:/ first time falling... Newbie in a gotway msuper v2

eried

You do realize that the beep isnt what was effecting your speed, right? Its not like its a governor or anything. Sheesh man, you may need to review your thought processes some. Removing the ONLY safety device that tells you when you are at max 'safe' speed, should have been an obvious no-no. Live and learn, looks like you survived.. Now if I could only find that pesky Darwin award I earned last year, I'd hand it over.:thumbup:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You do realize that the beep isnt what was effecting your speed, right? Its not like its a governor or anything. Sheesh man, you may need to review your thought processes some. Removing the ONLY safety device that tells you when you are at max 'safe' speed, should have been an obvious no-no. Live and learn, looks like you survived.. Now if I could only find that pesky Darwin award I earned last year, I'd hand it over.:thumbup:

yeah I know, I just muffled it a lot so it was not that annoying (I actually installed a smaller one with a dab of glue). I will be more careful now :D just a couple of scratches rolling in the asphalt. Did not know the wheel was just going to "let me go", I was waiting for it to tilt me back instead... stupidly 

Edited by eried
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, eried said:

yeah I know, I just muffled it a lot so it was not that annoying (I put a smaller one with a dab of glue). I will be more careful now :D just a couple of scratches rolling in the asphalt

You look like its WAY past time to step up to something much faster. Youll never get the capacitor charged and wind up in 1955, like that. Tough old bird you are. Last time I got a minor ding, it was a nightmare to ride home.  The only question left is... did you stick your finger in the wound, just to make sure it was real? Sometimes we have to do that as when we are traveling solo, we aint got no nearby friends to poke at it..:efef927839:

Brace yourself, the safety gear slutz wil be along shortly....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You look like its WAY past time to step up to something much faster. Tough old bird you are. Last time I got a minor ding, it was a nightmare to ride home.  The only question left is... did you stick your finger in the wound, just to make sure it was real? Sometimes we have to do that as when we are traveling solo, we aint got no nearby friends to poke at it..:efef927839:

lol, yeah all scratches are real, im in overall muscular pain now. I just got this old cheap wheel to play with, it has been so enjoyable that I have been consider a newer one... but dont know, maybe this current max speed is safe enough. I might go too crazy if it was too powerful

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eried said:

lol, yeah all scratches are real, im in overall muscular pain now. I just got this old cheap wheel to play with, it has been so enjoyable that I have been consider a newer one... but dont know, maybe this current max speed is safe enough. I might go too crazy if it was too powerful

The struggle is REAL. I gave up protecting myself from myself, MANY years ago. I play the odds. 51% chance I'll not get hurt, you say? Hold my beer and watch this! "fast enough" isnt a real thing is it? I'd say we may find the lochness monster, before we figure out whats fast enough on an euc. My reality has been 40mph is pretty quick on an euc. Yeah, I like to go faster at times, but cruising around at 35-40mph with headroom is where it's at. Gotta love being able to keep up on the street, but  still mosey at 5mph on the sidewalks too. Coming from sport bikes, noone is gna convince me that 50mph is actually fast. You ask me, I dont consider myself a fast rider anyhow. Now, 165+mph on a 2-lane is approaching 'fast', but thats just cuz i didnt grow up flying planes... B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 2:29 PM, eried said:

hi!

I know it is retard what I did, I was just very annoyed by the beeping at about 26 km/h which felt very slow... the beeper is installed again and I will stay under 30 km/h. 

It's easy to say it was dumb in retrospect, but I'm more interested in what led you to remove the beeper before you knew better.

We all want this sport to be safe and accepted, and if i was a product manager at Gotway, I would consider this a failure in my new user onboarding process. 

I have only purchased used wheels myself, but what kind of warning & documentation comes with a new wheel? Seems like an explanation should be printed in bright colors on a big wrapper. We're all EUC heads in this forum but imagine a completely naïve user who buys it, and wants to GO! without reading 'a bunch of bullshit'. Thats the attitude of probably 40% of humans.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Richardo said:

It's easy to say it was dumb in retrospect, but I'm more interested in what led you to remove the beeper before you knew better.

We all want this sport to be safe and accepted, and if i was a product manager at Gotway, I would consider this a failure in my new user onboarding process. 

I have only purchased used wheels myself, but what kind of warning & documentation comes with a new wheel? Seems like an explanation should be printed in bright colors on a big wrapper. We're all EUC heads in this forum but imagine a completely naïve user who buys it, and wants to GO! without reading 'a bunch of bullshit'. Thats the attitude of probably 40% of humans.

My gotway wheel came with absolutely NO useful information about how the alarms work, how to maintain a battery, and what to expect for power and safety. The average consumer is definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to instructions or knowledge of their first wheel.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Brace yourself, the safety gear slutz wil be along shortly....

LOL never thought of myself as a 'safety gear slutz' but hey I'm fine with that :-)

Not going to offer unsolicited advice on that front though - we're all adults and can make our own decisions.

I live vicariously through your videos @ShanesPlanet - cruising around free as a bird enjoying a smoke  :-)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

My gotway wheel came with absolutely NO useful information about how the alarms work, how to maintain a battery, and what to expect for power and safety. The average consumer is definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to instructions or knowledge of their first wheel.

20 years ago this could have been an excuse but with the bounty of the Internet at our fingertips we're spoilt for information.  I'd done hours of research before setting foot on an EUC and had a pretty good understanding of the risks and how to avoid them.  This forum and Youtube were my mentors and allowed me to skip a lot of the trial and error learning process.  I did the same for the notorious 'One Wheel' and based on what I observed and read decided against getting one of those in favor of an EUC.

• Like 3

I wonder how far you'd roll in one of those if you went over at 30 kph? Probably can just hose the barf out so at least the cleaning-up-afterwards shouldn't be a problem. I am thinking it's not the ideal kit for mountain trails... but super fun on flat grass!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I wonder how far you'd roll in one of those if you went over at 30 kph? Probably can just hose the barf out so at least the cleaning-up-afterwards shouldn't be a problem. I am thinking it's not the ideal kit for mountain trails... but super fun on flat grass!

Only one way to find out!

Let's see..................... who on this vast forum has the courage to try this????????? Volunteers???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richardo said:

It is because I thought the beeper was just about the speed (like as my cheap airwheel, that tilts and breaks you at 18 kmh). This one just stops balancing you.

1 hour ago, eried said:

It is because I thought the beeper was just about the speed (like as my cheap airwheel, that tilts and breaks you at 18 kmh). This one just stops balancing you.

Yes GW/BG and Veteran are the only brands that let you turn off tilt back entirely (or doesn’t even set it by default?). A friend of my dad wanted to try « how fast » a EUC could go and rode past the beeps right into face plant. Luckily it was an old MSuperV2 that doesn’t go all that fast..

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I feel like the legs hanging out the bottom would take some punishment.  I'll pass on that.  I've been in a large zorb ball where you are completely inside it - it's all good while you are sliding within the inner ball as it rolls until you hit a bump then you start to bounce around inside it which is distinctly uncomfortable.

Oh boy it was painful to watch :o

For now, it's best to keep in mind that on several wheel models, even tilt-back can be ignored - or not even triggered in some scenarios before the wheel is over-powered or over-leaned into a crash.

Wishing you good recovery @eried
I'm surprised that despite your painful learning experience you chose text in the video that's kind of misleading, the wheel doesn't "empirically shuts off" at some speeds as if it was some kind of failure. Instead in this case there is no doubt it was 100% user error, starting with your hardware modification.

Question tho, what feedback or alert mechanism do you think would have kept you safe here?
Literally a voice telling you to slow down? Strong tilt-back shifting your balance under you forcing you to reduce speed?

I'm currently working on a beeper alert app for Gotway wheels and I wonder what kind of better alert mechanism could have worked in this situation.

Edited by supercurio

Sorry Paul, I didn’t mean to be the video po po. I watched it twice I think. I just find it super scary because I imagine myself in there with absolutely no control. I know people die daily in many gruesome ways. It’s not like the car crash compilations  I watch occasionally…..

Edited by OldFartRides

I wish Gotway (and sherman) had user setable and gentle tiltback like my 18xl.  I am waiting for the day my mten drops me on my head at 16mph (at least I can hear its beep). Or maybe the day my Sherman will roll me down the street like a broken bowling ball at 50mph. I have MUCH more faith in my 18XL and its ability to warn me should I go momentarily speed blind. All I can say is... don't get complacent. I routinely hit threshold beeps (eucw 20%) on the sherman within a handfull of miles beginning at 100%.  One also has to remember, Im just a mediocre rider at a mere 130lbs who notices this on pavement.

What, I missed the gruesome vid? Oh well, there's already enough in my minds eye that I can't unsee...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

@ShanesPlanet yeah there's tiltback and tiltback.. the one on my 16X (up to date firmware) is pretty good as well: it doesn't creep in on you slowly, yet it's not too awkward so you'd lose balance, it's clear, brief and it just works.

I tried enabling tiltback on my Sherman, at 20-something kph and it was absolutely awful.

First it deployed slowly so you can't really tell it's happening and then when you really notice it the angle is pretty significant so you decide to brake, and the negative pedal angle happening when slowing down somehow adds up to the tiltback making the whole manoeuver precarious, uncomfortable and imprecise.

I would never enable such tiltback on Sherman at higher speed after this test because it completely messes up handling, whereas I'd be absolutely comfortable with a Kingssong 16X-like one at max speed instead.

Have anybody tried the tiltback on various Gotway wheels?

• Like 1

My GW (MTen) has no tiltback setting that I've found... but I'm pretty sure it has the non-adjustable "self destruct sequence initiated, eject operator—RIGHT THIS INSTANT, WITH PREJUDICE" feature that's standard on all wheels.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1