How to clean off that sticky gunk when removing side pads

kolmog

Hi all, as title, when I removed the stock side pads from my tesla there was this extremely stubborn glue / sticky stuff that was really hard to get rid of. Alcohol didn't do it. Is there something combo of solvent and abrasive material that works better? Cheers

Try cooking oil. It works for some adhesives and doesn't harm plastics. Acetone (nail polish remover) can attack plastics, so try it first in small non-visible place. Well ventilated place isĀ preferred.

Edited by Eucner
typo

Anything that you wouldn't eat needs to be checked before use to be sure it doesn't harm the plastic, but I generally use Goo Gone with good success, isopropyl to finish getting the last bits (and to remove the Goo Gone). But anything oily like peanut butter or even mayonaise can make the job easier.

• Like 3

I can confirm that something really potent (like carburettor cleaner/maybe some acetones) can and will damage the plastic on Gotways. I tried some carb cleaner on a small test piece inside the panel on mine and could see it was affecting the plastic. Shame because it works brilliantly to get off goo.

I ended up using IPA but it's a LOT more work!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:18 AM, Eucner said:

Even hairĀ driers temperature is enough to melt some plastics. Don't ask how I know. Don't use heat gun on plastic unless your intention is to melt it.

With proper control, using a heat gun or hair dryer on plastic is fine. Holding in one spot will cause damage, moving back and forth and checking frequently is good practice. I used a heat gun to thermoform Kydex, worked great and looks good when you take your time.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyingWigs said:

With proper control, using a heat gun or hair dryer on plastic is fine. Holding in one spot will cause damage, moving back and forth and checking frequently is good practice.

Yes, it is possible to use heat gun from safe distance, but it might take few EUC's to learn the proper technique :D.

2 hours ago, FlyingWigs said:

With proper control, using a heat gun or hair dryer on plastic is fine

I just had to do this to get off both the sticky gunk and added glue... I made sure that I wasn't burning my fingers with the hair dryer or the gunk I was peeling off, no damage to plastic. It took an hour of very patient work though.

In general, pressure sensitive adhesives and stuff like contact cement will lose their sticky when warmed up. Cyanoacrylates not so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I just had to do this to get off both the sticky gunk and added glue... I made sure that I wasn't burning my fingers with the hair dryer or the gunk I was peeling off, no damage to plastic. It took an hour of very patient work though.

In general, pressure sensitive adhesives and stuff like contact cement will lose their sticky when warmed up. Cyanoacrylates not so much.

It will come off with petrol straight away

• Like 1