Mten3 70kg weight limit

paupaj

Hey guys,

Thinking of buying my first EUC - Mten3 84v, 512wh

Just one thing that bothers me is 70kg maximum tire weight... even though EUC can hold 100kg... (I weight somewhere between)

Have any of you guys experienced any issues (short & long term) because of that? 

Thanks...

• Like 1

Same as almost every wheel on the market

the bicycle tyre on most 18” EUC’s is rated to a similar weight

Yet many people with a total system weight of 100+ kg travel at 50km/h for many thousands of KM no issues

• Like 1

I had Mten3 and i'm 100kg, no issues. Just don't jump the thing, axel might brake.

Mten is niche wheel, it's hard to jump on board, but easy to learn because of the small but wide tyre. You can almost stand still on it.

I don't know if somebody is using it for commuting or anything, we have such a bad roads, that mten3 was too small tyre for it. 

I would suggest something a bit bigger wheel mcm5, v10 etc..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask if these (and the current published values) are for the current model, or different for any particular generation / revision?

I’ve noted that the most recent change appears to be to a tubeless tyre. Although this doesn’t specifically preclude using tubeless on older releases (expecting no fundamental change to the rim); the tyre itself will (should) purposely differ.

The 70/100kg values don’t raise concerns for me (I’m not particularly weighty nor a stunt rider), but the the implication is that the machine is for shorter people and/or limits to the low end of ‘normal’ BMI.

I guess I’m asking; as weight isn’t a problem, this model should be fine for a typical 6’+ adult (it doesn’t seem to be targeted at younger people), and the current spec isn’t any less suitable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Googlyhead said:

<100kg limit>
these (and the current published values) are for the current model?

Yes.

All MTen3's to date have the same motor. Its axle is tiny and will crack and fail with >100kg riders or with vertical slams. Special care is needed, because riding off typical curbs is too severe.

Great little wheel, and otherwise extremely durable... mine's had literally hundreds of lowspeed crashes on asphalt without requiring repair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Yes.

All MTen3's to date have the same motor. Its axle is tiny and will crack and fail with >100kg riders or with vertical slams. Special care is needed, because riding off typical curbs is too severe.

Great little wheel, and otherwise extremely durable... mine's had literally hundreds of lowspeed crashes on asphalt without requiring repair.

Thanks for that informative illustration. I’m expecting some compromises with any model, so it’s not putting me off!

As I like dismantling and tinkering with things; I might opt to machine a circular recess into that outer carrier (or a replacement) to actually take the axel (instead of the load being on the threaded part). It wouldn’t even have to be deep to make a appreciable difference. 

• Like 1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B092VTBPYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

THING'S too awesome not to mention, like twice as thick and made to be tubeless, doubt i'll get a flat for a good long while PLUS around 50psi exactly, i'll try and test it with slightly less but my goodness, mten goes to 21mph with NO warning beeps, usually it was 17-18mph first beep. Handles like a dream and it's amazing going that fast without a beep (which rightfully should scare you, i wouldn't try riding the beeps and risking a cut out it's too nasty)

edit: correct me if i'm wrong but with higher rider weights higher psi is generally a sensible consideration - weight specs listed on tire normally describe some weight at a certain psi, but that doesn't necessarily mean maximum psi at least it doesn't seem like it reads that way to me even syntaxially .. it is literally not saying that when it says max load at a given psi, is it not? anyway, anything more than a bit higher than 50psi and i lose that epic 3-4mph boost, i'll check to make sure it's the same for even a bit lower as well, but i do believe so based on how it had seemed a few days ago at 47 something

Edited by Lillerskates
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2021 at 4:16 PM, winterwheel said:

I've  found they are very susceptible to getting flat tires, although I can't say for certain that is a rider-weight issue.

Its not so much weight as it is.. the stock tires are made of silly putty mixed with playdoh. Earlier versions had some flubber, but it was getting expensive. I'm fairly certain I could ruin an mten tire in 3 minutes, by simply doing spins in place on asphalt. I weigh a mere 130lbs and the mten seems like it doesnt HATE me, but i do have to suck up all the drops and rocks, with my knees. The axle is small, so even getting the hangers torqued to 100ftlbs is pretty much a dicey idea. The tubed mtens seemed worse for random flats, but the tubeless is still soft as sh*t.

@Lillerskates you aint lying! Once you put a tire with some sort of durability and stiffness/plies on the mten, it REALLY takes off like a rocket. If i traveled longer distances or used my mten to go places, I'd definitely mount an upgraded tire and just get used to it being twitchy. I liked the tire upgrade I tried temporarily. Only downside was the vibration from the road was increased and it slightly effected rider comfort. For heavier people tho, its a no brainer!

As for thinking too much into printed psi on the tires... DON'T. There's no telling where/how they came up with those tire specs. These arent DOT rated tires, so dont make the mistake of assuming they adhere to ANY realistic ANYTHING. Just being round is too much to assume as well. If you look, we are usually well over max weight rating for one of these baby tires anyhow.  50psi is a freaking hard tire. At one point you may risk the tire blowing off the rim or simply exploding, with too much air. With too little, you risk the rim taking abuse. I run my mten at 20psi but its a delicate and soft ride. 50psi would simply blow my knees out and make my feet go numb. Horses for courses.

Edited by ShanesPlanet