Alternative names for EUCs?

Roo Williams

Yook?   (Pronunciation of "EUC" in English) 

1x1?

E-Wheel?

One Wheel Motorcycle? OWM? Three Wheeled Motorcycles are called "Trikes", so you are back to UNI

EUC perfectly describes what it is, and it is not copyrighted. 

Chooch is calling it everything under the sun to get eyeballs to his Youtube. Right now most PAGANS (my name for non-EUC riders) have no idea what they are, let alone what to call them. 

Person: "Hey what is that _______?" (Bicycle, One-Wheel, one wheel Segway, Hoverboard, thingy)

Me:  It's an Electric Unicycle. (I then call it E-U-C for the rest of the Conversation) Nobody ever asks me what I mean by E-U-C.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sidderke said:

In France I hear monowheel a lot. I just call it, my wheel. People always look weird and then they see the thing and nod understandingly. 

Does "Uni" refer to one in French? "Mono" refers to a disease (Mononucleosis) in America. "I got Mono from my girlfriend"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Does "Uni" refer to one in French? "Mono" refers to a disease (Mononucleosis) in America. "I got Mono from my girlfriend"

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I'm not French, I'm from Belgium, but we have some French websites as well, and looking at some official French websites, Fnac in France, etc. I see monowheel pas by a lot. That being said, I'm happy to say I did not get Mono from my girlfriend. 

• Like 1

Its an interesting topic! Thanks for the comments. It would be an interesting thing for one of the manufactures to have a play with the branding. Maybe a sub brand would work?  Some support for keeping it EUC, but lots of ideas for less clinical more catchy names.  if you are a rider, looks like some variation of  the word 'wheel' is whats used the most and how we think about it. Interesting.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, sidderke said:

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I'm not French, I'm from Belgium, but we have some French websites as well, and looking at some official French websites, Fnac in France, etc. I see monowheel pas by a lot. That being said, I'm happy to say I did not get Mono from my girlfriend. 

Ah, but did you give her one - a mono, that is???  😷

• Like 1

Ewheel 100%. It's the obvious and correct choice. There are ebikes and escooters... Well this thing is a wheel, an electric wheel (ewheel).

It's short and easy to say and matches the electric naming convention of other small electric transportation. Then you can shorten it even further to just wheel when speaking casually.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

EUC has my vote. It is descriptive and concise.

There are tri-cycles, bi-cycles and uni-cycles. There are electric tricycles, electric bicycles and electric unicycles. EUC is a good shortening.

eWheel and monowheel are also good but terms such as "ebike" as described by InfiniteWheelie are confusing as you are not sure if they are referring to an electric motorcycle or an electrified pushbike. This is of course blurred because the boundary between the two is also blurring.

I think you are letting your marketing hat influence your thoughts here. You said "We all want the movement to grow, and the very name is one of those things holding it back." That is rather presumptuous.

I for one am OK with it being small. Many riders ride in countries where legally EUCs are outlawed. I think this is the case even in NZ. They can do this because they are a rare sight and not really bothering anyone. Escooters were also rare until escooter hire companies started dumping 10s of thousands of them on footpaths of unsuspecting cities, many of which have now outlawed them.

This is really a niche product with only a few small Chinese companies filling it. Already supply issues are now a problem. Can you imagine the wait and price you would have to pay if this suddenly became popular?

Organic growth is best. It gives time for the public to become use to the sight. It gives time for the absurdities of law to be fixed without too many casualties along the way.

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DavidB said:

eWheel and monowheel are also good but terms such as "ebike" as described by InfiniteWheelie are confusing as you are not sure if they are referring to an electric motorcycle or an electrified pushbike. This is of course blurred because the boundary between the two is also blurring.

And the minor aspect of the ‘bi’ part in ‘ebike’ referring to a plurality, whereas the EUC/yook/1by1/etc is definitely a mono- or single-wheeled contraption.

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Alternative names for EUCs?
32 minutes ago, Richardo said:

What we need to do is retroactively correct them all to enginecycles... MOTORcycles? get out of here with that.

That always got me too. General Motors should have been called General Engines. But then we already have a GE. 

This reminds me of an argument I had with my 3rd grade teacher. She said that there are 3 types of trains: Steam, diesel and electric. I knew a lot about trains so I was a bit confused with her understanding of them. She asked, “What train runs on coal? I answered CORRECTLY, the steam train and the electric train use coal. She asked, What train runs on diesel?” Again I answered correctly, The diesel train and possibly the electric. She asked, “What train runs on electricity? I answered correctly, “None of them, yet the diesel train and the electric train use electricity to propel them. 

I was correct yet I failed the test because of 3rd grade school propaganda. 

Note: A “diesel” train is just a large diesel electric generator attached to an electric train. An “electric train” gets its power from a power company that could use any number of fuels, including coal and diesel. I thought it was interesting that she understood that a steam trains used coal yet oblivious to the fact that electric train did too. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

That always got me too. General Motors should have been called General Engines. But then we already have a GE. 

This reminds me of an argument I had with my 3rd grade teacher. She said that there are 3 types of trains: Steam, diesel and electric. I knew a lot about trains so I was a bit confused with her understanding of them. She asked, “What train runs on coal? I answered CORRECTLY, the steam train and the electric train use coal. She asked, What train runs on diesel?” Again I answered correctly, The diesel train and possibly the electric. She asked, “What train runs on electricity? I answered correctly, “None of them, yet the diesel train and the electric train use electricity to propel them. 

I was correct yet I failed the test because of 3rd grade school propaganda. 

Note: A “diesel” train is just a large diesel electric generator attached to an electric train. An “electric train” gets its power from a power company that could use any number of fuels, including coal and diesel. I thought it was interesting that she understood that a steam trains used coal yet oblivious to the fact that electric train did too. 

I'm gonna make a suit of solar panels and plug it into my Yook. It will extend my ride an extra 15 meters or so.

"Solar powered, self-balancing, Class 1, hybridized electric unicycle!

On 8/16/2021 at 12:17 AM, Tawpie said:

Just say it’s a suitcase. 

Especially on the train, ferry,  or bus! 

13 hours ago, Richardo said:

My wife started calling it “your wheelie” which i kind of like.

My wife calls them, “ Her wheels” 

And I call them, “My Precious” as in, “You tricks me!! … You can’t have My Precious!! ” 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 3:07 PM, Richardo said:

What we need to do is retroactively correct them all to enginecycles... MOTORcycles? get out of here with that.

EngineWheel? MotorWheel? I could see Gotway/BG using this as their NEXT name.