible to use a BMS inside the plastic box (battery box),that has one or two temperature sensors , Overdrain protection and all the safety features a BMS has to have, also a bluetooth connection will add an extra bonus to monitor each of the cells.

Maybe someone has already been over this issue and can help me.

Thank you for your support.

Thanks to meepmeepmayer for the editing, I was trying to edit the post ,but now I realize that i has to be edited by a moderator I guess. Also tried to delete this message and post almost the same with the corrected words , but I wasn't able too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

Also tried to delete this message and post almost the same with the corrected words , but I wasn't able too.

Oops, sorry, I thought this was a double post and didn't see your correction. You did post a second thread, it just was removed right away:)

The first thing I'd do is check if the wheel functions with just the battery terminal connected. 

If not, you're not easily going to get a third party bms provide the necessary communication to the control board to enable the wheel to work.

However, given that gotway wheels are a bit less complicated when it comes to safety, I think it might be possible that it works, but I'd check before ordering.

5 hours ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

Overdrain protection

One does not want overdrain protection - a bms cutting of at cell undervoltage sends one flying!

This was just with the first generation wheels and then canceled by all euc manufacturers.

5 hours ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

bluetooth connection will add an extra bonus to monitor each of the cells.

Plus this helps to prevent overdrain.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:00 AM, Chriull said:

One does not want overdrain protection - a bms cutting of at cell undervoltage sends one flying!

This was just with the first generation wheels and then canceled by all euc manufacturers.

Sure ! I was thinking more like a slow reduction in speed , just to protect the batteries , and enough to avoid the user fly over the wheel. 

Also, what about the disconnect switches? I´ve seen videos referring to that, but isn´t it similar to the BMS cutting of a cell, I mean if that switch fails, you are flying again!

4 hours ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

Sure ! I was thinking more like a slow reduction in speed , just to protect the batteries , and enough to avoid the user fly over the wheel. 

That's not possible by the BMS - such a warning mechanism could be just implemented in firmware, if the BMS coild communicate with the motherboard.

I mentioned this point because most normal available BMS have such an for EUC unwanted cell undervoltage cut off!

4 hours ago, Made_from_aliexpress said:

Also, what about the disconnect switches? I´ve seen videos referring to that, but isn´t it similar to the BMS cutting of a cell, I mean if that switch fails, you are flying again!

Yes. Every failure in the supply line sends one flying. As many other failures...

11 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I mentioned this point because most normal available BMS have such an for EUC unwanted cell undervoltage cut off!

also @Tawpie told me that "eWheels has started installing not-made-by-Gotway battery packs before shipping to end customers. " , I wonder what BMS are they using...I has to be one specially made for them I guess.

Over-charging on descents or low cell group voltage won't really set off any alarms in the wheel, which might be a concern.

And as Chriull pointed out. You do NOT use the output terminals on the third party bms.

Personally I find the current protection side of the bms pcb so large and annoying that I have to find space for it in the wheel when we don't even use it. I wish it was an addon that could be taken off. Like a sandwich construction. I've seen that somewhere.