Glove Hack

I slow way down and start whistling.  Only pass if there’s a safe margin allowing for ped pinball.

Was downtown Sunday for the fall fest car show. Entered the MR2, then wheeled around all day on the 16s. 

Many peeps were interested in the amazing wheel.

• Like 2

Might be a bit of a hazard having thin edged metallic objects in hands in the event of a fall/crash though.

Both hands need to come together to produce the sound?

Have found an electric bike horn to be compact and useful.

Decibel level of approx 120 decibels, it is loud enough to penetrate the glass windscreens/windows and over the engine noise of cars from a sufficient distance.

On quite a few occasions, cars coming to an intersection stop sign do not see an EUC, and drive across oblivious.

Have had occasions when the driver was looking directly at the EUC and still failed to see it.

Use sparingly, only for cars, not for pedestrians.

Continuous music at an appropriate volume is a non threatening alert for pedestrians from behind.

Rubber casing, water proof, cheap, easily straps onto a finger, quick immediate operation at the press of a button, one handed.

Image 01 - Bicycle Electric Horn Waterproof Cycling MTB Road Bike Handlebar Bell 120dB US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124902028312?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1d14bdb418:g:kz4AAOSwEmxhQdUY&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSxXDXcCydCuSj2Tq2S%2F3GnvnqoHpQysXGc2JqiY7eRApQ4cVoLtYxlQztSIOyGrEEcWst1xWYHNT9i1Gq1w4Q37LV49a4xgdakAqvn%2BwXO7fdm5UGijRLUCUVh8L%2FZgL3iIG1a5BywU2kUee05lkQNhxZmzepx%2FOp%2BrfRUID5Uj93onsd56EFVWQlZjl1Y9a56yC%2F3Zo6SvMmqLVRoOMZ7ngAGIxokCstopGOfG6mS8Ep6DdPmLZtPDO1mpqKwjSBV4JbdVBLajED7o122ynEN070NC4fr9Tv12FuFVQJ9IWav%2BMfiNQ9Ue9hx1n6IU0Bdt4L9Y71UTJedKRerfimNXny1rKQBxvATMEJHVXtwTbdO35sA758pOnZddY4TZs0%2B4LUC2hqlWkANjSUouHFqJwqSD7yUdWbFNVWcJuubJIOFNb7PijXi5AhTUJ3dVxTBFIfEA3y9ZD%2B6Ux9T8HgH5OgTlQm6JCnEb%2FUsnrdfOw94Ni0RhpFbJn7nzHk6gvT%2FDrINu9F%2FCsngZ9aAFls%2FeR6Q6U0SxqmNIfsMf7g0khXz6YZR63MYxSroLPfEF0oTJCt8pjNT7u%2F5imdINCl8YgFEPeRUQ2NQczbAt%2B6WclmGWTd01H4ihOnjmY9o1TVS6k6xprcQdqUCUtybniGQNYmjRF17CVXrEVMW6Z1qsYgt55T%2F6MnzAdQFQhaasaqm2cRESeP6gGZhl6%2FHmgKS5Ki4nncdYuph32wmjFRpXjDN%2F6Dbh%2Bm9efD2OlqcCIp2xNB9USbznpSAdS7nr%2FI9AOco3CqcJD9SSBCPlPhydxk%2B1b2tYx2UEcYkTJWre4F|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share a simple glove hack which has proved very effective.  I wanted a method to gently let people know I was gliding up behind them rather than startle them or risk them drifting in front of me.  This has worked really well.  They're tiny cymbals or Kartals.  Available in musical instrument shops or your local Hare Krishna temple gift shop :-)

They do limit the use of your hands but to be honest my hands aren't doing a lot when I'm riding so they've worked well for me.

98jVcnq.jpg

I have a similar mod with a pair of tongs to hold burgers in one glove and a napkin holder on the other. Such a good transport for eating burgers need napkins though as sauce drips on the pants at high speed.

• Like 3

I got one of these and use it when I'm on populated bike trails. The sound it produces is softer than your average bike bell but it's still audible and I usually ding it a few times along with the verbal announcement when I'm about to pass someone. It's also just really fun to fidget with.

https://www.powerslide.com/Powerslide-Fingerbell

• 4 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Paul A said:

Might be a bit of a hazard having thin edged metallic objects in hands in the event of a fall/crash though.

Both hands need to come together to produce the sound?

Have found an electric bike horn to be compact and useful.

Decibel level of approx 120 decibels, it is loud enough to penetrate the glass windscreens/windows and over the engine noise of cars from a sufficient distance.

On quite a few occasions, cars coming to an intersection stop sign do not see an EUC, and drive across oblivious.

Have had occasions when the driver was looking directly at the EUC and still failed to see it.

Use sparingly, only for cars, not for pedestrians.

Continuous music at an appropriate volume is a non threatening alert for pedestrians from behind.

Rubber casing, water proof, cheap, easily straps onto a finger, quick immediate operation at the press of a button, one handed.

Image 01 - Bicycle Electric Horn Waterproof Cycling MTB Road Bike Handlebar Bell 120dB US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124902028312?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1d14bdb418:g:kz4AAOSwEmxhQdUY&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSxXDXcCydCuSj2Tq2S%2F3GnvnqoHpQysXGc2JqiY7eRApQ4cVoLtYxlQztSIOyGrEEcWst1xWYHNT9i1Gq1w4Q37LV49a4xgdakAqvn%2BwXO7fdm5UGijRLUCUVh8L%2FZgL3iIG1a5BywU2kUee05lkQNhxZmzepx%2FOp%2BrfRUID5Uj93onsd56EFVWQlZjl1Y9a56yC%2F3Zo6SvMmqLVRoOMZ7ngAGIxokCstopGOfG6mS8Ep6DdPmLZtPDO1mpqKwjSBV4JbdVBLajED7o122ynEN070NC4fr9Tv12FuFVQJ9IWav%2BMfiNQ9Ue9hx1n6IU0Bdt4L9Y71UTJedKRerfimNXny1rKQBxvATMEJHVXtwTbdO35sA758pOnZddY4TZs0%2B4LUC2hqlWkANjSUouHFqJwqSD7yUdWbFNVWcJuubJIOFNb7PijXi5AhTUJ3dVxTBFIfEA3y9ZD%2B6Ux9T8HgH5OgTlQm6JCnEb%2FUsnrdfOw94Ni0RhpFbJn7nzHk6gvT%2FDrINu9F%2FCsngZ9aAFls%2FeR6Q6U0SxqmNIfsMf7g0khXz6YZR63MYxSroLPfEF0oTJCt8pjNT7u%2F5imdINCl8YgFEPeRUQ2NQczbAt%2B6WclmGWTd01H4ihOnjmY9o1TVS6k6xprcQdqUCUtybniGQNYmjRF17CVXrEVMW6Z1qsYgt55T%2F6MnzAdQFQhaasaqm2cRESeP6gGZhl6%2FHmgKS5Ki4nncdYuph32wmjFRpXjDN%2F6Dbh%2Bm9efD2OlqcCIp2xNB9USbznpSAdS7nr%2FI9AOco3CqcJD9SSBCPlPhydxk%2B1b2tYx2UEcYkTJWre4F|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Hi Paul,

What is it called? The link doesn’t have the item anymore  

On 10/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, Circuitmage said:

I just play music.

So, I tried this too, but first time, my attempted trombone rendition of 'Flight of the bumblebee' seemed to make my speed wobbles a bit more pronounced, and next time out, the Steinway got a bit caught up on a technical trail section, and reduced my range somewhat... any tips?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just shout Move!!! Really loudly - works wonderfully. :D  From long distance, so i don't have to slow down while they let me pass..

@Lex Smith You can use your "riding stick" and simply whack them aside. (Pretend you are blind.. Black glasses could help.) :D 

Jokes aside, i simply drive to their asses and ask "Can i pass" - "Thanks". < I have to do that very rarely. Most hear my coming anyways..

Edited by Funky

• 2 months later...

I would have to go with the monkey, besides I am 'always' playing music if I remember to change up the music player, I keep an airhorn in my right hand and a meter long car spacing stick in my left hand, so my hands are busy.... And I hang a bike bell off my yellow vest for those pedestrian... 

Edited by MetricUSA

Simply clapping your gloves/hands together - make enough sound, to alert any people.. And if you got wrist guards - even better. They got that plastic - even more noise than regular clapping.

Simply pointless hack. :D Telling how it is.. What do you want? Someone lying to you - sweet talking you. Or could hard truth? :D 

Gotta revive old post somehow. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 5:02 AM, Funky said:

Simply clapping your gloves/hands together - make enough sound, to alert any people.. And if you got wrist guards - even better. They got that plastic - even more noise than regular clapping.

Simply pointless hack. :D Telling how it is.. What do you want? Someone lying to you - sweet talking you. Or could hard truth? :D 

Gotta revive old post somehow. :D 

Yeah I moved on from that solution months ago  LOL 😆