Beginner EUC for my kids

I am looking to buy my first EUC for Christmas for my kids mostly. They are ages 10 and 12. They weigh around 75 and 85 pounds. I have been looking at the Mten3 and the Kingsong 16S. I am thinking that the Mten3 would be better because of the lighter weight. I have also seen a couple of youtube vids with kids riding them. The Kingsong 16s weighs half as much as they do.  What is the best one to learn on for these size kids?

Also I don't have any experience riding EUC's. We have electric scooters now.

• Like 1

The Mten3 should be the most fun of the two, but the 16S is a better transporter. Half the weight is still doable for lifting, and kids grow fast. I’d say the 16S except if the intent is playing around in a park.

Edited by div
  • Like 1

The Mten3 is a good wheel. I don't think it is the best choice. It is more of a circus wheel. Looking at the numbers it seem  like a good choice. It was called the pocket rocket. they are fast with hyper turning. The 16s is more stable. It is more durable and easier to learn on. Kids grow up fast. Seven people have learned to ride on my 16s. 

Thanks guys. I was thinking about the weight of the EUCs. If they get a 38 pound EUC, that is half their weight. It would be like me getting a 90 pound EUC to learn on. I don't know. I have heard guys on youtube saying the Mten3 is great for beginners and other guys say it is best for experienced riders.

• Like 1

I acquired a mcm5v2 for a Amish fellow for his kids. 8,10,12. The day I took it out they all (+1 neighbor kid) played with that and my 16s. They all had a lot of fun with both wheels, even the youngest girl. I hear they are still having fun with it.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

My wife just asked, "Does this guy ride?" .... No   "OK, that's why he doesn't understand."

If you look up 6 year old kids riding EUCs you will find them on dad's Mten3 because it is the only thing a six year old can get their legs around. It is about physics. You have to lean hard to make the wheel accelerate. A six year old could not demand the overwhelming power from a Mten3. A ten year old can. It is also about tire size. The smaller size tire is going to have more jumpy torque and less stability. We have speed demons that ride other wheels at 50mph on busy streets that would be terrified to ride a Mten3 at top speed. The 16s is not only more practical, it is safer. 

Kids are strong for their size. My 120 pound daughter rides a 77 pound wheel. (Sherman) 

Also check out- KingSong 14s, GotWay MCM5, InMotion V8

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

Something else to consider. It is easy for us to teach our kids to ride because we also ride. Learning to ride takes most people weeks. If your kids are self motivated you won't have a problem. However this is not something you learn the first day. It takes many failed attempts. You could learn too? Make it a family adventure? These things are actually very practical and once you learn more stable than a bicycle ... IMHO

Disclaimer: My daughter learned in ten minutes but she also stands in hammocks while rocking.  

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the weight personally, unless you need them to be able to haul it up and down stairs or put it in the trunk. And I think that if they want to, kids can and will learn to ride anything, even if it's as twitchy as the MTen!

Instead, I'd be thinking about "what if they really like this" and "what if they don't". If they really like riding, you'll want something that will have "room to grow" and I think the MTen will top out well before the MCM5 or 16S. That said, the good thing about the MTen is that it's so unusual that it may have a purpose long after the kids have moved on to more capable wheels—I bought mine as a second wheel for goofing around picking up trash in the neighborhood, trying to ride backwards, dreaming of being Pico. I don't think it's worth selling for what you could get for it so if you approach it as a "keeper" you'll feel better.

Again, if they like riding I think the kids will be able to use one of the larger wheels for longer—both can be used to "go somewhere", hang with buddies on their bikes and skateboards. My real reservation with the MTen and preteens is that it can go fast, but gets dangerous above 15 mph and frankly, that's a very easy speed to reach. I'd be much more comfortable with a more capable wheel for my kids because they will test the upper speed.

If you go with the larger wheel and the kids don't take to riding, there is "some" resale value because they are good learner/loaner wheels. The MCM5 in particular can be a dedicated off-road wheel, so it may earn a place in the stable.

I'd go MCM5, 16S, V8F class of wheel myself, and if they don't ride it enough, sell it. Or better yet, YOU learn to ride it! I promise you, it's more fun than you can imagine. Then get a fast wheel, and then get an MTen.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. The MCM5 does look good. I am planning to learn to ride too. I used to ride a skateboard for years when I was young.

I was worried that the weight of anything bigger than the Mten would be too intimidating for the kids, and maybe cause them to get frustrated and give up on it. 

I think I will go with a 14 or 16 inch wheel.  I was thinking about getting another electric scooter, but I can't fit 3 of them in my small SUV. That led me to look at EUCs and Onewheels. I'll keep looking at the bigger EUCs.

• Like 1

You don't really need it ....... but ..... It kept mine looking new....... and It keeps the resale value up. 

I have 6, ....no actually 7 wheels with no intention of selling my 16s. 

Edited by RockyTop

I just changed a tire on my 16s. You can find Youtube instructional videos on just about every wheel. I expected it to take an hour. It took me 15 minutes  The 16s is easy however if you just get the motor and wheel out I am sure that a bicycle shop will change he tire for you.  The tubes have to be ordered special for unicycles. A bike sop will not have one. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to share context regarding my experiences with my 7 year old daughter who learned to ride with me earlier this year. I started her out on an 10” MTen3 and due to the general friendliness of that smaller wheel to kids, she was able to learn very quickly. In a few months, she was able to outgrow it (i.e. frequently hit the speed alarm beeps), so I got her onto my first wheel, the 16” Tesla v2. While she was able to apply her experience to learn that wheel quickly and enjoyed the extra power and speed over the MTen3, she didn’t feel as agile on it due to the added weight and the size.

I ended up getting her the 14” MCM5V2 as a good next wheel while she grows and learns for the next level.  Since then, she hardly rides the MTen3 because the MCM5V2 has the agility, range, and power combination for her use case. Plus, I’m not sure I’m ready as a parent to get her a 30 mph wheel just yet! She has hit 28 mph on the MCM5V2, but only on occasion. I try to exercise caution for her when hitting those beeps, and that they are warnings, not challenges.

Edited by TheSlyGiraffEV
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, nebulabass said:

Thanks SlyGiraffe. That is what I was thinking about the Mten3. Another thing I need to consider is that I need something that can keep up with our Ninebot scooters. They can go 19 MPH. Can the Mten3 cruise along at 19 MPH safely?

Safety depends a little on how skilled you can ride on it. The faster you go, the more you need to confirm your confidence in controlling the wheel and keeping it stable.

If you get the 84v version of the MTen3, you should be able to cruise up to speeds of 23-25 mph. For my daughter, I usually set a speed alarm for her at 22 mph to keep her from going to that speed too often. 19 mph should be no problem for the MTen3 to keep up, but again, the faster you go, the more skilled you need to be.

I overpowered my 67V MTen at 14 mph (per the EUCW log), speed beeps set at 16 mph. Hit a crease in the pavement maybe an inch high and it just went "off, now!". I heard no beeping. Happened at 46% battery with a very firmly pumped up tire. In hindsight, 14 mph is too fast for 46% battery, and don't ride a rock hard tire.

Watch the battery level, it does matter. 19 mph is fine with a full battery, but the battery doesn't stay full for long.

• Like 1

Indeed..if you are worried your kids will hit the upper limit of the MTen3 quickly, then I suggest going with the MCM5V2, which is what my daughter has moved onto. I sometimes forget how small and light she is (65 lbs) so the performance she gets from these wheels is pretty minimal load.

• Like 1

Anyone who hits beeps a lot on the mten is pretty much just waiting for face impact. I dont find those speeds much fun at all on a tiny ass tire anyhow. Anything over 15mph on an mten is just not much fun to me. My guess is a 7 year old that hits beeps at 20mph, hasnt crashed at 20mph yet. I also dont think theres a huge difference between 20 and 30mph when it comse to crashes. Yes, one is worse, but both are fast enough that you're just playing the luck card as to how the crash ends up.  I would definitely suggest a larger wheel if one want to travel above 12mph averages. I follow my wife around on her scooter doing 15mph and its horrid. I hop on my 18xl and follow around at 15mph and its luxury. Quit buying these kids expensive wheels :) Do their hearts a favor and make them pedal a bicycle. I was lucky, I didnt hardly get sh*t as a child, so now I get to REALLY enjoy when I earn expensive things.

Edited by ShanesPlanet