Quackery

Paul A

Personally, I suffered no ill effects from the two shot Moderna vax. 
I took my chances with science over virus.

Your results may vary.

Best,

Edited by OldFartRides
My ignorant post corrected.
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Yes, was meaning people not listening to doctors, but choosing to listen to quackery from conspiracy theorists.

I like listening to quackery. It's been a long time since I heard so much creativity, and every time you discover something new.

The best one was an online discussion between 3 conspiracy theorists who couldn't agree on which conspiracy related to covid was the right one (Bill Gates Big Reset stuff etc). It was quite a sight :D 

• Like 1

Many pharmaceuticals are found to be effective against other diseases or conditions they weren't initially made for.

Check out the John Campbell link below, he always follows the science. He is not antivax, He called this pandemic way back in Jan/Feb 2020.  Watching  his early vlogs and you will hear his frustration that on-one was taking this outbreak seriously.

• Like 2

Article from "Nature" August 2, 2021.

"Nature" is the preeminent scientific journal of the world.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02081-w

Article from the FDA (Food and Drug Administration of the USA), current as of September 2, 2021.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

• Like 1

“Not listening to doctors”

Who is not listening to doctors? The crazy conspiracy theorist, the crazy politicians or the psychotic media. I don’t think anyone is listening to the doctors. The doctors I know are not supporting the vaccine, at least not behind closed doors. I had COVID 19 in May of 2020. ( positive test, fever for three days)   I was told by my doctor to avoid the vaccine if at all possible. He said I don’t need it and it could cause problems. ( heart issues, blood clotting, stoke) …. He stressed that the side effects are more  common than is being reported. 

So…… I should listen to my doctor, right!  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Article from "Nature" August 2, 2021.

"Nature" is the preeminent scientific journal of the world.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02081-w

Yes, Elgazzar's studies were retracted. And they weren't the only ones. You didn't check the link I provided you - c19ivermectin.com already lists Elgazzar's study as "retracted" and doesn't count it.
That's what's great about meta-analysis - if you don't trust some data, you can just retract them and recompute. Overall, almost all prophylaxis and early treatment studies show positive effect. Retracting a few studies doesn't change the results in any substantial way.

37 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Article from the FDA (Food and Drug Administration of the USA), current as of September 2, 2021.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

That's their opinion. One of the arguments is "Currently available data do not show ivermectin is effective against COVID-19" which I obviously disagree with. And I hope we can agree that government agencies make mistakes all the time.

India, Zimbabwe and Mexico already prescribe Ivermectin as an early treatment.

###

You didn't address any of my points, it feels like you just posted a few links from Google. 😟

A good place to start are those two podcasts:
- Pierre Kory & Bret Weinstein - COVID, Ivermectin and the Crime of the Century
- Bret Weinstein & Robert Malone & Steve Kirsch - How to save the world, in three easy steps

I link to these particular podcasts because:
- they were banned from YouTube (YT's policy specifically forbids "recommending" Hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin)
- they were thoroughly fact-checked (BetterSkeptics subscribers found 5 errors overall, I consider that a very good number considering how many hours they were talking)

If you still disagree, can you please answer with data, not with links to opinion pieces?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

If you still disagree, can you please answer with data, not with links to opinion pieces?

Interesting discussion. Kudos to you for truly doing your homework on the matter, and forming your opinions on available confirmed facts! That’s a rare thing to see. That is the heart of good science. Me likey!

Unfortunately opinions on vaccines (in general, not just Covid) are usually extremely strongly based on fear and distorted and corrupt, even purely incorrect “news”. Trying to discuss the subject often turns to be similar to V11/S18 suspension “debates” or even GW vs KS arguments of past years. And in the worst case may end up like a fight about riding speed between a NYC rider and an European one. Meaning, everything you say can and will be taken out of context, and answered with personal insults.

However, I should still have one bag of microwave popcorn left. I’ll be reading this thread with interest, and I have a feeling that the popcorn might be gone by the end of the week. :popcorn:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

I looked at available data (VAERS, Eudra, raw efficacy data from various governments, my personal risk factors, Covid death and injury rates, countless studies, countless substances...) and decided that the risk of vaccine side-effects is comparable to the risk from the Covid itself.

Interesting.

However our hospitals are currently slowly filling up with unvaccinated people, not with vaccinated people having side effects.

• Like 3

US CDC 

Updated September 2, 2021

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

Australian Associated Press (AAP)

September 8, 2021

https://www.aap.com.au/australian-vaccine-death-claims-are-a-data-dupe/

Claims of deaths caused by vaccines might need to be treated with caution.

Obtaining drug approval is a stringent, rigorous process.

The clinical trials alone comprises of three phases.  The third phase of Pfizer's Random Controlled Trial (RCT) was over 43k participants.

Efficacy calculation.

How many in the vaccinated group contracted covid? (x)

How many in placebo group contracted covid? (y)

Divide x/y to get (z)

One subtract (z) to get efficacy rate.

Many cases of hospitalization from ivermectin, ingesting bleach, unvaccinated dying.

As per other comment, not receiving reports of hospitals being overwhelmed by vaccinated patients.

Think eminent scientific/academic journals such as the multidisciplinary "Nature" and the British "Lancet" medical journal, the FDA, the CDC.....should be relied on more so than YouTubers, podcasters, etc.

• Like 1

How COVID-19 vaccines are being tested

Before a vaccine is registered for use, it is tested extensively during development and then in thousands of people. Testing first begins with laboratory research, then animal studies and finally human clinical trials. Clinical trials involve testing the vaccine in volunteers, and are conducted in phases.

Clinical trials must provide scientific evidence which demonstrates that the benefits of a vaccine greatly outweigh any risks.

Phase 1

Phase 1 clinical trials usually include a few dozen healthy adult volunteers. They focus primarily on establishing that the vaccine is safe, and also on demonstrating that the vaccine induces an immune response.

Phase 2

Phase 2 clinical trials have hundreds of volunteers, and can include specific groups for whom the new vaccine is intended. For example older adults, children or people with pre-existing medical conditions. These trials aim to test whether the vaccine causes an immune response and confirm that it is safe with minor side effects, such as a mild headache.

Phase 3

Phase 3 clinical trials include many thousands of participants. They aim to test whether a vaccine is effective in preventing people from getting the disease – in this case COVID-19. Phase 3 trials also thoroughly assess the vaccine for safety and side effects.

In a Phase 3 trial, researchers usually compare data between vaccinated people and those who received a placebo (like a salt water injection). They compare the frequency of infection, disease severity and any reported side effects between the two groups.

Moderna 28k participants.

Astrazeneca 32k participants.

5 hours ago, Paul A said:

Claims of deaths caused by vaccines might need to be treated with caution.

With respect to those that have actually died of COVID 19, I personally don’t know anyone that has died of COVID 19. I do pets know several people listed as died of COVID 19.

1) Motorcycle accident -cause of death = COVID 19

2) 10 years of heart surgery ending in heart attack- cause of death =COVID 19

3) terminal cancer - cause of death COVID 19

And It seams that no one has died of old age in over a year. :whistling:

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

@ir_fuel Good point. I'll address your example tomorrow, it will take some time to gather numbers and my thought process into one, long post. 👍

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Science doesn't tell us what is true but tells us what is false. The difficulty people have is they forget that everything changes too.
Lay people don't look beyond a report to see how credible it is and wether it followed scientific method.
We need to trust the experts who are doctors/virologists and know what they are talking about. They are credible and have vast knowledge and experience.

Science "tells" us both, but it's noisy as hell, because it's made by humans. And humans make errors... And sometimes they even lie.

I dislike when people talk down to "lay people", as if "doctors" and "scientists" were some kind of godly creatures. But only those who agree with us are godly! Wrong-thinkers are evil.
It leads to censorship of wrong-think - for example virologist dr. Robert Malone got suspended on LinkedIn for being skeptical about Covid vaccines.

The truth is, you'll find an expert/doctor for any opinion you can think of. So "trust the experts/doctors" means essentially nothing. There is no scientific consensus on this topic.

###

I identify as a tinkerer and an engineer. I care about what works in practice. And I think it's a goddamn shame that we didn't test ALL substances that are safe and suspected of working.

There were 42mln confirmed covid cases in the US. That could've been 4200 randomized-control trials with 10k people in each one... But no! Why? Maybe it would cut into someone's profits?

I'm taking Quercetin daily since 04.2020 as prophylaxis, after it was proven to work in-vitro. And the first study was released 11.2020... With 113 patients. 🤦‍♂️
My faith in "Science" was lost in this pandemic. And government institutions are failing all over the place.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

Clinical trials are expensive to conduct properly.

The three phases/steps helps to identify which drug(s) are worth continuing research on, in terms of safety and efficacy.

Cost is not only in terms of money.

Cost in terms of time and lives lost.

Limited resources of laboratory time, human expertise time, money, equipment, researchers, analysts etc...... perhaps not feasible to conduct unlimited Randomized Control Trials.

Scientific papers need to be peer reviewed for publication.

33 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

With respect to those that have actually died of COVID 19, I personally don’t know anyone that has died of COVID 19. I do pets know several people listed as died of COVID 19.

1) Motorcycle accident -cause of death = COVID 19

2) 10 years of heart surgery ending in heart attack- cause of death =COVID 19

3) terminal cancer - cause of death COVID 19

And It seams that no one has died of old age in over a year. :whistling:

That's just nonsense.

You talk about this from an American point of view. No way every hospital in every country in the entire world would fake covid deaths. Why would they? Not every country runs a "for profit" health care system, yet the results of the disease are the same everywhere.

Pretty sure number one is pure nonsense and hearsay. "I know a friend who has an uncle who ...".

• Like 1

Google query:  "Are scientific papers peer reviewed before publication?"

Scientific findings and discoveries can have far-reaching implications for individuals and society. This is one reason why they undergo a process of quality control known as 'peer review' before they are published.

Does peer review happen before or after publication?
Peer review is the system used to assess the quality of a manuscript before it is published. Independent researchers in the relevant research area assess submitted manuscripts for originality, validity and significance to help editors determine whether a manuscript should be published in their journal.

• Like 1