Largest tire that fits in an Msx84?

the cst/kenda knobby are way softer than MC tire, the tire is designed to copy the terrain, not to mantain the shape like for example a michelin

that's way it's amazing offroad and also the reason why lot of riders bended the rim with it :D

Yeah I think the kenda knobby isn't really an 'MC' tyre as such. It's got a way more compliant carcass than a proper MC tyre. I can barely pinch the sidewalls on the Pilot I have, and can only just about depress the tread section with my thumb even when unfitted!

But I don't buy that the softness of the kenda is giving the rim problems. Never had the issue with the 5102 on the MSX at 25psi, and thats deffo a softer carcass than the Kenda. The issue is the Veteran rims, plain and simple. Proof of this is that many have busted their Sherman rims at 40+ psi, when theres no way the tyre would have compressed enough to hit the rim. Thats why I don't advocate high pressures on the Sherman, people are missing the point, and by running high pressures you could actually be making the problem worse (no flex in the tyre sends forces straight to the rim).

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Planemo said:

I tried it down to 19psi in the end to try and get bump compliance.

Wow. It really isn’t a suitable tire for EUCs then.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Planemo said:

to get the low speed turning better, the ability of the knobby to take me off road when I occasionally need it is very handy.

You really need to try the Heidenau K66 (80/90-14)! Or at least the ChaoYang H-666 (18x3”). The low speed turning on the K66 is surreal, I can do tiny circles like nothing. And it’s  still very predictable and stable at any speed, any turn angle, and any surface.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I must admit that K66 does look like the perfect cross between a trail knobby and a road tyre :)

Besides it’s reassuring looks, it definitely delivers!

Oh to have gotten even a cent from every K66 sale I have caused… I might even have money for a can of non-alcoholic beer already!

• Like 1