Which first EUC to get

Hello folks,

I cant decide which EUC is the best for my situation. I dont want to spend more than CAD 2000, or $US 1500

My priorities are:

1. Range

2. Quality

3. My 11 year old daughter to be able to ride it (I am 75 kg, she is  about 35-40 kg)

4. Acceleration, power

5. Off road capabilities

- I almost went for the V8F or V10F but the range is low - can someone provide real life range for these? I also have a scooter with 65 km range and we will probably ride them together.

- I looked at KS16S but I would hate the buzzing noise....is it annoyingly noisy? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bronson said:

I looked at KS16S but I would hate the buzzing noise....is it annoyingly noisy? 

If you mean the high pitched noise, that's gone since long time. Was resolved with some early 2.x firmware.

Just beeping when connection to an app is still not to be silenced.

Thanks, in that case I would go with the KS16 - it seems like a good starter EUC. I like the range, the power and the price is the same as V8F.

Why do people choose V8F over KS16 if they are priced the same and KS16 has better performance?

If you can find one, get a used 2020/21 16X. It ticks all the boxes. If you must buy new, an MCM5v2 would fit your needs... it's Gotway so the quality is Gotway, but there are very few problems reported with MCM5s. CAVEAT: I own a 16X and am heavily biased... there's no way I spent that much money on something I don't love!

Edited by Tawpie

12 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

If you can find one, get a used 2020/21 16X. It ticks all the boxes. If you must buy new, an MCM5v2 would fit your needs... it's Gotway so the quality is Gotway, but there are very few problems reported with MCM5s. CAVEAT: I own a 16X and am heavily biased... there's no way I spent that much money on something I don't love!

Thanks, 16X may be a bit more than I would like to spend. The local store sells it at CAD 2700. They also mentioned Gotway T3. Any thoughts on this one?

You should be able to get a USED 16X for 1500USD, mine wouldn't bring that much. I haven't heard much good or bad about the T3 other than I've seen two new-in-box ones on the resale market. I don't know why. It might be a good option since nobody's complaining about them!

I purchased a Gotway MCM5v2 for my first wheel and recently picked up an Inmotion V11.  The MCM5v2 is still my goto wheel for a majority of rides and I don't think I could have made a better choice.  It looks like it would meet your needs and the portability, maneuverability, durability and torque are fantastic.  The lights are terrible compared to the V11 but that can be easily solved with supplementary lighting for night riding.    

• Like 1

I forgot who told me the advice, but the one clear thing to look for in your first EUC is the fact that it's USED!

One can't help but scuff and abrade their first, and it's borderline impossible to find a first wheel that will satisfy you forever, so you're going to move on in some other direction, afterwards!

• If you want to buy used, it can save you a lot of money or get you a lot more for your money.
  • The V10F has 950Wh of battery, the 16S has 840Wh. So whatever range claims the manufacturers make, the V10F is going to have a little more range than a 16S. If the range of one doesn't satisfy you, ther range on the other won't either.

I dont think there is a used wheels market here. Warranty and new battery is important to me for this amount of money.

They are selling V10F for CAD 2,000 and the 16S for 1,700.

For the MCM I kinda decided to go with 16" but I dont know actually if that is better

2 hours ago, Bronson said:

For the MCM I kinda decided to go with 16" but I dont know actually if that is better

Follow your instincts for questions like this. If you just somehow tend towards 16 inchers, go for a 16 incher! If one wheel appeals to you more than another, get it! And so on:)

2 hours ago, Bronson said:

They are selling V10F for CAD 2,000 and the 16S for 1,700.

It sounded like you might think that the 16S has more range between the two of them. That's why I mentioned the two.

Personally, I think the extra price for the V10F is worth it. The 16S isn't a bad wheel at all, but it is an old model, and crucially it's a 30kph model (tiltback at 35 so you'll always go like 32 max). That is usually just a few kph too low for people to be happy with. The V10F is a few kph faster. Mind that the max speed goes down with battery charge.

Is a V10 (non-F) available to you? It also might be a good alternative. I believe they upgraded the battery size from 650Wh to 750Wh. Both are ok, but of course bigger is better, so check for that if this interests you.

So, the local store actually has used wheels and I am thinking between 

V8F open box (condition 9/10 only 3 km) for $1250 CAD 

KS-S16 with 840 wh battery for 1200 $ (condition 8/10 with 1230 km) 

v10f is available but only new for 2000$

Out of these options I would take the KS-16S (and not because I ride one). It has better range and power than the V8F and the only drawback is slightly higher weight of the KS (roughly 17kg vs 15 kg). 

If you and your daughter enjoy the experience, you will probably want to get another wheel within a year (as an upgrade and/or to ride together if you keep your first wheel) and you will have a much better understanding of what EUC you want next with an extra 800CAD saved towards that next wheel.

The V10F is mostly a marginal upgrade compared to the KS-16S and V8S so the premium isn't worth it. You will beat up your wheel somewhat during the learning stage so the only point of buying new is warranty and less worries about battery. Since you are buying from a local shop though, they probably have serviced these wheels and might offer some form of warranty or service discounts.

Edited by yoos

16 hours ago, yoos said:

Out of these options I would take the KS-16S (and not because I ride one). It has better range and power than the V8F and the only drawback is slightly higher weight of the KS (roughly 17kg vs 15 kg). 

If you and your daughter enjoy the experience, you will probably want to get another wheel within a year (as an upgrade and/or to ride together if you keep your first wheel) and you will have a much better understanding of what EUC you want next with an extra 800CAD saved towards that next wheel.

The V10F is mostly a marginal upgrade compared to the KS-16S and V8S so the premium isn't worth it. You will beat up your wheel somewhat during the learning stage so the only point of buying new is warranty and less worries about battery. Since you are buying from a local shop though, they probably have serviced these wheels and might offer some form of warranty or service discounts.

I was thinking the same things. One thing that I am not sure about is the existing 1230 km mileage on the KS-S16. Is this a lot for a wheel? Does it affect it in any way besides the scratches that it has, such as diminished battery or motor power....? 

• Like 1

1230Km isn’t much at all, a rough estimation of battery wear gives 50km range* per cycle x 300 cycles before being down to 80% capacity = 15000Km. The rest of the EUC, save tyre and exceptions should withstand such a range.

(* for the 840Wh KS16S)

Edited by div

1230 km is little for a modern EUC. 30000-50000 of km should be an expected lifetime mileage, provided you change tires and bearings in time, but most people upgrade long before that. I have around 2000km [bought used at 400km] on my S16 (and it only has half a battery at 420 Wh) and everything is fine (only had a minor problem with the trolley which I fixed). The battery should lose some capacity after tens of thousands of km, so it's the last thing to worry about (by the way, try to regularly/always charge to 100% for balancing purposes, see the many topics on charging on the forum. The "80% rule" popular with rechargeable electronics does not work here and might cause damage). The motor itself should work forever, unless damaged, so any power loss would be due to battery degrading (which, again, does not happen until you have gigantic mileage, or damage the battery by extreme conditions/water ingress)

Things that normally wear out first are tire and bearings (both should be easily replacable by the local shop if they do any mechanical service at all). Other components may fail as well but these are more or less random events which are not directly related to mileage.

Anyway, 1230 km for a used and serviced EUC is a sweet spot I think: on one hand, it is a small fraction of its total mileage capability (tens of thousands), on the other hand you get a good discount and the wheel has proven to be functioning. When you buy new there is some (small) chance of failure during the first tens or hundreds of km due to quality control issues: a bad contact, faulty component that will blow at certain current etc. By buying used you avoid that testing period. 

If the shop is reputable (which I assume it is since EUCs are too niche to risk reputation on selling a faulty wheel) there should be little to worry about.

Edited by yoos
  • Like 1

Since the used KS S16 has been sold hours before I came to the shop #@$%$#@ and since there are no used wheels anywhere I am now thinking about a new one - they have Tesla T3 for 1950 CAD which seems like a good deal - i love the specs.

Does anyone have Tesla T3, how is it? How is it for learning for adults and for kids?

I am now leaning towards the V8S. It took me less time and thinking to get a house and a car.

I like the weight on the V8S for the kids and me to learn on it.

Is it worth getting this over the V8F for the range? It is $400 more and has a 50% bigger battery. I would love more range. 

Tesla V3 is just $200 more than the V8S but I think it is better to keep the weight lower so we can all easily learn...

Any thoughts? V8S or V8F? or Tesla V3? The main consideration is now the balance between weight and range...Well I also like the reputation and quietness of the V8 as a first wheel, but if we like it I would get a bigger one for me down the road and leave this one to the kids....

Is it going to be harder for the kids (girls 7 and 11) to learn on the Tesla V3 than on the V8S?

On 10/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, Bronson said:

I almost went for the V8F or V10F but the range is low - can someone provide real life range for these? I also have a scooter with 65 km range and we will probably ride them together.

I got a V10F as my first wheel. No regrets. Range varies, but I feel comfortable going 50kms without worrying about it. I paid $1800 + taxes in 2020 for it new. I think they are now ~$2K + taxes.