Night Time Riding in City

Paulandjacquelyn

Wow,  city night time riding is dangerous.   Last night I took a ride across town for some burgers and

-Avoided several cross walk car potential collisions

- at cross walk... Made eye contact, proceeded slowly and when in front of car it started to go!  With inches to spare I zipped out of way!  Driver never saw me except only after almost hitting me....   

-had car drive by and throw water bottle at me with water in it. Did not hit but the action represents the negative feelings toward hover boards.  People seem tobbucket eucs with these.  

I have blinking lights front and rear on my helmet plan on getting a flash light to wave at cars at cross walks.  Geeeezzz

I always attach lights on my wheel itself, perhaps lights on your helmet are too high for drivers to see?
Doesn't make up for them not noticing though, not what I'm saying at all.

Glad you didn't get hurt!

My lights are led brigh flashers....annoyingly bright lol.   I was going slow and looking right at driver window.   It was dark so could not verify eye contact but was slow.     I feel like people can see you but are so busy figuring out what you are riding that they don't process you.....dangerous.   I've noticed this behavior a lot!    Gonna get flashing flash light also and will change front head lamp to flashing red light

Yeah, do get the curious thing.
Had one driver crossing to the other lane and a driver coming from opposite direction honking at him and a surprised and late reaction from the gazing first driver.
Quite dangerous, hope this blows over once the EUC's are getting better known...

Here in Sydney drivers show no respect to cyclists because they are rude, pushing and aggressive think they have grouped us all in one category. I don't blame them hence I always try to be humble and polite..  also my partner forbids me in riding at night which is understandable 

I am also finding that driver curiosity is more of a problem. My journey work/home involves 4 light controlled pedestrian crossings each with two lanes. I often get a car stop for me when the lights are green in the car's favour. I now realise this is just so that they can watch me riding. However I dare not go as the other lane might not stop.

So far ( in two months ) I've had no car driver behave negatively and only one pedestrian.

Something to keep in mind.  This isn't new, even though EUC's are.  Bike riders, and motorcycle drivers have had problem.  If fact I can mention a "accident" almost caused by me not seeing a motorcycle.  It happened back in 1985(ish).  The sad part of that story was I had just gotten out of the hospital from someone turning in front of my motorcycle.  A few days later, I almost side swiped a motorcycle coming back from lunch!  I am a good driver.  I DO look around when I drive.  That day sticks in my mind even though I didn't hit anyone.  

I don't ride at night but if I did for sure I get one of those LED lighted vests.  Then you'd be almost impossible to ignore.  EUC lights are too low for cars to see.

Did a google search for LED vest and came across this one.. Seems appropriate for attention whore EUC'ists  lol

il_fullxfull.397883310_oqo6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

It's like that are deer in headlights except driving a 3000lb moving vehicle.

I did not tell wife because she would forbid.  Let's continue to share and define best practices amongst euc riders

I think the best way stay on the side walk and bicycle lanes and stick to pedestrian crossings when crossing the road... they are will indicated and well lit..it's too dangerous to ride on the road at night 

From our state's motorcycle safety course: "Even if a driver makes eye contact with you, do not assume that he has seen you." I have had near misses running, walking the dog, pushing a baby carriage, biking, motorcycling, and unicycling. I assume all the drivers are trying to kill me, and it is a pleasant surprise when they give me a safe margin. (They are probably runners or bikers themselves!)

Generally I've had pretty good luck with cars when they see me. Yesterday, though, I got the walk light and started to roll into the intersection on a four-lane road. A woman had gone too far and her back wheels were nearly in the crosswalk, so I figured I would go behind her since going in front of the car would put me close to moving traffic. Instead, she looked at me, looked behind her, and backed up! I was almost to her car when I realized what she was doing, had to make a sharp turn to go in front of her since she was no longer looking at me while backing up. Oh well, she tried.

17 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Generally I've had pretty good luck with cars when they see me. Yesterday, though, I got the walk light and started to roll into the intersection on a four-lane road. A woman had gone too far and her back wheels were nearly in the crosswalk, so I figured I would go behind her since going in front of the car would put me close to moving traffic. Instead, she looked at me, looked behind her, and backed up! I was almost to her car when I realized what she was doing, had to make a sharp turn to go in front of her since she was no longer looking at me while backing up. Oh well, she tried.

Here, in contrast with the usual way in USA drivers to wait for pedestrians completely to cross the pedestrian crosswalk, many adjust the car speed and slowly pass behind the crossing people. But we have a saying for this situation: "Never go behind the woman" Many times women are terrified when they see the car is moving generally in their direction and illogically decide to turn backward to..."the safe heaven" that they started off.

I have already thought about wearing at night such a yellow reflective vest that are used here in Germany by some bicyclists or motorcyclists. Especially when wearing dark clothes.

This should give you a good visible appearance for both: eye's and brain of other participants of trafic.

Archived