Alternative names for EUCs?

Roo Williams

A couple of options to make it appear to hover:

a.  Have a mirror finish on the sides of the wheel to reflect the foreground and make the wheel appear 'invisible'.

b.  Have the new flexible type of LED screens on the sides of the wheel. 

The screens are like a plastic film, a bit like sandwich wrap.

Have a video camera on either side of the wheel (or a 360 cam).

The left side LED screen displays what the right sided cam is viewing, and vice versa for the right side screen in continuous real time.

The wheel will appear to be invisible because the sides (LED tv screens) are displaying the background seamlessly.

A rider will appear to be hovering above ground as he/she travels.

The portion of the wheel under the screens making contact with the road might be visible though.

Zack king did a Harry Potter broom riding illusion vid a few years ago. Using a mirror and fake legs. It looked fun, but not really practical, apart from a fun vid. 

As others have done, I just default to "wheel", but that doesn't really have much pizazz. Do we feel it should be something fully descriptive? I mean if someone mentions a Harley, that doesn't really describe a 2 wheeled, motor driven, cycle but everyone knows what it is. These may be silly but maybe we could look at names like:

Uniglider

Roadrocket

Portawheel

Walknomore

RoadBlaster

TUV (Transport Utility Vehicle, pronounced {Toove"}

As far as the cool factor, most people I pass seem to think it's cool. I came upon a Dad on a pretty nice dirt bike hanging out with his kids. As I rolled up, I stopped to talk to them and the first think he said was "Dude, you just WAY out-cooled me in front of my kids". Lol. 

I like the name euc, it’s the coolest transportation device of all time and if I come across someone who thinks it’s corny or doesn’t like the name I attribute it to their poor judgment lol .. also I have to slightly blame the damn jugglers and clowns who have gave unicycles a cheeky history

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 5:55 PM, Unbihexium said:

Let's face it, we'll never be cool and if you want to look "cool" then this isn't the hobby for you. 

I've had a lot of people say they think that its cool, (it helps if your riding along with traffic), but of course some think it looks goofy. And yeah, the name electric unicycle doesn't help (with the association of clowns and circus acts). The name I like best is motorwheel (I think Adam from Wrongway came up with it). Monocycle isn't bad either. The problem I have with calling it a 'wheel' is that you can't really google or youtube 'wheel' and expect to have only euc results. It works in conversations when you already know what it is you're talking about but otherwise is too ambiguous imo.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely vote for “Ewheel”. Being short for electric wheel, it’s totally descriptive of these devices and the name is short, easy to say, and sounds good. it’s also in line with the naming convention of Ebike, Escooter etc. “Wheel” would be the casual nickname as is already common. I will be referring to these exclusively as “Ewheels” to anyone I speak to.

“Electric unicycle” or “euc” almost sounds okay, but isn’t a very good name in my opinion. First of all it’s too long of a name, and it just doesn’t sound good. Not to mention it doesn’t seem cool as unicycles don’t give off that image.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

• 1 month later...

I know I know, we all use that name in searches, and so do the manufacturers....but its not too late. Im a marketing guy, and I work with brands all the time. We all want the movement to grow, and the very name is one of those things holding it back. Id put it out that the 'one wheel' name is one of the things that helps it grow so much faster than than EUC  No one knows what an EUC is, and it doesn't describe what we do. Every one  is always asked ''what the hell is that thing??'' what do we say?  Lets find a better more catchy name that makes sence, one that can grow as the movement grows. what about the obvious one 

" Electric Wheel"

or just

''Wheel''

Ive seen lots of others, and to be honest i really dont mind what it should be, but the name EUC should be changed in in popular vernacular, then the manufactures will eventually change as well. ... I totally get that current riders really dont care about the name, its all about the experience- but lets think of the future riders and  growing the community faster than we are! I get this might not be a popular post but hey,  now is a good time for us all to find a great name and start using it! Doug  

• Like 3

When people ask me I say "Electric Unicycle", they get that. Chatting with fellow enthusiasts I shorten it to "wheel" (although losing the 'l' and calling it "whee" might be more appropriate—a touch juvenile perhaps, but that's not too far off either!). I try not to use the Three Letter Acronym, I find it harsh on the tongue.

• Like 3

My vote is for the name motorwheel. I think I heard the name from the WrongWay youtube channel. And I agree, the name should change to something that is more descriptive and easy to say and remember. (I also like monowheel)

How about OWBI (pronounced Oh Bee)

Stands for One Wheeled BI-cycle. Yeah , I know, pretty dumb.

Growing up in the 60's, we had the Batmobile, so we started adding "mobile" to everything.  Adding it to EUC makes it a bit more palatable - Eucmobile (Yook Moh Beel)

WheelMobile; Uniquemobile; MonoMobile; etc.

As kids we played with a toy called the Wheel-O!!!  Still like the name - I bet I'm the only one............

• Like 1

Honestly, nowadays people not in the know just call it a "one wheel" in normal conversation with me. "Hey, I like your one wheeled thing!" "Hey Mark, I like the videos of your one wheeled scooter! "Hey, how fast can you go on that one wheel?"

So... I don't even bother correcting anyone anymore. It was tedious to have to go "Well, actually 'One Wheels' are the name for the ones that look like skateboards but with one go-kart tire but I ride the devices with pedals on the side of a motorcycle tire, and they are called Electric Unicycles, or EUCs..." and then halfway through the explanation see their eyes glaze over in boredom.

So you know what? Sure. I'm riding around on one wheel. That's what it is. In my mind I know it's wrong, but whatever. Descriptively, that is correct.

Edit: I have also just called it my "Gotway" since I own all Gotway wheels. Sometimes it's just easier to give it a name that has nothing to do with describing it to be an electric unicycle. Kind of like how in some regions, people call all form of soft drinks or sodas "Cokes" even though it may not be a Coca Cola. So maybe that would be easier for folks to grasp.

Edited by TheSlyGiraffEV
  • Like 1

‘1x1’ arouses curiosity among others, they can visualise a single wheel, and hopefully it transporting (normally) one person around. Certainly the suspension models are also as capable in many scenarios as a 4x4.

• Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Alternative names for EUCs?