Advice welcome: Has anyone traveled on an airplane with an S8 as a mobility device?

I talked extensively to United about taking mine with me from California to Colorado, and was assured a 'note' was placed in my 'file' which will allow me to check it at the counter for this week's trip. ADA allows me to choose my mobility device.

I'm understandably nervous about doing this for the first time, having read horror stories.

I don't want to get to the airport and have some officious person say I can't take it - and then have to figure out how to return it to my apartment (not going isn't an option - son's wedding). It would fit in the online wheelchair closet, but I was told I can't use that closet. And my trip will be almost unendurable without the S8 (I did it before with a walker - was horrible).

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that, with a lot of research and advance preparation, my Airwheel S8 traveled to Denver International Airport from Sacramento and back, IN United's wheelchair closet inside the cabin - as my mobility device.

Maggie (my Airwheel) also allowed me to have the mother/son dance with our son at his wedding reception - we really cut the rug, twisting and twirling with abandon.

• Like 3

The results were definitely worth the preparation - I doubt I would have stood my ground about using the on-board closet without already knowing it was probably big enough and would also be full of crew luggage. John Morris's wheelchairtravel.org site had given me lots of warning and information.

If curious about details, I blogged about it (https://liebjabberings.wordpress.com/2021/10/23/traveling-with-a-nonstandard-mobility-device/).

• 1 month later...

I am so happy to hear that you mobility device was so useful and you could travel on the airplane with it. I recently bought a mobility scooter to my mother. She can't walk so the device really helps her, and she feels more independent. I hope that we can travel with the scooter on plane without a problem.

• Like 2