What are we? Pedestrian or Bike?

Paulandjacquelyn

Depends on where you are....if you are on the road i suggest you take a good look around at the stop sign before running it.  In crosswalk i am like a pedestrian, that a beauty of it - we are versatile. In general we are closets to a bicycle so probably the right thing to do would be to conform to bicycle rules.

actually im not the best person to give advice on this. Ive been known to bend a few rules....to me riding the wheel lets me be whoever i want to be in my wildest dreams :) 

Depends also on the country. There're huge differences how a national law is classifying our EUs. And there will be changes in the next year. Looking forward if the current manufacturers can cope with that if not heavily pushed by their distributors acting as local product marketing/ development people.

Being based in a metro area, I'd like to be considered a pedestrian because there are sidewalks everywhere I want to go.   As a responsible adult who can ride the EUC slowly, I can safely intermingle with pedestrians without risking injury to them. 

However, using bike lanes is attractive.  Bikes are not normally considered pedestrians but there are many bike pathways where an EUC is appropriate.

I guess it may be different in different countries. I know what the situation is in The Netherlands:

You are a pedestrian. This is why:

The traffic laws discriminiate between three groups of traffic paticipants (there are more, but for the sake of this explanation this is enough). There are drivers of motorized vehicles, drivers of non motorized vehicles, and pedestrians. Do not jump to the conclusion that the EUC is a motorized vehicle, because according to the traffic laws a vehicle has at least two wheels. Thus the EUC is not a vehicle ... therefore you are not a driver, therefore you are a pedestrian.

This is a bit of a loophole - maybe - but these are the consequences:

- You may not drive on the road when there is either a bicycle path of walkway.
- You do not need any special insurance policy
- When wheeling around (since you are not 'driving') you need to yield to all traffic that you would yield to as a pedestrian.

The Liberty of the euc community.

i am un early adopter in surfing, snowboarding, kitesurf and now in EUC.

i have seen law restrictmens on all preveous communitys by severe accidents by fools an idiots. These lead to special laws for these comm.

This could lead to the banning of euc on parts of roads and places, stations, markets metros etc' just the place where this new commuter lives. We are waiting for it to happen.

Therfore i would plead for a CODE of "do & don'ts" for riders, esspecialy the new ones in order not to harm the liberty of the community.

1 hour ago, LuneL said:

The Liberty of the euc community.

i am un early adopter in surfing, snowboarding, kitesurf and now in EUC.

i have seen law restrictmens on all preveous communitys by severe accidents by fools an idiots. These lead to special laws for these comm.

This could lead to the banning of euc on parts of roads and places, stations, markets metros etc' just the place where this new commuter lives. We are waiting for it to happen.

Therfore i would plead for a CODE of "do & don'ts" for riders, esspecialy the new ones in order not to harm the liberty of the community.

For sure people riding and in the middle of the streets and squeezing on every inch of gap in the traffic should be disciplined.

2 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

My code is not get hit by car and not hit anyone on sidewalk

How fast do you ride on the streets? The problem is most of the car drivers including myself are not happy with all these motorcycles squeezing everywhere and causing a lot of accidents specially when the car driver hits them on the side because they were not seen through the blind spot of the side mirror.

I assume that you are trained riders with a "safe code " in mind. Good so!

i trained myself extensly in a safe environment before getting on the road and between pedestrians.

idem for my kitesurf: i took lessons , for safety. I don't want to be a danger for others.

therefore i plead that resellers , parents, friends should warn the new for the dangers before a major accident hit our free community. This forum is a god platform to set up a international code of behaviour for euc riders.

In Finland Parliament was finally able to decide fate of low power electric personal transporters.
So all electric vehicles are now legal (none before 1.1.2016), as far as power is under 1000W and:

- if the max. speed isn't over 15km/h, they're pedestrians, within other pedestrians same speed required
- if the max. speed isn't over 25km/h, they're bicycles, with bicycle rules (and equipment: reflectors, light, warning signal device... handlebar! 2 brakes!)

I think this law is fine, but as U see, EUC can never be a legal bicycle. In fact unicycle is illegal in Finland, but EUC max. 15km/h is legal... that's stupid, considering UC's. If under 15km/h, no restrictions to structure, wheel count or whatever. And I'm happy to have aps to change the top speed, if some officer (is capable and) wants to test... it's probably allowed, same case as with mopeds (Young one tend to tune their 50...).

7 hours ago, SlowMo said:

How fast do you ride on the streets? The problem is most of the car drivers including myself are not happy with all these motorcycles squeezing everywhere and causing a lot of accidents specially when the car driver hits them on the side because they were not seen through the blind spot of the side mirror.

LOL! You should drive in China. The locals are not known to have any road manners, respect for any rules, nor any sense of safety. I've learned to face the mirrors out to eliminate the blind spots. (Convex rear view mirror to cover the back) When properly setup, you shouldn't see any part of your own car at all. Works really well!

http://lifehacker.com/5865502/adjust-your-car-mirrors-properly-to-avoid-accidents

1 hour ago, playdad said:

LOL! You should drive in China. The locals are not known to have any road manners, respect for any rules, nor any sense of safety. I've learned to face the mirrors out to eliminate the blind spots. (Convex rear view mirror to cover the back) When properly setup, you shouldn't see any part of your own car at all. Works really well!

http://lifehacker.com/5865502/adjust-your-car-mirrors-properly-to-avoid-accidents

Good topic. The thing is only a few drivers care for these things. I even saw a cctv footage where a lady motorcycle rider was crushed to death when she went in front of a big truck during heavy traffic.

1 hour ago, playdad said:

On the topic of accidents involving pedestrians... you know what's scary? Unlike with cars... we don't have insurance on these things and going 20-30+km/h can really hurt people. :ph34r:

Not exactly sure but I think getting an umbrella Insurance policy might have you covered if they sue. 

https://www.geico.com/information/aboutinsurance/umbrella/

"

Umbrella insurance? What is it?

Umbrella insurance is extra liability insurance. It is designed to help protect you from major claims and lawsuits and as a result it helps protect your assets and your future. It does this in two ways:

1. Provides additional liability coverage above the limits of your homeowners, auto, and boat insurance policies. This protection is designed to kick in when the liability on these other policies has been exhausted.
  2. Provides coverage for claims that may be excluded by other liability policies including: false arrest, libel, slander, and liability coverage on rental units you own.

What does umbrella insurance cover?

Still a bit hazy on what an umbrella policy covers? Well, let's dig into the details a bit. Umbrella insurance provides coverage for:

• Injuries
  • Damage to property
  • Certain lawsuits
  • Personal liability situations listed below.

You're thinking, "I have auto and homeowners insurance that covers some of these situations." True! But, umbrella insurance insures you above and beyond the limits of those policies and covers some situations that aren't covered by the other types of policies. And rates are less than you think! Call (866) 272-5192 for a free rate quote.

Here are examples of the types of coverages provided by an umbrella policy and how they protect you:

Bodily Injury Liability – covers the cost of damages to another person's body. Examples include the cost of medical bills and/or liability claims as a result of:

• Injuries to other parties due to a serious auto accident where you are at fault
  • Harm caused to others as a result of your dog (yeah, you probably should have taken him to obedience school)
  • Injuries sustained by a guest in your home due to a fall
  • Injuries sustained by a neighbor's child who falls while playing in your yard"

------

I also found this insurance company that has "hoverboard insurance". 

http://calcocommercialinsurance.com/blog/2015/11/09/hover-board-insurance/

I checked AXA and they mentioned it too. Liability insurance. The only problem is that very few EUC riders are probably going to take up an addon that costs "a few hundred dollars a year" to protect against such accidents. (the majority of which will be minor but of course $HIT can happen!)

Liability Insurance: Protecting Your Assets

Often called umbrella liability coverage, this takes effect when the personal liability and lawsuit coverage in other policies is exhausted. The cost for $1 million worth of protection -- especially necessary for high-income individuals and those with considerable assets -- may be only a few hundred dollars a year."

Archived