My first big fall

What a story! I’m so sorry you ended up facing such bad luck.

Do you have a recollection of the impact, in what position did you hit the ground, how did your upper body land, and how exactly did it get to break your collar bone?

Yes, thanks for sharing that. Heal up buddy !

The take away, if I may…

This may well have been an unavoidable accident. A random set of circumstance that added up to a bad crash made all the more insulting by the fact that it wasn’t some careless driver focusing on his or her phone, but an inert pile of dirt left carelessly probably because it was four o’clock.  

2/3 of the way through a familiar loop, just off the trail, and clear sailing. Not. 

This is a reminder to me. Vigilance at all times. Danger lurks sometimes not just around the corner, but dead ahead (read potholes and cracks).

Edited by OldFartRides
  • Like 2

Excellent post, I also thank you for sharing. It does remind me to not get too complacent, because there might actually be a "smite" button on God's computer. (Dilbert, I think it's entitled "God at the computer")

Take care of yourself during the healing and rehab process, I'm glad they got humpty dumpty back together again!

• Like 2

I've also been looking at motorcycle airbags and after watching FortNine's take I think I'm going to be going with the tether option when I finally do decide to get a airbag vest. I'd be worried about the smart sensors being confused by the different riding and crash conditions of an EUC vs motorcycle.

• Like 1

Link to Fortnine's very interesting video.

Wondering if tether is going to work with an EUC though.  How, where to mount tether to EUC?

A motorbike is significantly heavier, so the approximate 30kg force would easily be achieved upon separation.

A light weight EUC, possibly tumbling along within vicinity of rider, might not exert the current force setting required for tether to deploy, or deploy too late.

Might not be possible to adjust/calibrate the gas cylinder puncture force, seems to be purely mechanical.

How long is the tether?  How far is distance between rider and anchor point before it deploys?

Designed for a motorcycle, might not translate to an EUC.

The electronic Alpine Stars Tech-Air 5 system vest looks to be the best option.  Electronic GPS, Accelerometer and Gyroscope seems to make the above considerations irrelevant.

Hopefully other members might have insights to add.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

What a story! I’m so sorry you ended up facing such bad luck.

Do you have a recollection of the impact, in what position did you hit the ground, how did your upper body land, and how exactly did it get to break your collar bone?

I remember slowly rolling while airborne, landing directly on my right shoulder.  My jacket did have pads on the shoulder, but they are pretty thin. What’s funny is the only “damage” any of my clothes got was a small abrasion on the ass of my pants. 

• Like 1

How about a manual inflatable life jacket, just pump it up if you are going to go extreme, and offers great shoulder protection to boot!

https://www.banggood.com/Manual-Inflatable-Life-Jacket-Sailing-Boating-Snorkeling-Vest-Swimming-Survival-Max-Load-200kg-p-1469337.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Super cheap, great colours! and you wont drown.

345339fc-2d34-4cc2-b7e8-9e3ca36a8f3a.jpg

Edited by The Brahan Seer
  • Like 1

Copy and paste of a viewer comment from the Fortnine video:

"20 years ago, I was hit by a car. Without a doubt an airbag would have reduced my injuries. I lost an arm, a lung from having my neck stretched so far that some nerves were pulled out my spinal column paralyzing the arm (I cut it off after waiting 5 years for some recovery that did not happen) and unplugging the phrenic nerve to my right diaphragm. I was wearing the best gear and my Arai saved my life (I still lost my front teeth but it saved my brain). I also broke my neck and back (transvers processors) and punctured both lungs as my broken ribs punctured them as I hit the ground - no permanent problem from them healing up. So yeah, get an airbag."

Occasionally see people walking with one significantly thinner, floppy arm with the hand in an unnatural angle.

2 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

How about a manual inflatable life jacket, just pump it up if you are going to go extreme, and offers great shoulder protection to boot!

https://www.banggood.com/Manual-Inflatable-Life-Jacket-Sailing-Boating-Snorkeling-Vest-Swimming-Survival-Max-Load-200kg-p-1469337.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Super cheap, great colours! and you wont drown.

345339fc-2d34-4cc2-b7e8-9e3ca36a8f3a.jpg

Seriously, considering the risk of not inflating (due to EUC not being a bike), I’d be interested in an inflatable jacket that would just stay inflated. Some of us already carry fairly bulky armor, I don’t find this to be much worse. A model made specifically for that could have several tubes spread as needed for good fit. Inflate with the sale nozzle as your tire.

The ones for floating would probably help a good bit on reducing the impact, though they would probably be restricted by weakness and possibly too low pressure.

• Like 1

Maybe a permanently pre-filled air jacket, with high enough pressure to cushion impact, worn under proper leather jacket.

Downside might be restrictive movements though.

The electronic airbag vest immobilization of the head/neck to prevent spinal/paralysis injuries only activates when needed.

• Like 1

Amazing how offensive it is to simply request time to read what you may be signing. Its not just medical field. THey pulled same shit on me to go skydiving. When I did get to read the slip, it mentioned that I had been properly educated and KNOW the risks. I refused to sign as I had NOT been. They told me, we'll finish breifing you in the plane. I told them I would sign it in the plane then..  I guess they wanted my money because they simply told me the info I needed on the ground, I signed then got in the plane.

Medical teams are used to being viewed as Gods. I am more worried about the treatment and the pages of documents, than I am the injury itself. Glad to hear you're gna make it out okay! Did they offer more than one solution to your injury, or was it 'do as we tell you, or we wont help"? Im not a fan of the idea of plates and screws, so Im always curious if other options are available, even if they arent THE BEST solution?

Good luck on recovery. Its safe to save that euc riding isnt the safest activity in the world. Even those skilled in riding have mishaps on a long enough timeline. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Amazing how offensive it is to simply request time to read what you may be signing. Its not just medical field. THey pulled same shit on me to go skydiving. When I did get to read the slip, it mentioned that I had been properly educated and KNOW the risks. I refused to sign as I had NOT been. They told me, we'll finish breifing you in the plane. I told them I would sign it in the plane then..  I guess they wanted my money because they simply told me the info I needed on the ground, I signed then got in the plane.

Medical teams are used to being viewed as Gods. I am more worried about the treatment and the pages of documents, than I am the injury itself. Glad to hear you're gna make it out okay! Did they offer more than one solution to your injury, or was it 'do as we tell you, or we wont help"? Im not a fan of the idea of plates and screws, so Im always curious if other options are available, even if they arent THE BEST solution?

Good luck on recovery. Its safe to save that euc riding isnt the safest activity in the world. Even those skilled in riding have mishaps on a long enough timeline. Thanks for sharing!

An, they only offered surgery, but I had a few days to research with dr google and it was pretty clear  surgery was my only hope. Fully displaced break on the distal end of the clavicle, and a complete torn tendon. I’ll say it again, I loved the doctors, nurses, and surgeon. It’s just everything else about healthcare that just screams of shady practicies.

Even the concept of insurance seems counterintuitive.   By its very nature an insurance company can’t be there to do what’s best for the customer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Medical teams are used to being viewed as Gods……..Im not a fan of the idea of plates and screws, so Im always curious if other options are available, even if they arent THE BEST solution?

There’s an old saying : People like to complain about doctors ‘til someone gets hurt. Then it’s “ Oh god, hope the doctor comes”.

Also : Talk to a surgeon, they’ll probably want to cut on ya.

Best,

On 9/4/2021 at 1:01 PM, Paul A said:

At $250 a refill every time it’s deployed thats a no go for most people. Also states it will NOT deploy while riding an electric motorcycle while not moving as it cannot detect the engine vibration to know you are standing still at an intersection. 

while this is a great advancement in technology for motorcycles. The fact that an euc riders arms hit first in most crashes this will not protect against shoulder injury from bracing yourself during the fall. This will greatly aid in tumbling which isn’t really how euc riders get injured. 

wish you a speedy recovery @madhatt

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 4:30 PM, s.m. said:

I can recommend this:

I use it in combination with RXR-Bullet. The knee braces are excellent, also.

Just to be clear: the Bumper is not for protection according to its manual, it is for shoulder support post injury.

RXR-Bullet R-and Pro look great: pre pumped airvests, so they are lighter that regular vests and Level 2 protection as well...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fntms_slowdown said:

Just to be clear: the Bumper is not for protection according to its manual, it is for shoulder support post injury.

RXR-Bullet R-and Pro look great: pre pumped airvests, so they are lighter that regular vests and Level 2 protection as well...

You are absolutely right.

It's an in accordance with the EC standard Shoulder protection and it can be used post injury - I see no reason to not use this pre injury.

4u56i09oi.thumb.jpg.d7aa5c7d452e44def790b6ba1e02d1f6.jpg

My friend (inside the car) just dislocated his shoulder a few days ago. After his surgery he says, he will buy one, too - like most people do - You're right: It's clearly more post injury. Now, when I fall on my shoulder, I feel nothing because there's nearly no impact. It feels comfortable and safe.

If I had those RXR knee braces a few years earlier, they would have saved me from two cruciate ligament injuries. On my shoulder I do not want to wait for any injuries.

Ok - the only disadvantage is, that I need a minimum of 10 minutes pre and post riding just for clothing.