Is a tyre plug okay for tubeless euc(pinhole puncture)

Forwardnbak

I need to run out the door and noticed a drawing pin stuck in my V11.

Im racing the clock but would a tyre slug work? The rubber plug type sticky rubber you wedge in and it fixed in place.

I have one here from my motorbike repair kit. 

I don’t have slime or know how it works, am I better off heading to the car store? Buy some cheap slime? 
many thanks 

Now it seems after I have everything together the valve stem is spitting air when inflated, if you push it it spits out more air so I’m guessing the valve is done.

can anyone suggest the quickest option? 
new inner tube? EUC shop is shut today.  will a bike tube work? 18x3.0 

can the valve be replaced?

if replacing the tube is a full disassemble necessary? Looks a big job on v11. 
Thanks. I did search but couldn’t find exact Info. 
Rather trust you all. 

Plugs for puncture repairs only work with tubeless tire installs. Almost all EUCs, like the V11, have an inner tube.

4 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

Now it seems after I have everything together the valve stem is spitting air when inflated, if you push it it spits out more air so I’m guessing the valve is done.

Seems so. If the valve stem has teared  itself from the inner tube, there really is nothing you can do but to replace the tube. Slime may hold for a while, but the hole already is or can easily become much larger than Slime can deal with.

The air escapes from a ripped valve strem with a hurry. The time between a valve stem tearing the inner tube and a completely empty tire with zero steering/sideways balancing properties is about 3 seconds. Guess how I know…

will a bike tube work? 18x3.0

Otherwise it would, but EUCs require an angled valve stem. Bicycle inner tubes have a straight valve. Especially the V11 is a tight fit to inflate as is, so you might not get any air in the installed tire.

can the valve be replaced?

No, it can’t.

if replacing the tube is a full disassemble necessary? Looks a big job on v11.

Not “full”, but “extensive”. Follow my guide for the most optimal workflow:

3 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

I tipped the wheel and spun it and must have landed some slime into the valve area. Seems to be holding. I’m really hoping I need it on the road. Lesson for me today. 

I wouldn’t ride it. Slime doesn’t glue anything, so the tear will get larger at some point, at which point the Slime will no longer hold any air inside. If you happen to hear the “pop”, you might have a second or two to stop. If not, I hope you have an extensive amount of safety gear on, because an EUC you suddenly can’t steer means an immediate and unavoidable unmount.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

The air escapes from a ripped valve strem with a hurry. The time between a valve stem tearing the inner tube and a completely empty tire with zero steering/sideways balancing properties is about 3 seconds. Guess how I know…

It can go a lot faster. When I had my instant puncture on my V8 it was only a snakebite puncture. 

By snakebite I mean a dual punch set hole due to pressing the tire too much.

PSX_20180707_111554.thumb.jpg.1e2d790a89bbb98e3b47f47d00f6495f.jpg

This was the concrete rockchip I hit at 30 kmh. It bumped the wheel airborne and when touching the ground it was total flat. I am pretty sure that didn't take 3 sec. 

To OP. It isn't possible to use tubeless repair kits on s tubed tire. Tubeless repair kits only address the tire not the tube.

Should it come for you to need to replace the tube ot use patches on the tube. Make VERY sure you attach the motor wire cables in same order otherwise you can burn parts (I did it wrong and are yet not sure if it only burned drive board or it took main board and motor too, those parts are expensive to replace). I replace all those but unfortunately with a bad new drive board so I had to replace that once more. But not it works again. Only miss that second drive board for my first batch.

This is something you can avoid by making photos of everything before taking the wheel apart as you go along. Since I did that first time I thought I had everything I needed. My big mistake. 

• Like 3

Thanks all so much great advice. 
WOW, how complicated is the wheel change huh. Seems a nice video with great steps but amazed at how much you have to disassemble. I might have a go, I’ll see how the shop responds/cost and if they can fit me in. 
 any idea how long it roughly takes? 

i did gear up and hit the grass/off-road a little. It felt really nice and held PSI. I do understand though what is said above. 

Id love to just trust it as I do need to be on the road this week. 

2 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Your tire gives out like MrElwood described and you might be literally “on the road”.

Best,

Hear that, I am thinking possibly the valve stem may have had some funk in it causing the leak. (Meant gunk but funk was cooler)

there was no problem with the stem and nothing violent happened prior to slime. Maybe a bit of dirt or slime stopped the rubber seal. 

it has held all night no drop. I’ll go on the grass and take some gutter drops slow. Just to test a bit. 

• Like 1

Hear that, I am thinking possibly the valve stem may have had some funk in it causing the leak. (Meant gunk but funk was cooler)

Funk is always cool! Especially the 70’s kind. ;)

You can test if the valve stem has started to critically tear out by simply bending and rotating it gently back and forth while the tube is assembled and pressurized. If you hear any air coming out at any point, do not ride that tube ever again, and replace asap.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Funk is always cool! Especially the 70’s kind. ;)

Is there any other? Mudd club :) 

A did wiggle and wobble the stem, no spitting air. I just did my commute of 40klms.

had 40psi and didn’t drop any, I had a good load of canvas with me too quite heavy. 

I really actually love my EUC. So sad to even be without it for a day. 

• Like 2