Photos and thoughts from disassembling my 'new' v11

Richardo

Great post, and a well documented disassembly!

41 minutes ago, Richardo said:

⬇️this connector was under pretty strong tension, due to short wires. there was no way to make it sit at ease.

If you didn’t yet assemble it back together, I would first check that the left side battery wires go to B1 and C1 connectors, and the right battery wires go to B2 and C2. There have been a few units with cross connected cables.

If that doesn’t solve the tight cable, most of the wires do slide a bit in the cable organizer molding, so you can just pull the wires carefully, as long as there’s even a bit of leeway on the other side of the molding.

↘️noticed some scuffing on the motor cable heat shrink before disassembling

sWVPonk.jpeg

That cable was not at all where it should be! No wonder it got scuffed. It should run at the very edge of the cavity, and go under the small lip next to the battery casing screw that has the red thread locker on it.

I wonder if the previous owner had replaced the motor himself. I haven’t heard of a single unit come assembled like that from the factory.

The bearing seals. Besides reducing friction that would probably deform and destroy the seal, another point of the grease is to keep water out. Inmotion has said that they tried several different greases and oils, and that a thicker grease didn’t work too well. I don’t know what the issue was, but I would use a genorous amount of grease that would optimally be almost runny. I sometimes even mix grease and oil myself for some purposes.

nHa7lEa.jpeg

⬆️I was wondering how the shock could travel so smoothly through this raceway thing, and suspicious of how it didn't have _any_ grease on it. 

Well the answer is these plastic bushings!

Not solemly though. Your motor has barely any mileage on it, so the black suspension rails still have their coating intact. Those were the days… Once it wears out, the suspension travel does get sticky when accelerating or even keeping up a faster speed (since they push the plastic sliders harder towards the rails). 

Applying grease on the sliders would account for a short while of the coziest, cushiest and smoothest rides you will ever experience, but it would attract dust and fine sand which would grind through the plating quite fast. After which there isn’t a substance in the universe that you can apply to make it as smooth again for longer than a few dozen miles.

Wiping the exposed part of the rails clean as often as you can bother would definitely pay off.

Other thoughts: I wanted to open the motor and see all the windings and stuff, so I unscrewed one side. The plate was stuck on more firmly than I could remove with my fingers, so I decided to leave it be

Good call. And not because of the water seal (which you obviously have the skills to remake), but since the motor cover is responsible for aligning the rim, it could’ve been a bit laborious to get the rim running perfectly straight again.

Put blue thread locker on everything.

Are you absolutely sure that the thread locker you used is safe for plastic? The plastic that KS uses for example gets very brittle when in contact with regular thread locker, and I don’t know if the V11 shell is any different.

Btw, I thought the number stamped on the bolts represents the hardness of the metal. I could be wrong though. Either way, be careful with all machine threaded screws or bolts that holds plastic in place. Some of them are oversized and very easy to over tighten and crack the plastic.

I also think that the V11 is the nicest wheel to work on, the parts and how they go together really is well designed. If the V13 will just have a suspension that can endure a heavy rider doing hard core off-roading (and a bit larger battery), I’ll be in heaven. Again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

If the V13 will just have a suspension that can endure a heavy rider doing hard core off-roading (and a bit larger battery), I’ll be in heaven. Again.

Is much known about v13? I would like a second wheel as a spare and would happily reinvest in INMOTION. 

2 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

Is much known about v13?

Absolutely nothing else than it will compete with the big boys, S20 being the closest competitor I’d assume.

2 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

would happily reinvest in INMOTION. 

Me too. Especially since others’ comfort and riding characteristics have a good bit of catching up to do.

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If the V13 will just have a suspension that can endure a heavy rider doing hard core off-roading

What are your current psi settings, if you do not mind? I thought that the V11 was a bit cushy under my large frame until I disregarded the vendor's suggested settings. I do admit that the design of the lower shock chambers limit the terrain in which the wheel can be aggressively ridden on (I popped a shock via the valve cap in rocky terrain early on). 

Richardo - thanks for posting as I have a tire change coming up on my V11 and all the visuals I can find are gold.

Edited by gon2fast
doh

39 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

What are your current psi settings, if you do not mind? I thought that the V11 was a bit cushy under my large frame until I disregarded the vendor's suggested settings.

Yeah, the suggested ones definitely don’t work for everybody. I use 150/60psi for my 103kg (+ gear). This could help you finding your settings:

39 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I do admit that the design of the lower shock chambers limit the terrain in which the wheel can be aggressively ridden on (I popped a shock via the valve cap in rocky terrain early on).

Oh right, that too. I seem to have accustomed to it, since I only scratched it in the beginning. Though by “endure” I meant against wear, not impacts.

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Applying grease on the sliders would account for a short while of the coziest, cushiest and smoothest rides you will ever experience, but it would attract dust and fine sand which would grind through the plating quite fast. After which there isn’t a substance in the universe that you can apply to make it as smooth again for longer than a few dozen miles.

Wiping the exposed part of the rails clean as often as you can bother would definitely pay off.

Good point I hadn't thought about the grease attracting road dust. Have you tried spraying yours with teflon? curious how that works on a high mileage wheel.

Are you absolutely sure that the thread locker you used is safe for plastic? The plastic that KS uses for example gets very brittle when in contact with regular thread locker, and I don’t know if the V11 shell is any different.

I should have been more precise- only used thread locker on metal to metal threads. I didn't think there could be a benefit for threadlocker in a plastic connection.

Btw, I thought the number stamped on the bolts represents the hardness of the metal. I could be wrong though. Either way, be careful with all machine threaded screws or bolts that holds plastic in place. Some of them are oversized and very easy to over tighten and crack the plastic.

Also agree here- anything that is a connection meant to hold a plastic in place gets a gentle finger tightness. For 'structural' connections like the ones holding the shock/pedals to the rim I did torque precisely- even without knowing the mfr recommending tightness. You probably already know but for anyone else reading, there are 'standard' tightnesses and 10nm is appropriate for a medium quality m6 

o0fiL3I.png 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Richardo said:

Have you tried spraying yours with teflon? curious how that works on a high mileage wheel.

With a standard PTFE oil, yes. Same thing, gets wiped off (enough not to feel the benefit anymore) during a single ride. Same thing even with a mixture of PTFE grease and wax, which is what stayed on the best on a separate aluminium bar scratched with a plastic spatula. I guess a smooth metal surface doesn’t have enough crevices for the lubricant to stay in.

only used thread locker on metal to metal threads.

That makes sense.

'standard' tightnesses

I never bother to use a table like that, too many screws and bolts in my life! I trust in my experience to end up with a tightness close enough. Aluminium threads are after all quite different from steel for example.

I had actually ended up with almost 10Nm just going by feel, as I tighten those bolts with a 11Nm e-screwdriver with the torque ratchet at 5/6.

• Like 1