Help from those with more experience

DS1

Hi guys,

I am trying to decide what wheel to purchase that would be best for me. Currently I ride Mten3 just for fun around the neighborhoods in my area for 30- 40 minutes at a time. No plans for commuting. I weigh about 150 geared up and don't foresee the need for a lot of speed but would like to be able to cruise at 30mph with headroom. I don't ride in bad weather  so water resistance isn't my top priority. My dilemma is I have never ridden any other wheel so my experience is pretty slim. I feel I would like an 18" wheel but not sure how close a 16" like the v12 would compare. I was an early adopter of full suspension mountain bikes and enjoy playing around with shock settings etc.so the v11 interests me also. The one other wheel that I am considering is the RS torque model. Safety is my major concern I don't like the feeling of possibly being taken out at any moment  by a rogue acorn on the Mten3. Anyone have any thoughts? 

Wherever you live, chances are that there are other riders in your area as well. If you can’t find a local riders or a Facebook group, consider taking a little trip to a place where there are. Having the chance to see, touch, and ride other wheels is immeasurably valuable when trying to decide which wheel to fall in love with! Just be prepared that at first every single wheel you’ll try will feel drastically different to your Mten. Don’t let it scare you, you’ll familiarize tired with any of them.

If you don’t have specific hopes for the tire size, wheel weight, battery size etc, you are in a great place! Most models are good enough for what they are, and I would only avoid the extremes such as the S18, Z10, any first batch unit, and of course all clearly too small battery sizes.

The V12 is very stable for a 16” wheel. It’s actually the only 16” wheel I’ve enjoyed riding after switching to 18” wheels. My size and weight surely have a lot to do with it. I actually really liked the V12 an awful lot. Huge amount of value for dollar as well.

I ride the V11, and there is no other wheel I’d trade it for. That could change with the V13 and the S20 though, but especially the latest production version is an extremely nice wheel.

I used to ride the MSX 84V, an ancestor to the RS. After the V11 it felt like a jump back a few decades in tech, quality, and especially comfort.

• Like 1

KS 18XL. Only 28mph real top speed, but they gave us a fairly conservative margin. Simplicity, efficient, comfy and glorious tiltback. Did I mention comfy? I ride mine more than my other two combined. Unless I KNOW the day is going to call for keeping up with 35mph traffic.... KS18XL it is! Keep the Mten, its also a wonderful wheel, especially now that you know what to expect from it.:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

@DS1 Your post makes me think you are going to end up with multiple wheels. Many have said that there is no "one wheel" for every situation.

Pick an average middle of the road wheel for your 1st big wheel and then you can decide if you want to go up or down from there. But you will probably go up AND down from there! Lots of folks start with the 16X. It is a torquey brute, but not as fast as others ... fast enough for most things ... but not for playing in traffic! ... if that is your style. The RS-T (hollow motor newer version of the MSP-T) is like an 18 inch faster 16X.

At 150 lbs you have more choices than heavier guys. I usually stay with torque wheels due to my weight. But I do also have less torquey wheels that I enjoy for the different feel, like the Monster. They just require more gentle riding.

• Like 2

Thanks to all for your input! It was a surprisingly hard decision, but in the end I decided to order a V11. I know that the KS18xl is a rock solid wheel and I hope I won't regret my decision. I just couldn't get past the price being so close to the V11 but with seemingly older technology. If the KS18xl came with a 3" tire at a slightly lower price point it probably would of been my choice. Either way this will be a huge upgrade from what I have now in regard to my intended purpose. Next order of business is to pick out a light weight full face helmet and better knee/shin pads. Now the days will feel like weeks as I await delivery.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DS1 said:

I know that the KS18xl is a rock solid wheel and I hope I won't regret my decision.

The 18XL is indeed a nice wheel, but I would pick a V11 over it any day if I was in the market for a wheel @1500Wh. You won't regret your decision for one minute. Either way, both are nice wheels and theres no way you will feel like you made a catastrophic decision going for the V11, it just needs a bit more thought, learning and setup re the suspnsion system but once done you will be on a cloud and in harmony with it.

Enjoy :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DS1 said:

Thanks to all for your input! It was a surprisingly hard decision, but in the end I decided to order a V11. I know that the KS18xl is a rock solid wheel and I hope I won't regret my decision. I just couldn't get past the price being so close to the V11 but with seemingly older technology. If the KS18xl came with a 3" tire at a slightly lower price point it probably would of been my choice. Either way this will be a huge upgrade from what I have now in regard to my intended purpose. Next order of business is to pick out a light weight full face helmet and better knee/shin pads. Now the days will feel like weeks as I await delivery.

Congrats on choosing a wheel. In the euc world, 'older technology' is a misnomer. My 'older' Camry has 400k miles on it and still gets me from A to B comfortably at 35mpg. There has been subtle changes in the euc industry, but you will find that most all wheels within the last 3 years, are close to the same technology. Suspension is nothing new, but for the euc market it is. Well not really. Hasnt suspension euc's been out now for a year? SO they are 'old tech' now too.

You're going to enjoy the new wheel. Just be sure to browse over the 'older designs' next month, when you realize theres a billion reasons to own more than one euc, and very few reasons why no to! Some old, some new, some good, some bad. So many flavors to choose from and only so many hours of daylight to enjoy them.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

That is so funny that you mention the Camry. Because that is exactly how I described the KS18XL to my wife. If it was a car it would be a Camry, maybe not the flashiest but it flat out works day in day out. It's all good as the V11 is my placeholder wheel until the 3rd batch S20 are out. :roflmao:

• Like 2