Yet another battery question

Cloud

Sorry for asking something that may be obvious to most or something that must have been discussed before, but i am such a fool when it comes to battery usage, so i just wanted to make sure.

Among other things, i use my wheel for commuting to work. The distance to the office is 10 miles, and 10 miles back home in the evening, so total 20 per day. My kingsong 840 wh battery can do 23-24 miles on a charge, so i could make the trip to work and back on a single charge. I could also recharge at work.

For the battery longevity which is better:

1) charge to a 100% and ride to work and back on the same charge or

2) charge to 80%, get to work and recharge to 80% again at work and ride home?

scenario 2 seems to be better for the battery per the recommendations ive read on the forum, but it doubles the number of charging cycles which may shorten the battery life. Obviously in both scenarios the mikeage traveled will be the same, so the question is which way will yield the longer battery life?

7 hours ago, Cloud said:

Sorry for asking something that may be obvious to most or something that must have been discussed before, but i am such a fool when it comes to battery usage, so i just wanted to make sure.

Among other things, i use my wheel for commuting to work. The distance to the office is 10 miles, and 10 miles back home in the evening, so total 20 per day. My kingsong 840 wh battery can do 23-24 miles on a charge, so i could make the trip to work and back on a single charge. I could also recharge at work.

For the battery longevity which is better:

1) charge to a 100% and ride to work and back on the same charge or

2) charge to 80%, get to work and recharge to 80% again at work and ride home?

scenario 2 seems to be better for the battery per the recommendations ive read on the forum, but it doubles the number of charging cycles which may shorten the battery life. Obviously in both scenarios the mikeage traveled will be the same, so the question is which way will yield the longer battery life?

Not 100% sure, but probably option number 2. AFAIK, the manufacturers don't count it as full charge cycle, unless you go from 0(ish) to 100%. So charging from 50% to 100% is like half a cycle (and actually the cycle consists of both discharge and charge, or the other way around). I don't think it will be that detrimental to the battery even if you charged it to 100% at work, just don't leave it fully charged for longer times (days, weeks, months...). Although of course not charging it all the way to 100% should stress the battery less, but it's not like it's going to be spoiled right away if you do so (and once in a while it's a good thing to make sure the cells stay balanced).

4 hours ago, esaj said:

Not 100% sure, but probably option number 2. AFAIK, the manufacturers don't count it as full charge cycle, unless you go from 0(ish) to 100%. So charging from 50% to 100% is like half a cycle (and actually the cycle consists of both discharge and charge, or the other way around). I don't think it will be that detrimental to the battery even if you charged it to 100% at work, just don't leave it fully charged for longer times (days, weeks, months...). Although of course not charging it all the way to 100% should stress the battery less, but it's not like it's going to be spoiled right away if you do so (and once in a while it's a good thing to make sure the cells stay balanced).

From what I've read I would agree with this as well. Once you know how long it takes to get to about an 80 percent charge, you could use a simple timer on the outlet to shut it off automatically. That would be a good safety feature as well, you don't really want to leave the battery charging unattended in case there's a problem. Every week or so it would probably be good to do a full charge so that the BMS could get into its cell balancing mode.

Thanks, i will probably get a timer. Hard to figure out hiw long it takes though, because its hard to tell what percent of battery i am starting with. Battery indicatir is too unreliable and not precise. I guess it will be an estimate.  Thanks!!

Archived