Looking in to installing mood L.E.Ds on the sherman suggestions?

No1up

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

If you build

I'll stop you right there...I dont want or need to be building controllers :) and ready built ones would make the overall conversion more expensive.

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

if you want to go the extra length.

Thats just the point (for me). I dont need the extra length. I wont be using any colour other than red for the rear and white for the front. And I have already found the patterns I want (which I wont ever touch again) in the cheap controllers.

But yeah, if people want to play around with patterns/colours/modes on a regular basis then a fully programmable controller might be a good option. If you're someone like me who has a struggle even getting hold of a laptop to program them then the el cheapo chinese controllers may be just fine :D

• Like 2

Short crappy video please 😁

I don't understand any of this lol. 🤣 I have to see it to make it click. 

Edited by No1up

25 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I'll stop you right there...I dont want or need to be building controllers :) and ready built ones would make the overall conversion more expensive.

Thats just the point (for me). I dont need the extra length. I wont be using any colour other than red for the rear and white for the front. And I have already found the patterns I want (which I wont ever touch again) in the cheap controllers.

But yeah, if people want to play around with patterns/colours/modes on a regular basis then a fully programmable controller might be a good option. If you're someone like me who has a struggle even getting hold of a laptop to program them then the el cheapo chinese controllers may be just fine :D

Alright, fair enough, if you change your mind sometime look into WLED. ;)

Little update, bit deflated tbh. I tried the tint spray on a sample area of strip and it's not curing (drying), presumably it's reacting with the silicone/rubber that covers the strip. Real shame cos it looks brilliant, tints really nicely and very stealthy when offered up to the wheel. Looks a lot more factory than the bare strips just slapped on and being obvious. Not sure what I'm gonna do now, can't think of any other way of tinting the strips, considered regular car window tint film but I don't think it's gonna like the curves etc so I think it's a non-starter. I think for the moment I will just get them on there as they are and see if I can find a way around tinting them at a later date.

Also, I hadn't considered that the stock Sherman mudguard tapers out towards the top of the wheel (that'll teach me for not looking first) so the rear strips don't have enough room to go as high at the fronts. Bit of a bummer and could probably be worked around by using another type of mudguard but I like the look of the stock one, it's tough and fits well. So, looks like I will be cutting the rear strips shorter than the fronts.

44 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Also, I hadn't considered that the stock Sherman mudguard tapers out towards the top of the wheel (that'll teach me for not looking first) so the rear strips don't have enough room to go as high at the fronts. Bit of a bummer and could probably be worked around by using another type of mudguard but I like the look of the stock one, it's tough and fits well. So, looks like I will be cutting the rear strips shorter than the fronts.

I cut my (standard) mudguard with a dremel tool to make space for the LEDs to go under it, works great.

11 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I cut my (standard) mudguard with a dremel tool to make space for the LEDs to go under it, works great.

Yeah I considered that, but looking at the angles it would seem to remove a lot of the side support for the mudguard. Would really appreciate it if you were able to post any pics :)

33 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yeah I considered that, but looking at the angles it would seem to remove a lot of the side support for the mudguard. Would really appreciate it if you were able to post any pics :)

That plastic is not critical, it doesn't affect how well it stays attached. 😊

20210917_170110.thumb.jpg.9b047fbc6b7a5c1544c8cb745fe79009.jpg20210917_170125.thumb.jpg.d176f8ff46b975694ff06f13f8f88a4a.jpg

26 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Cheers, although not sure I can make out whats happened there! Looks like the LED's and area where you cut the mudguard is covered in grey mastic?!

I put a layer of extra silicone on top of the led sleeve to diffuse them a bit more, it looks grayish because I was out off-roading yesterday so they're a bit dusty. 😁 Trust me you don't notice it when they are on.

20210917_175330.thumb.jpg.943acdb7083c7c7c3eeb13ec5c91bdd8.jpg

Edited by Rawnei

Ah yeah looks a bit different when illuminated! Cheers for the pics, given me something to chew on. Not sure what to do yet, I might just run them lower without cutting the mudguard, dunno yet. Good to see what they look like higher up though :thumbup:

Just a quick update, I finished this conversion a couple of days ago, looks really nice, I ended up keeping the stock mudguard like @Rawnei so cheers for that!

I also ended up tinting the strips with headlight tint film which came out really nice, although I think I am going to remove it at some point and go darker as the 'medium' tint isn't as dark as I would like.

I have done a few videos during the process which I will stitch together into one and post up the link when done.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Just a quick update, I finished this conversion a couple of days ago, looks really nice, I ended up keeping the stock mudguard like @Rawnei so cheers for that!

I also ended up tinting the strips with headlight tint film which came out really nice, although I think I am going to remove it at some point and go darker as the 'medium' tint isn't as dark as I would like.

I have done a few videos during the process which I will stitch together into one and post up the link when done.

Thanks, looking forward to setting the mod

Righto, finally managed to get the vid uploaded, I warn you guys, its a bit painful. I am rubbish talking to a camera. And the audio is shite. Oh and it was fiImed on my phone. I ended up taking vids as I went along and just stitched them together at the end. 38 minutes of droning, but it may help or interest someone if you can manage to stay awake.

• Like 2

@Planemo, the LED's have turned out  'Top', especially with the Dark Tint that you were after which I personally agree looks the far better option! Glad to see you are now happy with the final result and that the control board diagram for the 5v tap in points, I found online for you helped you out.

Thanks also for putting the video of All the steps together, it's gonna be very useful and informative for the community to see step by step how to achieve a quality install, rather than just throwing on a couple of power banks on the exterior shell!

You are definitely a man after my own heart, in the way you approach your mods and this has spurred me on to update my 'Dual USB Port' install at some point by soldering directly to the 12v on the board.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

Cheers bud, means a lot, especially after the hassle of filming it and trying to get it edited/uploaded via gopro app and youtube (its only when you do this stuff you appreciate how much effort it is!) considering everything was done on my phone lol.

I like the idea of a 12v sourced USB outlet, but the internal front end of my wheel is stuffed with the led mod now. I can live with my 4x 18650 14000mah power bank for now, especially as it lives in my backpack and the cable runs over my shoulder to the phone holder on the front of my pack. But yeah, the wheel itself is a massive untapped powerbank!

• Like 1