Please help me choose

This is the best “what should I buy post that I have seen” I just wish I could give it my best answer. 

As you may realize you are looking at a compromise. Suspension and range cost weight. …. Yet you have no speed requirements …. YET. 

Quick answer. 
V5, 14D - No!  These are the opposite of suspension. 
16s, V8 - Better than v5 and 14D by magnitude. These are good enough for your specs. Still a rough ride. (Change this to your low end) 

Suspension - Ain’t lying, suspension is sweet. I have one and love it. That said you lose a bit of agility, control. You gain a bit of forgiveness too. Keep in mind that the larger, fatter tires on the non suspension wheels help quite a bit. Almost suspension ( my personal choice is not suspension ( 50+)) 

v8 to v8f ( batteries sizes really small and really small +0.000001)  yet good enough for your specs. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. When I asked about Inmotion it was a question about V8F and V8S (not V8). I know the difference between V8 and other models).
There are only 3-4 models with the suspension and they all seem to be a bit to heavy for me (but still is is so super hard to figure out because I have not have one in my hands to carry...). 
I kinda narrowed down my choice to IM-V8F, KS16S, KS 16SX , OR eventually IM-V5F (and upgrading later). I have also seen v5F+ on YT but I cannot locate any place to check what's extra as opposed to V5F (?)

PS>
I've seen an article where they opened V8S to verify the difference with V8F and stated they only difference is the battery arrangement. On eWHEELS it shows up that the BAT.  is larger by about 10-15% and that should increase a millage. V8S is $200 more than V8F so I want to figure out if it is worth to pay a bit more if I could get better range, but I still quite confused about this

Edited by sadarahu

Jason at eWheels has a long history of requiring more from the Chinese manufacturers. Better battery brands, better connectors, larger motor wires, stronger boards. I am not sure of the upgrades on the V8S. His prices are competitive. The product is usually better,  the service IMO, is unmatched. The V8 was a cutting edge wheel 5 years ago. Now it is getting close to a kid’s toy status. The changes have been made to keep it in the low end relevant area. The good news is that at 150 pounds you can actually enjoy this wheel. This would be an indoor wheel for me. The vacuum cleaner lady won’t let me ride indoors anymore. 

side note: My boss was 55 years old. He said 10MPH is tops for him so he got the 16s. Six months later the 16s was too slow. He has had the 18XL for two years and says that it is a perfect fit. …….. I am 51 , I have a 45 Mph wheel and can’t wait for that 60mph wheel to come out. :w00t2:

Yes I have crashed many times. It is what I am good at. Everyone has skills mine is negotiating with pavement. 

• Like 2

Thank you guys for suggestions.  I fully understand if somebody is young enought to keep 2-3 heels. I do not thin I would do that (unless I move to some western states to enjoy more of the nature and weather)). I really do not like that fact that for at least 2-3 months I will not be able to use the toys.

I was riding my morot bike last weekend and I damaged the rim a bit. The side/edge  is bended and I can feel it under the break pad. Will try to fix this (since this is aluminum), otherwise would have to buy a new rim,    This makes me rething the suspension on the wheel. The bad part is that none of the lighter ones has it.

OK, I just watched today a video with range test of V8F and was rather disapointed. The guy made roughly 17miles and walked 2 miles home. I was hoping to get at least the 75% of what is shown on the specs (which in case of V8F is 27 mi).  It seems that the range will be way to small for me. although I like everything else.

RODO - could you tell my how much more range did you get from V8S as opposed to V8F ?

I really pisses me off when the maufacturer lies about the range. I would be OK if there is 10% exageration but 40-50% is a shame. Now I have to reconsider either going to the higher range (=price) or going to lower range (price) until I learn to ride and utilize the speed/weight/price benefits.

On this page
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=5C7F7C96B9CB240D!453580&ithint=file%2cxlsx&authkey=!AH72KLYXambSLHc
It would be great to add extra ROW to list realistic range (as an average compliled from user reports)

I just checked eWheels and it seems that KS-16s has a better range for the $100 less than V8S

14 hours ago, sadarahu said:

RODO - could you tell my how much more range did you get from V8S as opposed to V8F ?

Range is relative. The faster you go the less range you get. I did a run with the speed limited to 15 miles/hr with the V8F and I notice that the manual was somehow accurate. I haven't done that with the V8S. Here is more useful info than my opinion. This chart (picture below) is from the V8S manual. Pay special attention to the side note on the range. You do get good range if you limit the speed (and weight, etc). It is just difficult , for me, not to wanna go FASTER...LOL. But the 33 lb weight is ideal for me. The KS 18X looks nice but the 45 lb weight is something I don't want to handle.

Inmotion V8 series data web.jpg

• Like 1

I am looking to get a euc too, but Ontario only allows 500w 32kmh electric bike and scooters. So I don't want buy one then get a ticket or worse, it gets taken away because of the law here. Anybody in Toronto or Scarborough let me know what you have and if you have been stopped. 

Well "they" limit your freedom almost on a daily basis and we really need to resist, otherwise in 10-20 we will all be a slaves directed by artificial intelligence.
Unfortunately some people abuse the speed and have no respect to other, to nature etc that is why we get our pay off in the form of less and less freedom, and this happens all over the world.

Yes I would love to get connected with local EUC, but first I have to get one - haha! Unfortunately, I was not able to find anything used in my area. Well with the exception of one NINEBOOT-One which does not seem to be a best choice (even for learning) - am I right ?
I checked eBay, Craiglist and FB and there are very little choices and those interesting are far (and the shipping is expensive because of the weight). I would also rather take the unit in my hands before reaching for my wallet.

RagingGrandpa - really nice PIC !

The table from the manual is helpful but still does not take into consideration the average speed and rider weight. 37km seems to be
a max and I would rather want to know what is the guaranteed minimum (with my weight 140LB and average 15 mph) ?
They really should change those rating, as they are very confusing and inaccurate. 

I wonder how do you compare V8S with KS16S ,  which seems to have a bit better range (or am I wrong?)  

9 minutes ago, sadarahu said:

would rather want to know what is the guaranteed minimum (with my weight 140LB and average 15 mph)

no guarantees, but at your weight and at that speed you should average something less than 20 Wh/km (probably quite a bit less—reality would be closer to 15 wH/km). But if you use 20 Wh/km as a conservative starting point and do the arithmetic against the battery capacity, you can be pretty well assured that you'll find your "probably almost certainly" minimum range.

Thank you for all valuable information and posts. I kinda narrowed down my choices to those, below.
KS16S seems to have a better range than V8S , although V8S seems to be much more polished (and also has better app) (am I right or wrong ?)

Could you guys please tell me what you dislike on those wheels (if you have /had any of  these, I mean real experience not the Specs.) in the aspect of 50-60% off-road'ing.?

Samm wheels

- KS14D

- V5F

or bigger wheeel

- KS16S

- V8S

Those wheels are in two different categories, so I would love to see your choice in "Small Wheel" and "Bigger Wheel"

Edited by sadarahu

I'm about 100Kg and 6'3". I had a V5F and at 15mph (it's top speed) I'd get 12-15 miles. The 14" wheel always felt a little unstable on the road. My 16S would give a range of about 22 miles when travelling at just over 20mph. If I rode slower and weighed less then obviously I'd get more range. The 16S felt like a useful transport and was much more stable on the road because of the 16" wheel. Neither wheel felt great off road (to me). Going at 15mph at your weight then I'd image you'll get close to 30 miles on the 16S. Another option to consider might be the V10F.

To be honest i was in your position when i was looking to buy my first wheel.

I did as you have done and relentlessly watched YT vids and joined forums. 

You are a similar age and weight to myself (im 45 and weigh around 110kg). 

After all my questions and researching i came down on 1 of 2 wheels, either the KS16X or the Nikola 84v. 

In the end i was really lucky to find a great, used Nikola which ive had now for about 3 months. Its been a steep learning curve but the bigger tyre (its actually closer to 17 inch rather than 16) and the weight give it great stability. Yes it may weigh more than other wheels but it has a great trolley handle and a lift sensor.

Id recommend you check out site like eucguide.com as they have a list of localised groups and join them. You will be surprised at how many riders you will find close to you. Also these groups are a good resource for used wheels too.

Sorry for the long reply.  

Good luck and let us know what you get!!! 👍

P.S. budget is a huge consideration too, the lower price wheels may seem enticing but im pretty certain you would outgrow something like the V8F in a few months.

Edited by Darren Crosbie-Rowlands

Still doing some research, but most likely I will go with KS16. Does anybody know if KS16 (in its latest version ) has a wheel sensor switch/OFF when lifted OR it is still manual shut off ?

Edited by sadarahu

One other question:

Has anybody found any wheel with replaceable battery ?  I have seen one some time ago but it was small, and I cannot remember the brand.
I think replaceable battery should be next step in EUC development.

I also would like to know if anybody had ever tried to use some power bank (as temporary solution to get few extra mils when stuck on the way home) ?

2 minutes ago, sadarahu said:

One other question:

Has anybody found any wheel with replaceable battery ?  I have seen one some time ago but it was small, and I cannot remember the brand.

I also would like to know if anybody had ever tried to use some power bank (as temporary solution to get few extra mils when stuck on the way home) ?

The KingSong 14B had a replaceable battery. It was 174wh. Really small and powerless. Today the batteries are by far the most expensive and heaviest part of the EUC. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, sadarahu said:

I am 150 LB, 50+ YO.
Here are some features I am Interested in:
1) RANGE
2) WEIGHT
3) 60% city, 40% OFF-ROAD
4) CHARGING TIME
5) COMFORT-STABILITY

I do not care about:
- lightning
- speakers
- speed (as long as it is 15mph+

Alright this is a good list of point to give recommendations on. 

I am a little unsure about the 2nd point. If it need to be light because of lifting or heavy because of stability. 

It you are long at a light wheel that rules out range in general as battery is the heavy part together with the motor. 

Looking at comfort and off road riding I suggest a wide tire preferably 3” and I would look at 18" over  16" too. I would maybe not look too hard at suspension because of your list. 

About charging there is not a huge difference overall since most use same cells more or less and that dictate charging speeds until we see new battery technology. Topping up from 30 to 80% is much faster process than from 50-100% so if you have big enough battery it should help you with both range and charging to enough to ride again. But once in a while you will need to full charge and enter balancing cells and that takes time.

I don't recommend GW branded wheels. That comes because of their design choices. I think the KS16X would be a great match maybe KS18XL. Sometimes you can get a bargain on a V11. The biggest point here is battery at 1500wh or more. 

If you want a lighter wheel KS18L or V10f and it cost less but you must charge it more frequently to go same range due to smaller battery. 

I gather from your research and post that it is your first EUC. So that is normal not to know how big a change this will be for you and how much you will be using it. And you might need to learn how to ride too. If that is the case I would recommend something like the V10F (or KS18L) It is cheap and it can get you started and once you know how to ride and want to do more you will know what you seek in an upgrade.

From my profile you can see I had most of the wheels I talk about. The KS18L/XL is more or less same wheel these days but the difference is battery pack (more weight but more range and safety).

Note: View this post as an add on to the post from @mrelwood above. His post is covering most you need to think about.  Now the 14" wheels are growing out of fashion due to limited range and speed since they didn't have big batteries. Also lower pedal height. But some had high torque that can be useful depending on what you do for off-road. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sadarahu said:

Yeahh, perhaps power bank in a backpack would be a solution for at least emergency backup.

That is not an option. Power bangs operate at different volts in general and will not surfice to charge a wheel. 

You do not top up wheel in the same way as a mobile phone. This is due to multiple cells on battery that needs to be balanced. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sadarahu said:

One other question:

Like I wrote to your other questions. In general EUCs are not build this way.