Are these helmets good for EUC ??

I've been searching for the right full face helmet for about 2 weeks. I thought a motorcycle helmet would do the trick but it's too heavy on my neck.

I came across these helmets and if you have them please share your input, I'll be using it during the winter and summer in the low 10 degrees.

I wear a size medium.

• The TSG Pass - Seems like the go to helmet for everyone but not in stock anywhere, seems to be discontinued. ( I hear they're making a come back in spring 2022 with new colors) 
  • New Olders Avitar V2 (Carbon + Aramid) $390 - Now this one caught my attention since I can build my own helmet with my favorite colors (however company seems fairly new and I didn't see any certification for that helmet so I don't really know)
  • S1 Full face helmet - No where to be found either
  • Triple 8- I found some but once again not sure about them

So please if you have any of these helmets, do they fogged easy during the cold weather, do they actually protect you etc..

I just want to hear people that owned any one of these helmets to share their input about it and If I haven't looked at one, feel free to share it.  Is New Olders Avitar V2 (Carbon + Aramid) good or bad ??

Edited by LoveAll

• LoveAll changed the title to Are these helmets good for EUC ??

Your list seems to focus on downhill skate helmets only and leaves out many, many others, such as Troy Lee (D3, D4, Stage, SE4); Giro, Leatt, Bell, Demon United, POC, etc, etc.

You can also add the Predator DX6 models to the list of skate helmets.

image.thumb.png.153df61619b190c412dfc9045b00bd5e.png

As for the TSG Pass, they are not discontinued and probably won't be for quite a long while; only the carbon fiber version of the Pass Pro is gone. They are very popular and continue to sell out every year in M, L and XL sizes. They introduce the new line-up in the spring, so plan to order then. Iirc, Zeitbike (Hallo, Fritz!) is the official distributor in the US, so if you contact them by email they might still have (or can get) a TSG Pass in your size. I was the second post on the forum and one of the first to buy/use TSG Pass helmet for an EUC. Since then, there have been over 250 posts and countless adopters who, like me, swear by it. It's still the sexiest helmet around.

Edited by litewave
Fixed link to Zeitbike product page

On 10/10/2021 at 12:12 PM, LoveAll said:

I've been searching for the right full face helmet for about 2 weeks. I thought a motorcycle helmet would do the trick but it's too heavy on my neck.

+1! They are also not designed for such slow speeds. Of course the cheap ones don't even bother with such trivial considerations (wind, safety, comfort) during design.

A lot of helmet threads around here. Plenty of quality choices. The hardest part is going to be finding one that fits perfectly, if you're picky at all.

"chin guard breakaway system" says pretty much all you need to know, doesnt it? More like "chin breakaway guard system"... :facepalm:

Dont go uber cheap, but dont be fooled by inflated pricing of basic helmets that happen to have marketed a NAME that surpasses the actual value of the product. Finding a helmet that is full face and somewhat comfy, while keeping you fog free and warm, isnt going to be too tough. My bet is $200-$300 easily puts you near the top of quality in mtb/sk8 helmets. Much more than that and you're just wasting $$. I sport a Bell DH and its just fine. However, its not meant for cold weather at all. Perhaps being in Chicago, you would fare well by having a cooler summer helmet and a stuffy winter helmet, both? Expecting one thing to excell at both ends of the temp spectrum, is likely a compromise in one or both.

After 25yrs of moto riding, I can attest that theres a HUGE leap between a $200 bucket and a $500 bucket. OMFG I had no idea what comfort and quality was, for so many decades. Unfortunately, its not that clear cut in mountainbike and skate helmets. Luckily, the demands of impact absorbtion, arent quite as high on an euc. I have worn my race bike helmet on my euc. O' man was it comfy and I felt safe as can be. I also looked like a lollipop and quickly got tired of the weight. 45mph on an euc is NOT the same as 100mph on a bike. Not to mention, I didnt want to endanger my favorite helmet with a bs slow speed euc crash. Ironic right?B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

+1! They are also not designed for such slow speeds. Of course the cheap ones don't even bother with such trivial considerations (wind, safety, comfort) during design.

A lot of helmet threads around here. Plenty of quality choices. The hardest part is going to be finding one that fits perfectly, if you're picky at all.

"chin guard breakaway system" says pretty much all you need to know, doesnt it? More like "chin breakaway guard system"... :facepalm:

Dont go uber cheap, but dont be fooled by inflated pricing of basic helmets that happen to have marketed a NAME that surpasses the actual value of the product. Finding a helmet that is full face and somewhat comfy, while keeping you fog free and warm, isnt going to be too tough. My bet is $200-$300 easily puts you near the top of quality in mtb/sk8 helmets. Much more than that and you're just wasting $$. I sport a Bell DH and its just fine. However, its not meant for cold weather at all. Perhaps being in Chicago, you would fare well by having a cooler summer helmet and a stuffy winter helmet, both? Expecting one thing to excell at both ends of the temp spectrum, is likely a compromise in one or both.

After 25yrs of moto riding, I can attest that theres a HUGE leap between a $200 bucket and a $500 bucket. OMFG I had no idea what comfort and quality was, for so many decades. Unfortunately, its not that clear cut in mountainbike and skate helmets. Luckily, the demands of impact absorbtion, arent quite as high on an euc. I have worn my race bike helmet on my euc. O' man was it comfy and I felt safe as can be. I also looked like a lollipop and quickly got tired of the weight. 45mph on an euc is NOT the same as 100mph on a bike. Not to mention, I didnt want to endanger my favorite helmet with a bs slow speed euc crash. Ironic right?B)

I came across these motorcycle full-face helmets and I'm not sure if they're even good, they're in the $500 and up price range.

1- Simpson M30 Bandit Carbon Helmet DOT rated at 2.7 lbs/ 1224 g

2- Klim K1R Discern Hi-Viz Helmet DOT at 2.9 lbs/ 1324.49g

3- Bell Bullitt Carbon RSD Check It Helmet at 2.8 lbs/ 1270.06g

4- New Olders  CANNONBALL V2- 1.96 lb/ 850 g- Not DOT but after fully build about high $300+ with shipping comes to $400+

5- AVG K6 - DOT/ ECE at 2.95 lbs/ 1338.097

What's your opinion on these helmets?

47 minutes ago, LoveAll said:

I came across these motorcycle full-face helmets and I'm not sure if they're even good, they're in the $500 and up price range.

1- Simpson M30 Bandit Carbon Helmet DOT rated at 2.7 lbs/ 1224 g

2- Klim K1R Discern Hi-Viz Helmet DOT at 2.9 lbs/ 1324.49g

3- Bell Bullitt Carbon RSD Check It Helmet at 2.8 lbs/ 1270.06g

4- New Olders  CANNONBALL V2- 1.96 lb/ 850 g- Not DOT but after fully build about high $300+ with shipping comes to $400+

5- AVG K6 - DOT/ ECE at 2.95 lbs/ 1338.097

What's your opinion on these helmets?

I use a Shoei rf1200 but thats JUST for my motorcycle. I HAD a few 1100xx sport bikes and it fit my needs great. Of course, I'm an egg head and it is designed for high speeds and a more forward riding posture. I havent kept up with the newer offerings, as mine took 25+ yrs to find/afford and I'm quite content with it. Fwiw, my bell dh weights 1lb 14 oz.   My shoei rf1200 weights in at 3lb 6oz.  Even tho my shoei is not the lightest moto helmet I've owned, its fitment and aerodynamics make it FEEL lighter(at speed) than any by far. This merely illustrates that weight specs arent as big a factor as fitment and design standards.

I think that most quality motorcycle helmets, are just going to be a little bulky and heavy for basic euc use. You wont be seeing speeds of 60+mph anytime soon on an euc. A good race helmet becomes weightless at higher speeds. However, a safe helmet for moto speeds is simply going to also be cumbersome when the wind isnt assisting with its weight and stability. If you are dead set on using a moto helmet for winter on your euc, I would suggest going to a moto shop and fitting some on. If it doesnt fit, its bulk will be loose and your balance and vision will suffer, along with lack of comfort. Heads and helmets come in various sizes AND shapes. Suggesting a certain one for you, would be like suggesting a certain style and size of shoe. May as well just buy a lotto ticket, as its similar odds for success.

I would seriously consider looking to the mtb and skate helmet route. You wont have quite the same level of protection as a quality moto, but you arent going the same speeds. That predator DH looks interesting. However, $400 and one size fits all? Yeah, I think thats one of those PROUD brands... A good fitting light helmet should be enough.  If you get a little cool, you can always pull a face sock on. I have considered the tsg pass myself, for when its cold and I want a full shield. I havent been a winter rider much, so I really don't know what I'll do. I may just wear my bulky rf1200 as I already own it. Ideally, I should also be shopping for another. I guess the best advice is to buy from somewhere with a generous return policy.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I've been using a 7iDP Project 23 DHMTB helmet now since March but as it gets cooler I picked up a TSG Pass.  The Pass seems to run a bit small and my head barely fits in.  Still remains to be seen if it will become comfortable to wear. 

I'm going to pick up a set of goggles and a balaclava as a backup if I have to continue with the 7iDP.

IMO DHMTB or DH longboard helmets are the way to go with the typical EUC speeds under 35mph.  The weight, comfort, and safety features seem to be a good balance whereas a bicycle helmet is too little and a motorcycle helmet is too much.

• Like 1