Is the EX.N really faster than an RS HS?

I'm not interested in any of these but I've been seeing tons of youtube videos pop up about the EX.N being the most powerful yada yada. Isn't it already confirmed that the motor is the same as the RS HS? Then how much faster can it really be? It's 4kg heavier isn't it?

If it all comes down to the EX.N control board supplying more power to the motor, then what prevents RS users from upgrading to an EX.N control board?

How can the RS be 2600w and the EX.N 3500w with the same motor?

Some say, the EX.N is like a HT and HS wheel put together. How is that possible considering it's an HS motor?

Does the EX.N have more torque than an RS HT?

First, there's a lot we don't know about the controller programming parameters between the models.
The difference in Wattage spec are an indication since the actual power delivered to the motor mostly depend on the demand of the rider, via the self-balancing algorithm.

In terms of specs:

Then there's the batteries.
Max speed - let's say at the beeps, is determined by voltage for the same motor.

The reason is that the faster a motor turns the higher the back EMF voltage will get, therefore you need a high enough voltage from the battery to push the current though the motor in order to get the torque desired to fight the wind resistance and keep the wheel balanced.

Since the EX.N has 1.5x the battery cells as the RS High Speed, it will have lower voltage sag under load accordingly.
It automatically makes it faster for longer, since the RS HS speed will be reduced following the battery pack voltage reducing under load.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

So the limit is not the motor's ability supplying torque at that speed.

What would you guess would happen if someone put a 2700Wh battery in an RS? It wouldn't turn into an EX.N, would it?

How much of the difference is in the control board? Zero?

Edited by alcatraz

54 minutes ago, Sai said:

My EXN beeps at about 47-48 mph. RS at around 42mph. I believe the battery sag is the reason why

Yeah thats mad. The EXN is proper quick for sure. And yeah the sag on the 1800Wh RS/MSX's is crucifying if sitting around the top speeds. Truth be told it's not really enough Wh for 40mph+ IMO, it will rinse the wheel before you know it. My worst was 20 miles @ 35mph which left 35% battery from my 1860Wh MSX and as you know the sag would have been taking that down to around 15~20% ish when riding near the beeps, so not much range left in the real world. Point being, at 15% battery the beeps would be firing off at well below the speed of that of a full battery! Even with a full battery, the sag would be much more than an EXN as you say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Aside of overheating (too much current) and arcing (too much voltage), the motor itself doesn't have a limit for torque at any speed.

The "only" limit for speed is then how much battery voltage is available to push the desired current through the motor coils for the required torque (to fight the wind & rolling resistance), against the voltage generated by the motor as back EMF, which increases with rotation speed.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:37 AM, alcatraz said:

What would you guess would happen if someone put a 2700Wh battery in an RS? It wouldn't turn into an EX.N, would it?

You can't my friend not enough room max is about 2200wh