mten3 post-crash performance

Hi all!

I'm a novice rider who bought an mten3 a week ago. I've logged about 150km and felt pretty comfortable getting around town on the road.

Last night I was limit testing its handling at/near the speed limit of the wheel (~35 km/h), when it seemed like the motor shut off and launched me into the intersection. The wheel was at around 55% charge at the time of crash. WheelLog indicated that motor amperage dropped to 0 for a few seconds before the speed dropped from 35 to 0 at the 22:41 mark ((see screenshot belowsee screenshot below). Additionally, the wheel seemed to shut off again going 10km/h when I got back on it after patching up my injuries (see graph at past the 22:50 mark).

MmqKs82.png

Is the initial shut-off normal behaviour for a wheel pushed to max speed? I always figured it'd tilt the pedals back and force you to reduce speed. And what about the second shutoff, going 1/3 of the max speed? I haven't pushed it since the crash, because handling seems jittery at certain angles.

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 2

First cutoff, yeah. You were going too fast for your battery state, and maybe too fast for an MTen. They are not intended for either speed or distance—mine (a 67v though) cutout at just under 50% going 14 mph (22 kph). GW assumes you know what you're doing and that you know your wheel, so they don't impose any restrictions... it might have beeped at you, that's the most GW will infringe on your judgement. No tiltback.

Second cutoff... not sure what would have triggered that, you were going slowly enough. Maybe stick to speeds you can run off a cutout until it demonstrates that it's ok?

• Like 1

Speed beeps on an mten are akin to a 'self destruct' sequence. I get VERY nervous when I get up to a speed beep. I'd also do as @Tawpie suggests and take it easy for a bit, to see if the wheel behaves for a bit. Thanks for sharing the story with us, its not too often we hear of people pushing the mten to cutout. Hopefully, it wont happen again and you can regain some trust in the little thing. I have the 67v mten also, and I've hit the speed beeps now and then. Yeah, I slow down pronto as its not designed for that speed. Aside from being twitchy, its just got ta tiny battery pack.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

First cutoff, yeah. You were going too fast for your battery state, and maybe too fast for an MTen. They are not intended for either speed or distance—mine (a 67v though) cutout at just under 50% going 14 mph (22 kph). GW assumes you know what you're doing and that you know your wheel, so they don't impose any restrictions... it might have beeped at you, that's the most GW will infringe on your judgement. No tiltback.

Second cutoff... not sure what would have triggered that, you were going slowly enough. Maybe stick to speeds you can run off a cutout until it demonstrates that it's ok?

Ahh, gotcha. Does not having tiltback follow for all Gotway wheels? And yeah, I will definitely work my way back up to a more reasonable speed and see how it handles after some more protective gear arrives in the mail. My wrist guards took the brunt of the impact, and my helmet softened the blow (though I ended up finding the visor ~100m away).

22 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Speed beeps on an mten are akin to a 'self destruct' sequence. I get VERY nervous when I get up to a speed beep. I'd also do as @Tawpie suggests and take it easy for a bit, to see if the wheel behaves for a bit. Thanks for sharing the story with us, its not too often we hear of people pushing the mten to cutout. Hopefully, it wont happen again and you can regain some trust in the little thing. I have the 67v mten also, and I've hit the speed beeps now and then. Yeah, I slow down pronto as its not designed for that speed. Aside from being twitchy, its just got ta tiny battery pack.

Thanks for the tip! I've definitely got a healthy dose of respect for the speed beeps now, especially now that I realize that the wheel won't try recovering from it for you. Do you think there might be unseen damage to the internals, given the unexpected second cutout?

There's a couple things I could suggest. One is to ride test it, pretty easy to do that. You COULD open the little wheel and take a peek to make sure no connections are kinda hanging on barely. The mten is a pretty easy wheel to open. Worst part is removing the lower pads for those cheap screws. Biggest takeaway is to just be a little careful for a bit, until it proves itself. I've never felt tiltback on my mten, so Im betting it doesnt have it.

Hard to say if these will help, but on my mten, it hadn't taken the initial calibrations. It was my first wheel so I didn't realize that fact until after 2 falls and checking from here. Another would be to use medium mode as it does much less pedal dipping and felt much less prone to overpowering. That being said, I would just open it up to double check the wires, nuts and bolts. It'll take a couple hours, but I guarantee it'll be 100% less effort than healing a broken spine.