Can kids ride an EUC on the road in California

Goblyhoo

11 hours ago, Goblyhoo said:

Does a top speed really show the top speed because I have been on my friends one wheel and gone 24 mph does that mean the euc can’t keep up being the v8f going 22mph?

Short answer, yes. Long answer: it depends on weight, battery level, and conditions. A light rider on a full battery will be able to push the wheel a little past the advertised top speed. A heavy rider will not, and will likely want to stay below that top speed. For the smaller wheels, the top speed really is the top speed. You get beeps, and tilt back preventing you from riding above that speed, plus it's dangerous. So no, a v8 will not keep up with a onewheel going 24 mph. An MCM5 v2 would.

Haven't used them myself, other members might be able to comment.

I just used a supermarket shopping cart/trolley at the very beginning, to start with straight line forward movement.

Hard, smooth surfaces much easier, but slightly bumpy grass is softer.  

Wrist guards and gloves the most important protection.  Knee and elbow guards next in priority.

14 hours ago, Goblyhoo said:

do they help?

No, quite the opposite

3 hours ago, Goblyhoo said:

Ok protection gear? Anybody know anything about protection gear if hes flying at 20mph what should I buy.

TONS of threads around here. Depends on his needs, intent, size and how deep his pockets go. Look to skateboard gear, mountain bike gear. Each type has plus and minus'. I say tennis shoes, blue jeans and a t-shirt, done and done. Perhaps shorts instead of pants, if its summer in LA. I wouldnt be caught dead in anything more than mesh in LA summer on a wheel that doesnt touch 40mph. I wear an aerostich suit rarely and only when I'm fixing to act a total idiot and push that risk meter to redline. A kid has no buisness wearing a custom suit tho, as they will outgrow them and its just a wretched waste of $$. B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

15 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

No, quite the opposite

TONS of threads around here. Depends on his needs, intent, size and how deep his pockets go. Look to skateboard gear, mountain bike gear. Each type has plus and minus'. I say tennis shoes, blue jeans and a t-shirt, done and done. Perhaps shorts instead of pants, if its summer in LA. I wouldnt be caught dead in anything more than mesh in LA summer on a wheel that doesnt touch 40mph. I wear an aerostich suit rarely and only when I'm fixing to act a total idiot and push that risk meter to redline. A kid has no buisness wearing a custom suit tho, as they will outgrow them and its just a wretched waste of $$. B)

Helmet ris guards kneepads elbow pads should be good?

3 minutes ago, Goblyhoo said:

Helmet ris guards kneepads elbow pads should be good?

I'm really the wrong person to get an opinion from about wearing gear. Im solidly in the corner of letting a kid wear nearly nothing, as I typically do. Not a popular opinion in todays world and around here, but its pretty easy to clarify. Fwiw, cotton is warmer than polyester when it comes to shirts. I do wear sunglasses most of the time tho. Can't be getting a headache from it being too bright and losta bug out here.:D

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Just word of caution, these aren’t easy to learn to ride, in comparison to a OneWheel. After learning on my own (which itself takes a bit of drive and motivation given the difficulty) I then taught my daughter how to ride both OneWheel and EUC (MTen3) and it required a lot of careful instruction and practice drawing from my personal learning experience. So, it’s tough to learn and easy to be discouraged if he thinks it may be as easy as the OW to ride.

That said, I think the MCM5 is a good first wheel and once learned, will be a very satisfying experience. Just gotta stay with it until it clicks and becomes second nature, then the world opens up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goblyhoo said:

Ooooh it’s coming today I’m going to suprise him.

Most excellent! Be sure to check tire pressure, fully charge it and go over ALL the settings in the app of your choice...  EUCW for droid and DarknessBot for IOS. Hopefully he picks it up in no time. However, most of us find it a little challenging at first. I could ride a OneWheel in 3 minutes of practice. The EUC took me quite a bit more. IN short, don't let him get discouraged. THEN you must not let him overestimate his skill. Learning isnt nearly as dangerous as that "im invicible" stage we all get to. :)  SO excited for you and him! THe mcm5 is totally big enough you can enjoy it too, should you choose. Short sessions, dont let him get overly tired. This is one of those odd things that you get better as you sleep on it. The more tired or frustrated you get, the worse it gets... Again, hopefully he picks it up within 10 minutes and all will be great!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 12:42 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Most excellent! Be sure to check tire pressure

+1 on that!

Tire pressure proportional to body weight - more weight, more pressure etc. 

Low pressure, ~ 20 psi is good for learning stability. Note: keeping the pressure low for a long time (100 miles or so) will wear the tires prematurely. Increase slowly with progress for better response and it's a good way to find the sweet spot.

For a cheap ankle protection hack; use high socks and fold them down til they're thick in the ankle area. Shin guards on the starting leg (the one that stays on the pedals) will minimize pain on the shin from learning to mount. 

Hope that helps

• Like 2