burned out gotway nikola 100v 1800 Wh. How dangerous is it?

The wheel Gotway Nikola 100V, 1800 Wh, release of november 2019 used for 9 months, mileage 5000 km. Сaught fire during charging in my house, the wheel was pulled out by me into the street, from the moment the fire started, until the moment when I reacted to it, it took about 7 seconds, 7 - 10 seconds took the process of pulling out. immediately after that, the wheel began to explode, no design changes were made to it, there were no shocks or moisture ingress, the original charger was used.

https://youtu.be/Tllc3A1Q1lI808ca4e4c2df.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, div said:

douse with water (garden hose))

Please avoid ever attempting to put out a Lithium battery fire with water alone, it will Only make matters worse unfortunately!

Edited by fbhb

To put out a lithium battery fire the appropriate extinguisher is a Class D- the dry powder type.

Unfortunately, that powder needs to hit the burning lithium metal directly (to cut off the flow of oxygen) and the housings of our wheels prevent that. 

It could still help prevent the fire from spreading, and wont cause a bigger fire like anything water based, but our most practical option os still to heave the smoking EUC through the window and get it out of the house asap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, div said:

Thank you for the timing details both, good to know in order to having an idea of strategy.
(in my case drag onto balcony, douse with water (garden hose))

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Please avoid ever attempting to put out a Lithium battery fire with water, it will Only make matters worse unfortunately!

Taking the fire down with (enough) water is a valid strategy, as:

1 hour ago, Eucner said:

Water will cool down the battery and stop the thermal runaway. It is also the method firefighters mostly use.

But one needs enough water!

Dousing it with a garden hose or something like this will not really change anything with the amount of cells in an EUC - it will just increase the probabilty that one gets hit by an venting cell!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Dousing it with a garden hose or something like this will not really change anything with the amount of cells in an EUC - it will just increase the probabilty that one gets hit by an venting cell!

Yes but I prefer getting hit by a venting cell than to burn down the building.
If the water isn't enough for the cells it will help reducing the spread. (I also have a ABC extinguisher that would go in the mix)

Edited by div

My take away from all these stories:

1. Complacency could be a real killer, esp. if you live above the ground floor, or in a basement apt. Always attend while charging and have a leash or rope attached so you don’t have to have hands on the wheel if it starts to burn.

2. Apparently, these babies will continue burning even if submerged completely. It is a runaway chemical combustion producing noxious clouds of smoke, as well as flaming projectiles.

3. Protect yourself, your sig. others, and your dwelling. Be PREPARED.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, div said:

Yes but I prefer getting hit by a venting cell than to burn down the building.
So after emptying the (ABC) fire extinguisher, I would stick to trying to reduce the spread with water as long as the air allows it.

Maybe covering the wheel with something could help before dousing it with water...

The venting cells flying around not only could hit one but set the house on fire in different spots?

• Like 3

The Portland, Oregon incident wasn't whilst the wheel was charging though.

That Gotway self ignited during the night when the occupant was asleep.

It hadn't been recently used either.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/3606609672770303

Information reported:

• When did the fire occur?:   during storage
  • Was a charger connected at the time of fire?:   no
  • What was the state of charge at the time of fire?:   85%
  • When was the wheel previously ridden?:   3 days prior
  • Model:   Gotway MSP HT (C38)
  • Battery:   1800wh LG M50T 24s4p
  • Vendor:   ewheels.com
  • Electrical modifications:   no
  • Total mileage:   >2000mi
  • Length of ownership:   ?
  • Prior owners:  ?
  • Prior issues:   (none reported)
  • Typical riding type:   ?
  • How recently had the panel been opened?:   ?
  • When was the wheel previously recharged?:   ?

ACtC-3cV1CcAxpc1StZBi6ZmAj4IjBw-bJ1kMatDOLN028UHhhA0z1AD9xGOqZiX4INpbE7E-_xUP9tpMvetykkcxG6T21xZFpC5dD6bZdlf83Q_koVAWbpHi2LM5ga0TaWVAUbZlpyVa7AaZwusAoC35ljcuw=w956-h1274-no?authuser=0

Edited by Paul A
addition of info

@Sergei Ivanov Few questions so we can try and spot a pattern:

• Was a charger connected at the time of fire?:   
  • What was the state of charge at the time of fire?:   %
  • When was the wheel previously ridden?:   
  • Model:   Gotway Nikola +
  • Battery:   
  • Vendor:   
  • Electrical modifications:   
  • Total mileage:   
  • Length of ownership:   
  • Prior owners:  
  • Prior issues:   
  • Typical riding type:   
  • How recently had the panel been opened?:   
  • When was the wheel previously recharged?:  

Also

• Do you normally keep the battery between certain percentages ie 20-80%? 
  • Do you fully charge it?
  • Do you keep it charging after it reaches 100%?

6 hours ago, Chriull said:

But one needs enough water!

Put the wheel in the sink and fill it with water: Less water is needed, water reaches cells better and less shooting ricochets.

Video of an EUC fire.

Intense heat, toxic smoke and gases, exploding battery projectiles, large flames.

Attempting to fight the fire with extinguishers, water, immersion, etc might be pointless.

Might seem containable at the start, but it escalates very quickly.

Might be best if possible to early on, very quickly move EUC outside to area where it can burn.

Smoke inhalation is lethal.

Dc rider, Declan, who is often in NYC got the same issue 2 weeks ago with a 6 months old Nikola + 1800. Fumes started to appear without charging. He threw the wheel in the bathroom just in time. His appartment and all his belonging (including gear) are now completely contaminated by toxic fumes and unusable (he could use some help). We suspect he rode hard on low battery and that's what caused the failure, but no certainty.

Throwing his Paypal as he had no insurance, if some riders want to help him : https://www.paypal.me/dkurant

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...