Personal Taste In Maximum Achievable Speed

Lex Smith

What's the maximum speed you would be happy with on an EUC  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Given the choice what speed would you like your EUC to be able to reach even if you don't intend on always riding at that speed?

• 5 MPH (8 KMH)
    • 15 MPH (24 KMH)
    • 25 MPH (40 KMH)
    • 35 MPH (56 KMH)
    • 45 MPH (72 KMH)
    • 55 MPH (88 KMH)
    • 65 MPH (105 KMH)
    • I WANT THE FASTEST AVAILABLE DEVICE

I interpret the question as "what max speed would you want your EUC to be capable of if the price for higher topspeed would be a reasonable increase in cost and/or weight". At my current stage and use case (city commuting, off-roading, no racing, no highways) I would like to be able to match top car traffic speed [for general safety and to maintain positioning between batches of cars formed by traffic lights]. Any extra speed capability would be nice, but not worth extra money/weight or torque tradeoff. EUCs with >55mph, >35kg are really encroaching onto territory where other vehicles make a better case for the average person, at least safety-wise. Nevertheless I am excited to see ever faster performance EUCs and hope for spectacular EUC GP events (EUCs are so lightweight that there absolutely should be rider weight categories!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

OK! who said 5mph!? :shock2: Was it you @pico? :D LOL. I would not begin to consider anything below 15 mph. 

Noooo! I abstained to say .002 mph   !

Working on this! (not me in the pic...grrrr)

Awesome-EUC-Tricks-June-2019.gif

Of course on 130Wh !!!! and no handle...

You favorite troll  :roflmao:

• Like 3

I originally set 65 mph, but changed it to the fastest available. Honestly, it's not speed that's the limiting factor for me... it's mainly cost of the wheel, budget, and whether or not I mind how heavy the wheel gets since weight usually increases with power and range.

I want that power and speed to be there with headroom if I want it even though I rarely go faster than 35 mph. I prefer to enforce self limits than have my wheel decide that for me. It's very similar to why I'd want that type of speed in my car even though I usually follow usual speed limits. Examples include temporarily speeding up to pass obstacles, or putting some distance between me and someone tailgating behind me, or if I've fallen behind a group and want a boost to catch up. I want the achieve the speeds I need to do these things without riding the limit of the wheel, which is far more dangerous on a wheel than a car.

• Like 1

I assume you mean speed with safety margin when you write "able to reach", I wouldn't want to hit 72kmh with 1% safety margin left. 😬😂

• Like 2

As a useful device I would like a safe margin of 45 mph. I would consider this a family car- wheel. However some of us like race cars. You don’t usually drive them on the streets. They are not sold to the general public. As a race car wheel I want 90mph+ why not? They race motorcycles over 200mph. Not safe? Not at all. It is not for you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I picked 45 because I like riding up to 30 and a 50% margin of safety seems good. 

KS and IM wheel’s still have 30-40% of speed margin left at the top speed.

It seems that there are two different ways of understanding the question:

1) How fast would you ride, or

2) How fast do you want the wheel to be capable to go to have enough safety buffer.

Because the buffer at top speed varies so much between wheel manufacturers, I thought that surely it’s my maximum riding speed that the poll must be meaning to ask.

If not, then:

55km/h for an Inmotion, 60km/h for a KS, and 75km/h for GW and it’s relatives.

Give me  top speed of 75mph and I can travel the roads leaving my planet at speeds  keeping up with the cars doing 60mph in a 45mph zone... On my Sherman I consider 45mph to be safe top speed and 50mph to be the unsafe version....

The only reason I do not ride my S18 on the road as often is because I do not feel safe only being able to do 28mph with traffic. When I do ride public roads, it is mostly backroads with little to no traffic at all.  Hopefully the S20 doesn't disappoint. :D

My choice of wording could have been better - in my mind I was thinking 'reasonably safely achievable '.  I say reasonably from the perspective of device safety I.e. not cutting out and being stable.  

I'm not overly reckless but enjoy calculated risks to remind myself that I am alive.  In the past it's been fast motorcycles, hang gliding, sky diving,  skiing to name a few.  Currently rock climbing and EUC riding scratch that itch.  The bonus with the EUC is that it's my daily commute as well.

• Like 2